My Layout

JoeG

New to N scale
I have been reading the layout forum and there are a lot of good ideas kicked around so I would like to post my layout and see what you everyone thinks. I only have a 24" x 72" space to work with. I used Atlas N Scale, code 55 track in the SCARM program.

Looks good to start with, though lacking in operational opportunities with the available yards (or lack thereof). Whether that's something that would bother you you'll have to decide for yourself. :)

Welcome Joe!

If you have space around your 24" x 72" table, consider turning it inside out.

I'm a big fan of around the room shelf type railroads. You can set the at any height, what ever is comfortable for you. You can either fasten them to the wall or setup on narrow free standing tables. Mine is 24" deep at most with most of the shelf at 12" or even less. You can go completely around the room if you want continuous running, just use bridges or lift out bridges for doorways.
This will free the entire center of the room. If the railroad is high enough most furniture will fit against the wall under the railroad. My current railroad is point to point, using turntables and wyes to turn steam engines. A lot of places for industry switching too.

Joe,

Good layout......you designed it so you obviously like it.....Doesn't matter what others think. It is your model train. Do with it what you want......

JUST HAVE FUN!

Thanks for all you feedback. The around the room idea is good I just have to convince my wife to do that :)

Thanks for all you feedback. The around the room idea is good I just have to convince my wife to do that :)

Hang in there Joe! Keep talking to her. I finally convinced my wife to give me the garage after almost 10 years of begging, pleading......;)

Many newcomers to design make the same mistake with crossovers and curves, creating S-curves that may impact reliability. This is easily remedied by flipping them.

oval_x-ovr_s-curves.gif

A little more width would open up many interesting options. And as it is, it would be possible to make better use of the center of the layout for more long-term operating interest. These layouts are designed for the the dreaded HO 4X8, but note how they use the inner sections of the layout. Any of these built in about 30"-32" wide would allow for better broader curves in N.

Shortline with two ovals

falls_mill_ho_4x8.gif

Branchline with yard and interchange

ca_4x8.gif

As others have noted, going around-the-room is often better for most spaces. Anyone designing their own layout would benefit most from a study of John Armstrong's Track Planning for Realistic Operation. This will be time much better spent than dozens of hours in CAD revision, IMHO, because it will show you why tracks should be arranged in certain ways for more long-term interest and fun.

Best of luck.

Back