Running Bear's December 2022 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just said (fill in the blank) and grabbed some paint. After a little more battle damage I ended up with this.
View attachment 157344
And the rest. Thanks for the help guys.
6BDDDFAA-3BFF-4C08-88C0-E0F7811DA6C1.jpeg
D936F994-214A-438C-8AEA-B23EEC153132.jpeg
C999D93B-3D33-426C-8644-675E26BD2A18.jpeg

Willie: Thanks. I'd appreciate any help I can get.

DJ(Ken): While I give to local charities and know there are people in need, I had my eyes opened to that years ago. Dad was the Religious Ed director at a local church and I was helping him deliver the Christmas Baskets to "needy" families in the Grand Rapids, Mi area. A couple of the families with kids showed me all the stuff they had thus received from charities. They were having a better Christmas than I was going to have. Not saying they weren't having problems, but the scam has happening since the early 70's at least.

I guess I'm just too much like Scrooge.

Willie: Thanks. I'd appreciate any help I can get.

DJ(Ken): While I give to local charities and know there are people in need, I had my eyes opened to that years ago. Dad was the Religious Ed director at a local church and I was helping him deliver the Christmas Baskets to "needy" families in the Grand Rapids, Mi area. A couple of the families with kids showed me all the stuff they had thus received from charities. They were having a better Christmas than I was going to have. Not saying they weren't having problems, but the scam has happening since the early 70's at least.

I guess I'm just too much like Scrooge.
Understand the dissolution with the Thanksgiving and Christmas programs to provide for those who are down and out at the time. I don't know if those who are scamming the system realize they are taking from someone else who is truly in need or if they actually care. I'm inclined to think the latter.

I don’t know about scams but we have always preferred to give to the local food pantries. That way we know our donations are used wisely. That said, while working the office always had the toy drive that that gave to the Toys for Tots done by the Marines.

BIGTROUBLE, after looking forever and buying last week a few of the BLMA/Atlas reefers I have found a legit source with all the numbers remaining I may want. Price is retail but if you want them you want them. The ARMN reefer by BLMA/Atlas is one of the easiest sells in the weathering market IF it has hand painted graffiti.

Texting last night with Alocomotive (James) last night about the slowdown of weathering sales and the expensive graffiti items (IMO). Right after our conversation I found the reefers I want but don’t need. 5 is enough for the layout, but I could buy, weather and sell the rest. So I did…after sleeping overnight on the decision

If you are in the market for modern era reefers here you go. I had never purchased from here until this morning
They also have the CEFX and Tropicanna reefers. CEFX I purchased plus the ARMN ones. So, I purchased what I wanted and I see the inventory has been adjusted
7565AEA2-0542-438D-AD88-17A895670288.png

Snow just starting here - - hope the wife-unit makes it okay into Edina. And the log car and load look great!! Well done!

Man, I wish I could shake this crudola. No fever or headaches, so prob not the return of the 'vid, but cough and emptiness and no energy. Not good. Our church secretary who puts together all the handouts for SUnday morning lost her husband Sunday morning so she is off for a week or so. Leave me to put things together. And it is SUnday School Program Sunday so I get to work with a few snippy femmes. Fun, fun, fun. Feeling like the proverbial hammered dog-poo does not help.

Anyone hear of Rick Steins? WHen wifeykins was sicck she watched his cookery show on India. Man, we loves some Indian food! So she bought his book - I bought a Karahi, and we visited the Indian grocery Monday. Plan to cook through the book. I cooked CHicken Vindial last night. Gawd, it was tasty, if I say so myself! But that wiped me out energy-wise and was in bed by 2015. Up at midnight, back asleep circa 0300.

No time for the modeling, so nothing to report on that front. I did try to run my switcher for a few minutes to get a 'boose off a yard track and onto the cabby track and was thoroughly deflated at its sputtering and stalling. Time to clean track.

Those of you who attend church, please pray for your pastors/priests. Lots of pulls on us guys this time of year.

Steve J
THANKS Steve,

hope you can shake the crud. For me, the best thing is a brisk walk, or any kind of walk, in the outdoors. I go out everynight after work for at least 15 maybe 30 minutes. Also, we have dance parties, wife and I, usually after supper. Play some 60's or Motown usually gets us going.

