Freelancing.....

Milwaukee Road:

My "Milwaukee Northern" layout is based on the Milwaukee Road and Milwaukee motive power and rolling stock is dominate on the layout. The Milwaukee Northern leases the trackage rights and owns some spur lines to industries. Milwaukee Northern locos are either leased or patched.

Like my signature indicates, you may see SOO, C&NW and Wisconsin Central running on the layout.

Albeit, I also like the DM&IR and the BNSF and I may run one of their locos from time to time.

I know worried about the "perfect" world and rivet counters when it comes to motive power.

Milwaukee Road, its your layout, do what you want.

Thanks.

Greg

Cheers Greg....true that!
I'm using the Milwaukee Road and some of my other favourites for inspiration, borrowing here and there....also have the idea, where my company asks Milwaukee Road, to rebuild some of our GP7/9's and SD7/9's to GP20's and SD10's...due overload of my workforce! ;):D

Aye, I will go for all the bells and whistles, or whatyacallit, later on...
Using the Nathan M5 for the road units, should I stick simpler ones for the switchers?

Greg

Can I ask what "patched" locos refers to ?

That is where instead of completely repainting a loco for a second/third/fourth owner, they simpy paint over the numbers on the loco, or possibly the name and numbers and out their own identification on it.

Here is a quick google find of a patch job on an RL loco. It is not mine picture, just a really good example of what it is.
http://s90.photobucket.com/user/ratled/media/Misc Freight cars/SPpatch.jpg.html

ah yes, get that equipment out there to work. It doesn't make money in the paint booth. I have been patching, (covering the Lionel name with my magnetized logo) and didn't know it!

Aye, I will go for all the bells and whistles, or whatyacallit, later on...
Using the Nathan M5 for the road units, should I stick simpler ones for the switchers?

From what pics I've seen, usually single tones ,but not always.
Switchers4-1-2014027_zpsae64d9e9.png

Forum:

My Milwaukee Northern is in its own room and when you enter you are greeted by what is known as the Saxeville Interchange. This section of the layout is approximately 2.5 ft. by 12 ft. and contains five yard tracks and spurs that lead to the New River coal mine and an old engine servicing building.

While the main emphasis is on the Milwaukee Road, at the Saxeville Interchange, one may find the SOO, C&NW and other "foreign" road engines. The SOO and C&NW have trackage rights on this portion of the Milwaukee. The layout is relatively small so the main line can be quite active, making for more interest.

I'm addicted to collecting locomotives and run some favorites when I can. One of my favorites is a GP 38 BNSF loco that was one of my first DCC equipped locos.
In fact, many years ago I purchased a 0-8-0 Northern Pacific steamer, I have a sound decoder that needs to be installed. It doesn't fit my era or location, but it will pull a NP coach car and two C&NW wooden cabooses as a fan train. Anything is possible when its our own layout and railroad.

Regards.

Greg

Great stuff Greg!

Still working on, as I said, colours and the logo, also what other bits and bobs to use, decided to use the Nathan M5's on my road units (M3's on the switchers), think that I'll add plows as well....

Plus, a map with the trackage, still fiddle with the roster too!

Milwaukee Road 113:

As for a name for your layout, how about The Milwaukee Central and Western? This would provide the Milwaukee Road influence and suggest that the road served areas in the western US?

Thanks.

Greg

Milwaukee Road 113:

As for a name for your layout, how about The Milwaukee Central and Western? This would provide the Milwaukee Road influence and suggest that the road served areas in the western US?

Thanks.

Greg

Cheers Greg!

Just been think about that, well not that name, but those subsidiaries of Milwaukee & Western, maybe making M&W itself a bit larger and reduce number of them, don't want to grow too big, at the same, I'm trying work out an credible way to reach my favourite railroads in the east, D&H, LV, N&W, RDG, NYNH&H...
I'm not gonna go as far east so that I reach the New Haven, that I'd be losing what I'm trying to aim for, a midwestern/western system, but any of those that were close to the Great Lakes, N&W won't be a problem I think, after the NKP and Wabash mergers in the early 60's(?), LV i think I was relatively close to reach and D&H as well....

So far the M&W's subsidiaries are...

Michigan Interstate (Iron ore railroad) I changed name on this one...
North Shore & Hudson River
Pittsburgh, Cleveland & West Virginia
Minneapolis & North Western
Montana & Wyoming

Looking cut down the list to half, I definitely like the The Milwaukee Central & Western...
Wish I had a large railroad map to put on the wall now! lol

Oh well, time to get ready for my nightshift....
As always, ideas and suggestions are always welcome!

I had a whole system for my freelance railroad when it was set in modern day. Now that I model 1925 I have the Van Swergin brothers and the remnants of Jay Goulds attempted true continental railroad to thank for connections west.
A number of older shortlines that survived are now class 2 railroads after acquiring former class 1 trackage. During the 60's-90's merger era alot of crazy things really did happen. For example the Guilford railroad system was given the D&H to provide competition for Conrail. This created a system covering PA to Maine. The idea failed but the ICC was desperate to maintain the idea of competition between railroads after merger. Its not far fetched to imagine a financially stable railroad getting trackage rights or even the whole rail line from city X to city Y.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Back