Recent content by whowey

1. W

What is up with Ebay?

I had a little spurt of eBay activity this week. I went looking for a cheap engine for my 9 year old and came away with one that better fits my time period and a center flow hopper. The center flow had one car pictured, but a different car described in the seller's description. The car I...
  2. W

What is up with Ebay?

I stopped buying on Ebay due primarily to lousy sellers. Overpriced items, way too much shipping costs and sketchy behavior like taking photos at angles to hide damage.
  3. W

Home again ....

I have a couple that I got burnt on with Ebay purchases. The condition of the cars isn't worth the repairs to them. So one will end up being used as a flat car load. The funny thing is the trucks,axles and couples off of the cars are actually pretty nice quality ones so they will get swapped...
  4. W

Help finding 2-inch pink foam

HS Supply/White Cap carries the 2 foot wide by 8 foot long by 2 inch thick panels. They are used in concrete forming. Its the DOW blue stuff rather than the Owens Corning pink stuff. There is a White Cap store in Chatsworth.
  5. W

Rough days for our real railroaders

I'm in the heavy infrastructure field, we are still a mess since the collapse. Far too much of the recovery money went to crap like asphalt paving, chipseal and painting. All that does is put off real work and fund another mansion for oil company execs.
  6. W

Using a Multi-meter

My 20 year old Cell Shack DMM will start reading everything high when the battery is starting to go bad. It will slowly drop back down then read low as the battery voltage drops off further. My Harbor Freight one will do the same thing.
  7. W

Winter Layout Projects

Finish the unscenicked storage/staging yard and finally nail down a complete track plan rather than just pieces, that I start, hate and restart.
  8. W

Freelancing.....

That is where instead of completely repainting a loco for a second/third/fourth owner, they simpy paint over the numbers on the loco, or possibly the name and numbers and out their own identification on it. Here is a quick google find of a patch job on an RL loco. It is not mine picture, just a...
  9. W

Can't complain about LHS ...

I have used roll-offs many times over the years. Its often a bit of a chore to get them picked up as you generally get charged for the number of days you have it. The biggest issue I have had the last couple times is that we have alot of folks that will go around digging through people's...
  10. W

Industry choice opinions: Cement plant questions

I worked for a bit at a concrete/ cement bagging plant. We received 2 different types of cement, aggregate and fly ash via rail. We also shipped some box cars of palleted bags of concrete mixes to customers. Yes, you could run conveyors over a double main. Many operations have hundreds of...
  11. W

Industry choice opinions: Cement plant questions

I worked for a bit for a concrete company. We received the cement, gravel
  12. W

CNW switching layout

I have been there a couple times and live an hour or so away. The GM truck factory is gone and all of its related switching. Most of what rail activity I have seen is SWOR when I have been there. But I was there for work and didn't have much spare time for fanning.
  13. W

E-books or paper ones?

My wife has a goodly number of e-book credits and has been using more than her share of the family hobby budget the last couple months. She offered to let me use some of her credits and help settle up that deficit. I am not a big user of the e-readers, but I do have some of my own e-books. I...
  14. W

Let's get LOADED!!!.....

I'm not super happy with the way the chains turned out, but it needs a bit of weathering and she is ready to travel.
  15. W

JD Lumber Load

I have some of the older Jaeger kits. Very nice project for a lazy afternoon hanging out with the family. Cutting out all those little wraps and wrapping each individual block eats up some time. One advantage to them is the kit provides enough blocks to represent a full car. If you use a...

Back