To cheer you up, try this old time song (this must be a remake but makes me smile just the same)

FOR Indian food, you might be close to the best in St. Paul, India Palace, just east of 35W and north of HWY 36, west of Rosedale. I LOVE their food.

Dave

Lazy day so far. Just putzing with minor repairs to the empire.

Fixed a kink in the track up in the mountain range. It was getting bad enough that auto racks were uncoupling. The benchwork underneath had buckled a bit with humidity I guess. One of the main 3" screws where under the track. A bit of cutting, chiseling and removing glued ballast to get to the screw head. Tightened it down, ran a check with a straight edge then an autorack train then glued it all back down.

20221207_133136.jpg
20221207_140733.jpg

Lazy day so far. Just putzing with minor repairs to the empire.

Fixed a kink in the track up in the mountain range. It was getting bad enough that auto racks were uncoupling. The benchwork underneath had buckled a bit with humidity I guess. One of the main 3" screws where under the track. A bit of cutting, chiseling and removing glued ballast to get to the screw head. Tightened it down, ran a check with a straight edge then an autorack train then glued it all back down.

View attachment 157365View attachment 157366
Always something isn’t it. Great looking layout. I just watched the coil car video again

Good morning, a chilly 5° and it snowed during my entire commute, so visibility about 150', drove about 45 mph the whole way. Only added up to a couple inches, I think,

Christian- Clementine was a person in a familiar old time song (Oh my Darling). I suppose it could have been the name of a gold mine somewhere.

Curt - I purchased a reconditioned computer once. It lasted exactly 6 months then simply did not respond. Was a "Toughbook" proved not to be very tough. Will never buy a reconditioned one again, as it was a bit spendy. Since it worked fine out of the box I gave them a good rating. Wish I could go back and change that.

I worked on dulling down my log cars a little, just used some water/white/alcohol. Also added some fine dirt to the bed of the , also some bark, so far I like the way they turned out:

View attachment 157342

The focus is on the back log deck.

more later, Dave LASM
Real branches, nice photo angle, focus spot,just for a second I thought it was a reference photo,excellent work

Afternoon All,

Started out with my morning walk, did some chores then ran errands for several hours. My Christmas present laptop is supposed to be here next Tuesday. Tomorrow I'm heading up to my buddy's house. He has 12 dwarf signals ready for pickup and he's going to look at my sharks.

Dave- Beautiful log car shot.

I hope everyone has a good night.

Evening, all! Just one of those days. First thing this morning, took the dog out, I unknowingly stepped in mud and tracked in the house. Went to the barber shop, an hour and a half wait. No one on the highway seemed to want to get up to the speed limit.
Made a little more progress on the Val-U kit.
1670471864486.png

STAY SAFE
LATER

Good morning fellow Spike drivers & Gandy dancers !

Hi there Francine - Flo, how's it going Mel?
Oh yes Francine, I'd like 2 large eggs, scrambled, 2 strips of bacon sliced into 1/8" cross slices and lightly fried then the eggs scrambled on that. A couple of slices of Rye with peanut butter and Raspberry jam if you have it ? Coffee too of coarse.

Kind of cold and wet to me at: 43°, 93% Humidity.

Yesterday I ventured out into the attached garage to check on any past rain damage to the layout or structure, fortunately everything seemed Okay !!

Vince:. I did attempt to find the blue box that held the HOn3 trucks but couldn't find it. Thinking back though I believe the trucks were early Archbar logging and I used them on a narrow gauge log car. So it wouldn't have help you anyway.

Willie:. Thanks for the info on your ceramic heater. I'm only trying to warm up a 24' x 24' area but concern about how energy efficient they are ? I'm looking at the 1500 W 19" model with 4 modes.

Till later *

Last edited:
Morning all,

44° and cloudy this morning. Supposed to get into the upper 50's later. It's the time of year where it's gloomy most days and getting dark early and light late don't help.

Had 5 does cross in front of me this morning where I hit the one a few years ago. First time I've seen them cross there since that hit. I was able to stop in time as I was able to see them. Old truck had oxidized\opaque headlights.

