new guy and overwhelmed here.

If this is going to be placed in the corner of a room, you will not be able to reach the tracks in back very easily unless you climb on the benchwork. Narrowing the benchwork in the corner to create a 30" reach or less would be preferred for this reason to two rectangles joined in an "L".

Also note that one path through the double crossover creates an s-curve now than may prove unreliable. Moving the double crossover so that there is straight track equal to the length of your longest car or engine away from any curves will resolve that.

Many folks find that watching trains orbit does not provide a lot of long-term interest, but others like it. In your space, there are many interesting options.

Best of luck.

point taken about the crossover. i will move it to the right a section or so. as for the reach. i am 6'4" and to even compensate more i put my layout on casters. so i can move it out from the wall when needed. i will put the anti-rollers under the casters when i need it to be absolutely stationary.

Hey Gary.....like the benchwork. Let me know when you get your book. The link I provided should also give you some ideas on wiring.

Guys correct me if I am wrong here but if his top is 3' wide on the ends shouldn't he be able to get a 16" radius curve on the outside? Granted, he would need some flex track but wouldn't that be possible? I was steered away from sectional track as a beginner from the start. Too limiting.

Jeff

i have my 3/4 inch foam sheeting down and i laid out the track to get ready for the test runs. how do you temporarily attach the track to the foam? i have flat old school type thumb tacks but the heads are too wide to use.
and at my crossover i am going to wire the corresponding switches together so they throw at the same time. could i wire all four together? since only one train will going through the interlocking at any one time. would this be too much of a current draw on the power pack?
still haven't picked up all my old trains from my coworker yet. so i have a Bachmann gp-50 coming in the mail today so that and the two rolling stock cars i have will have to do for now.

gary

i have my 3/4 inch foam sheeting down and i laid out the track to get ready for the test runs. how do you temporarily attach the track to the foam? i have flat old school type thumb tacks but the heads are too wide to use.

Try these: (You can send the wife in ;) )

http://www.joann.com/dritz-quilting-fine-sharp-steel-pins-3-4-350-pk/xprd274779/

xprd4790176_m.jpg

Your layout looks very good, by the way. It's a very similar size and shape as mine!

Last edited by a moderator:
I found some 1/2" nails with small heads on them at the local big box hardware store, they fit snugly in the holes in the track. You can use them temporarily, allows you to run trains to get the track alignment just right and work out any kinks.

thanks guys! i was thinking too deep there. simple small nails. 79 cents at lowe's and $5.79 when bought as "temporary track fastening devices" at hobby shops!

tonight i will attempt to start running my buss control wiring underneath now that i know generally where it will be. i am going to run main power to 4 points on the outer rail line and two on the inner. i guesstimate my outer loop to be approx. almost 30'.

gary

i wanted to build something that is simple and basic that i can have my 4 year old granddaughter and i spend some quality time around.
Too "simple & basic" will equate into boredom in a short period of time. Nothing wrong with spaghetti as long as it isn't overdone or without purpose. You need operational room to grow into, not out of.

Of course "spaghetti" to some is more than one track. ;)

Back