Winter Layout Projects

Greg@mnrr

Section Hand
What are your plans for special projects this winter?

I'll be finishing some track ballasting and doing scenery work. Also on the list is completing some background buildings and installing DCC decoders in some of DC locomotives.

On my other "To Do List" is cleaning out a portion of the basement so I can expand my layout into the area next winter.

Please share your plans and projects.

Thanks.

Greg

Get the yard and industrial area tracks laid down. Wire the layout for operation, fun part will be wiring all the turnout frogs. (Oh, joy!)
Finish building the bridges and do the water feature on the lift out section.
If I get all that done, I will be pleasantly surprised.

Finish the unscenicked storage/staging yard and finally nail down a complete track plan rather than just pieces, that I start, hate and restart.

Cleanup the mainline in the area I scenic ed last winter and reattach the missing rail. Finish off a half dozen builds I kept abandoning for the next one and try to get wharf area completed.

Boy, I hope to complete some scenery from fascia to backdrop. But that has been my project for the last two years. On my lower level I have about 150' of fascia/backdrop with about 4' completed. I have another 80' or so with 60-75% coverage. Most of the backdrop has been painted blue, with a few low-relief buildings and cardboard cut-outs taped in place. Rural areas have some rudimentary trees and hills painted. 120' of mainline track, and 300' of associated sidings and spurs are painted and ballasted with about 80% of the structures in place. I have most of what I need, I have painted over 400 Presier figures, acquired over 250 vehicles from Larry ("The Long-Winded Old Fart", from this forum), and have at least $300 worth of ground foam etc. Just can't seem to get motivated...LOL. I have intentionally not painted or ballasted any track on my upper level (about 1/3 built) until I finish more of the lower level, hoping that it would kick-start me into working on the lower one.
Willie

I really need to get the Tortoise switch machines installed on the lower level before I start the upper level, not making that mistake again!
Also hoping to convert over to the Railpro op system gradually.

Projects? A lot of them. I do want to continue to add details to the town of Logan, such as signs on the businesses, add figures to the town as soon as I get some painted (another project?) build sand towers and install them at the engine facility, complete a fence around a salvage yard and the list goes on and on.

My project is to get my trains running on my new layout
Oh wait ......................did you mean winter 2017 or 2018?

Forum:

I forgot a couple of other projects on my "List". I want to do a track plan of my layout ala George Sellios who in one of his videos said he built his F&SM by constructing the bench work first and then doing the track. I don't have anything plans other than a few rough drawings of the track plan.

The second item on the second list is to research my motive power on the web and do a binder full of photos and historical details about my locos. A friend of mine saw one of my locos and said he seen the prototype still in operation doing some switching in a Milwaukee area rail yard.

The last item is to do more rail fanning in my area. I have the CN, CP, and Wisconsin Southern within a couple of miles of my home. I can hear the CN and CP now that the leaves are gone and sound travels better.

That's all.

Greg

That's more or less what I did Greg. The benchwork, which is mostly along the walls was built and areas where towns would be were selected. Town areas were put on flat area (aka plywood) and the rest was all open grid. Industries were decided on in the towns and track was laid out accordingly.

When I started the layout not much was available and not being much of an artist, I started using Walthers Instant Horizons. I tried and did succeed in blending the hardshell scenery into the backdrop. I never had, and still don't have a drawn out trackplan.

By the way, years ago I did get to personally visit George Sellios layout. Only the first part of the layout was built and I was in total awe at the detail work he did. An amazing layout. I have been following it for years.

Hi Greg, I am going to try to 1) install my new backdrop and 2) get the scenery transition area completed. It is about 32' of backdrop and currently I am building the framework for it, also have lights that will be incorporated in it. Hope to have these two done around the first of the year.

Still trying to decide if I want to tear out a little track in the yard and redo some of that work. Some other finishing touches planned will probably take me the rest of the winter.

Back