Recent content by cmpyx

1. C

Northern steel--layout

Thanks Ironman, Most people paint their BF that stupid red like Walthers has on the box and I think this looks unrealistic. I have to look around for Earth. I haven't seen that in my area. The closest match so far would be Teracota. As for your tip, I never thought of just using an eye...
  2. C

Northern steel--layout

Great so far Ironman, If you would, what color is that you used on the BF pouring floor? And if you wouldn't mind sharing, how did you get the staining on the ovens to drip like that?
  3. C

Northern steel--layout

Great so far Ironman, If you would, what color is that you used on the BF pouring floor? And if you wouldn't mind sharing, how did you get the staining on the ovens to drip like that?
  4. C

Northern steel--layout

5. C

Northern steel--layout

6. C

Clear window plastic crazed/fogged

Hi Ken, That I am aware of, but some others may have some suggestions. One suggestion I tell builders is not to use the clear plastic that manufacters have in the kits. It is too thick and usually is cloudy or scratched from the molding process. I set this aside and use velum or...
  7. C

N scale Rerailer Inserts

My trains do not derail unless of course I cause it by doing something stupid, but I have rerailers on my track as well. First, as you state, it is extra precaution, but also because I see this all the time on prototype. I just buy rail from http://www.handlaidtrack.com/ and solder together my...
  8. C

new guy and overwhelmed here.

Hey Gary.....like the benchwork. Let me know when you get your book. The link I provided should also give you some ideas on wiring.
  9. C

Gary, Perfect plan. If you are going to invest in a new engine, really anything new (especially the Kato's) will be more than heavy enough and powerful enough to do what you want. You are limited to the F45's, etc. and can get the SD70/80, ES44AC, etc and have a modern railroad, but before...
  10. C

My Layout

Joe, Good layout......you designed it so you obviously like it.....Doesn't matter what others think. It is your model train. Do with it what you want...... JUST HAVE FUN!
  11. C

That is a good description Trinity. Got a good laugh.....but I think VirginiaCave is probably best just using DC and blocking. They want to keep their design small and using DCC on something like this is way overkill. If they ever expand, which it sounds like it probably will not, then they...
  12. C

Anyrail

Thanks Cary for the infromation. I have tried XtracCad and found it difficult and cumbersome to use. Just before reading your response I found SCARM and am reading through the online doc. I will give this a try. Don't get me wrong. Although I love Anyrail, I wish there could be an offering...
  13. C

Gary, I do not think that your design is bad.....it is exactly what you were aiming for. As for some of your questions: 1) the radius, although a little tight, will suffice. Some larger, like the 89' autocarriers (if you use them) or 85' boxcars, will really hang over the edge and not look...
  14. C

Anyrail

I currently and have had for some time a small table top n scale layout. Now that I have room, I intend on making a full size room layout. I have found anyrail to be an excellent tool for helping me design the layout but am limited to 50 pieces of track at a time. Trying to piece these little...

Back