Smudge: Is that fish and chips with beans? We call them french fries (although I don't believe the French had anything to do with them), but either way looks delicious. I had a piece of Colby\Jack cheese for breakfast. I get a 2# block of it when it's on sale.

Hello from So. Central Wisconsin where the weather will be turning back to Winter later today. The white stuff and high winds are never a good combo and that is the evening forecast. Now it is 28f degrees going to 40 around 3 PM and then starts its retreat into the high teens.

The Ortho appointment was fine. Happy with the progress and he gave me a compression brace that fortunately I was wearing a bit later. As we walked out into the reception area I got hit by one of those ADA scooters. It felt just like hitting the ice as the pain in the hip and back was excruciating when I hit the floor. 6 hours later, a MRI done and read I went home after signing nothing. No additional knee damage but the hip is tender. Bruised not broken. Terry has the security footage of the “incident” and a message from a woman who says her teen has it on video from his cell phone. A 10 year old kid, with inattentive parents being told he cannot drive the scooters hopped on one anyway and my body got in his way. No apologies from the parents or the kid who they tell me kept going after he hit me. He also drove into a nurse.

Any plans I had for the day have changed. Volleyball for the next rounds of the NCAA’s at 2 and 5 pm today are very much in doubt. It was suggested I stay off the leg today. We never got to the post office. I have to send FB Messengers today out to 3 people this morning I was mailing stuff to. #4 was WILLIE, your stuff will be posted today, sorry.

Tired, sore and frustrated I slept from 9pm to 2am in my chair in the cave. Tried the bed for about 40 minutes and went back to the chair and slept till 6:35. I am getting uncomfortable and when Terry gets back I will take the meds they gave me. She must have hid them as they are not where they should be.

bye

Morning all,

44° and cloudy this morning. Supposed to get into the upper 50's later. It's the time of year where it's gloomy most days and getting dark early and light late don't help.

Had 5 does cross in front of me this morning where I hit the one a few years ago. First time I've seen them cross there since that hit. I was able to stop in time as I was able to see them. Old truck had oxidized\opaque headlights.

Smudge: Is that fish and chips with beans? We call them french fries (although I don't believe the French had anything to do with them), but either way looks delicious. I had a piece of Colby\Jack cheese for breakfast. I get a 2# block of it when it's on sale.
No, sausages in batter, (or battered sausages if you prefer), beans and medium chips.

"French fries" are definately an American invention, nothing to do with Christian or his family and friends. 😂

Hello from So. Central Wisconsin where the weather will be turning back to Winter later today. The white stuff and high winds are never a good combo and that is the evening forecast. Now it is 28f degrees going to 40 around 3 PM and then starts its retreat into the high teens.

The Ortho appointment was fine. Happy with the progress and he gave me a compression brace that fortunately I was wearing a bit later. As we walked out into the reception area I got hit by one of those ADA scooters. It felt just like hitting the ice as the pain in the hip and back was excruciating when I hit the floor. 6 hours later, a MRI done and read I went home after signing nothing. No additional knee damage but the hip is tender. Bruised not broken. Terry has the security footage of the “incident” and a message from a woman who says her teen has it on video from his cell phone. A 10 year old kid, with inattentive parents being told he cannot drive the scooters hopped on one anyway and my body got in his way. No apologies from the parents or the kid who they tell me kept going after he hit me. He also drove into a nurse.

Any plans I had for the day have changed. Volleyball for the next rounds of the NCAA’s at 2 and 5 pm today are very much in doubt. It was suggested I stay off the leg today. We never got to the post office. I have to send FB Messengers today out to 3 people this morning I was mailing stuff to. #4 was WILLIE, your stuff will be posted today, sorry.

Tired, sore and frustrated I slept from 9pm to 2am in my chair in the cave. Tried the bed for about 40 minutes and went back to the chair and slept till 6:35. I am getting uncomfortable and when Terry gets back I will take the meds they gave me. She must have hid them as they are not where they should be.

bye
Talk about being in the war's, think it might be prudent for you to stay indoors for the next few weeks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back