Running Bear's September 2022 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
So glad I do not live in Florida anymore.....that hurricane Ian is going right over my old house! After 17 years of living there nope and nope. No more. It's even more dense in population now than when I was there.....and not to mention the people are more dense too....lol.....sigh. A lot of my buddies are out of power. What a mess it will be for days to come.

Anyways in the office today. Cooler temperature seem to be here to stay. I have a feeling we will not be having an Indian summer. When I went for a drive last Saturday, I posted those pictures I notice on my drive several paper wasp nest up in the trees. They were up quite a ways too. Not good!

What Does Weather Lore Say About Wasps’ Nests?​

Weather lore tells us: If you see a wasps nest built low to the ground, expect little snow. If you see one built high, expect a lot of snow. The official weather lore rhyme goes like this:

See how high the hornet’s nest, ‘twill tell how high the snow will rest.

This one does not quite ring true. When they borrow into the ground, THAT'S when there will be tons of snow and frozen. Squirrels will also take fruit to the nest just before the freeze cuz it will stay firm and does not get that outer layer that is slimy.

Good evening gents.

Before anything else, I want to offer a blanket apology to all of you for tramping in yesterday morning and just running wild over the conversations.
I offered up this general approach of mine in my post #1,171: "All that said, I, myself, approach this as I might any other coffee shop. I see a few guys I know (some more than others) and maybe some I agree with (more than others) gathered 'round a table. Get a cup, go over, sit down and say "Good morning 'gents <nod>"...and then listen to what's going on, as far as subject, views, agreements of opinion...or disagreements of opinion. Then chime in or not."
And then I completely disregarded my own wonderful words...and just monopolized this place with sheer number of my posts alone, if nothing else. Really embarrassed about it, frankly. Too much coffee and not enough sleep were contributing factors, sure, but I own it--just thoughtless of me. Sometimes I get overly fond of my own voice, and I also think I somehow need to chime in on every other conversation just because I know something about it. So what, guy? A lot of other people do too, but they don't feel the need to comment on EVERYTHING. Why do you?

It's more often better to just listen in without yammering...and I didn't do that.

Apologies once again.

I can't ski anymore--certainly not bumps/moguls. My left achilles tendon is just gone, so I'm currently negotiating, instead with Flo. Angling for a "season pass" to the "all-you-can-drink" pots of decaf (thx for the dry humor, Willie. :D).

I AM enjoying your posts and photos, Willie, though I've not offered any "likes". The photo of the still in #1,308 cracks me up (maybe it's decaf with an...uh...an adult..."additive?").

------------

Re, and at the cost of being slightly political, the photo of the large number of black-and-whites in #1,243: That might just be members from one of our well known Federal agencies getting together for yet another practice session (hey! Gotta keep those skills sharp!).

What it CAN'T be is a police reunion. They've all been defunded....

-------------

Last:

<and Shudder!!!> #Re post #1,232: That.......abomination...the GG 2/3...

...looks like an electric locomotive, as modified by the director of "The Texas Chainsaw Massacre."

Or...it's just one of Shaquille O'neal's old roller-skates. :D

Either way, I'm gonna have nightmares for the rest of the week.

Last edited:
Chet:
No, I don't think so. I made myself hungry, and we just finished dinner. I make cheese steaks about once a month. Finding the right roll is the biggest challenge...makes a difference.

Hope the shoulder heals quickly. I'm having my own issues with back and legs. Seems like all my joints have flared up... ☹️
Joe- IMO, gotta go with Amoroso.
Hello Terry.welcome back!

Good morning from the cold side of the country.
View attachment 152428

Today is a try to stay warm while working out day. Treadmill for me. Some work to be done at the weathering bench.

I

That’s it, enjoy the day
Tom- thats about what it was when I rolled out of bed this morning, but around sunrise, it was down around 30°.
65302803-DD51-4D6C-922A-863336DB377D.jpeg

Dave(LASM)- probably would have had to scraped the car for the Mrs this am, but she didn’t go in to work today. Last night, I “decided” to have an episode of confusion after taking garbage out to the dumpster, where I wasn’t sure where I lived or what year it was. Apparently, I thought it was 2020 & we lived in Michigan. I also thought we lived in Stratford

Good evening gents.

Before anything else, I want to offer a blanket apology to all of you for tramping in yesterday morning and just running wild over the conversations.
I offered up this general approach of mine in my post #1,171: "All that said, I, myself, approach this as I might any other coffee shop. I see a few guys I know (some more than others) and maybe some I agree with (more than others) gathered 'round a table. Get a cup, go over, sit down and say "Good morning 'gents <nod>"...and then listen to what's going on, as far as subject, views, agreements of opinion...or disagreements of opinion. Then chime in or not."
And then I completely disregarded my own wonderful words...and just monopolized this place with sheer number of my posts alone, if nothing else. Really embarrassed about it, frankly. Too much coffee and not enough sleep were contributing factors, sure, but I own it--just thoughtless of me. Sometimes I get overly fond of my own voice, and I also think I somehow need to chime in on every other conversation just because I know something about it. So what, guy? A lot of other people do too, but they don't feel the need to comment on EVERYTHING. Why do you?

It's more often better to just listen in without yammering...and I didn't do that.

Apologies once again.
No offense taken, and speaking as a card-carrying member of the old-fart shaking fist at clouds club: Welcome! We gather to yell at clouds on Tuesdays, and shake fists at clouds on Thursdays. ;) practicing on any other day of the week is encouraged. :cool:

In other news, woke up with a sore spot in my throat overnight. I think it's from that new resin. I left a print job going overnight and forgot to bump the exhaust fan back on.

Took Terry's idea of a bigger fan, stuck it in the paint booth, and opened a few windows upstairs (3D printer in the basement without windows - condo was built in 1974). When I got up, I donned a mask, cleaned the printer, and prints. Dumped old resin into the jug and sealed tightly.

Cranked the aircleaner to 11, and am treating the throat with honey and coffee.

I'll take a test for the coof later today just to make sure it's not that. I'm 3+ days past my last contact with the travel to my conference, so I'm hoping it is not the Coof. Supposed to travel to a gaming convention this weekend. The gent I'm rooming with at the hotel doesn't need it if I do have a virus.

Last edited:
Good morning all, 32° and clear, didn't see any deer this morning also did not get behind a school bus so the day is starting out GREAT!

Chet - especially nice blend with backdrop on that last pic yesterday, you really had the collection of 50's automobiles! I hope the shoulder improves, when my wife was doing PT everything hurt, then she quit and said she felt much better. She is only 67 so just a spring chick maybe when she catches up to you it won't work like that

Terry - canned soup, that is a hoot

Todd - last year the wasp nest was 15' above ground but we only got a couple feet of snow. Maybe there is a formula we are supposed to run to make it work?

Snowman - no need to apologize, I usually ignore any posts that are too wordy... 😁

Took some pics last night, found those people missing yesterday came out after the sun went down:

IMG_2717.JPG

IMG_2720.JPG

more later, Dave LASM

Good evening gents.

Apologies once again.

I can't ski anymore--certainly not bumps/moguls. My left achilles tendon is just gone, so I'm currently negotiating, instead with Flo. Angling for a "season pass" to the "all-you-can-drink" pots of decaf (thx for the dry humor, Willie. :D).

I AM enjoying your posts and photos, Willie, though I've not offered any "likes". The photo of the still in #1,308 cracks me up (maybe it's decaf with an...uh...an adult..."additive?").

------------

Re, and at the cost of being slightly political, the photo of the large number of black-and-whites in #1,243: That might just be members from one of our well known Federal agencies getting together for yet another practice session (hey! Gotta keep those skills sharp!).

What it CAN'T be is a police reunion. They've all been defunded....

-------------

Last:

<and Shudder!!!> #Re post #1,232: That.......abomination...the GG 2/3...

...looks like an electric locomotive, as modified by the director of "The Texas Chainsaw Massacre."

Or...it's just one of Shaquille O'neal's old roller-skates. :D

Either way, I'm gonna have nightmares for the rest of the week.
Monopolize away. There was no harm in your many posts

Joe- IMO, gotta go with Amoroso.

Tom- thats about what it was when I rolled out of bed this morning, but around sunrise, it was down around 30°. View attachment 152501
Dave(LASM)- probably would have had to scraped the car for the Mrs this am, but she didn’t go in to work today. Last night, I “decided” to have an episode of confusion after taking garbage out to the dumpster, where I wasn’t sure where I lived or what year it was. Apparently, I thought it was 2020 & we lived in Michigan. I also thought we lived in Stratford
You don’t want to live in Stratford do you?

Good Morning All from Gulf Shores AL, where it is clear and a frigid 58°. Waves outside are lessening from their 3'-4' height yesterday. The NE wind has been brutal, and the whole southern Alabama area is under a fire warning. No umbrellas on the beach yesterday or today, and the rip current warning is still in effect. Last full day here before leaving around 0800 tomorrow, giving us plenty of time to miss the rush hour in Mobile, an hour away. We were still able to sit on the beach yesterday and watch waves and seagulls. Most of the bikini clad girls should not have been wearing them. High temperatures here in the lower 80's for a while, back home they will be in the upper 80's when we arrive Saturday afternoon.

Woke up this morning aching a bit, I believe it's a result of walking a half mile in soft sand yesterday. The previous two days when I walked a mile each day on the side walk out front presented no problems. Believe that I'll stick with the sidewalk.

We went to eat at a local greasy spoon hamburger place last night, and to my surprise, they had fried cheese curds as an appetizer! Thought that I would give them a try, since I only heard about them a few months ago here in the Coffee Shop. OK, but nothing special. Their onion rings were much better and the burger was outstanding.

That's it for a little while, it's the time of day that my wife wants her laptop. Everybody have a great day,

Good morning. The 8AM getaway will be late. They just both arrived at the coffee pit and don’t seem to be in any hurry! The Urus and Epi-pens are packed and ready to go.

The birthday cake last night was excellent and the little piece I had put my blood glucose levels over 200 at midnight causing me some issues trying to sleep. Good wake up number though at 128. But, because we are driving Terry’s SUV I have room in the back seat to crash and I will.

enjoy the day

Good Morning!

Had a little scare the other day, when I turned over the truck ignition and gasoline started spraying out from under the truck. Lots of gasoline.
Turns out, a mechanic didn't lock in the fuel line to the fuel rail when I had the truck worked on last week. I'm surprised it lasted a week before it finally let go. Anyway, good thing I'm not a smoker, because I could have been ex-Guy, the human torch.
The dealership that did original work refunded me cost of the repair and tow job.

Anyway, since I was without a vehicle yesterday, I went for a long, peaceful walk into the CN staging area.
CN WtCrt Staging_09-28-2022.JPG

Hoped I would run into a couple of locomotives to photograph. Wasn't to be, though. Turned out to be a quiet, peaceful, uneventful walk.
That's ok, those walks are good for the soul.

I believe the wife is going to force me to move big rocks around in her garden today. If I'm hurting later, it might be awhile before I come back in with anything railway related.

Have a great day, everyone!

Good morning all, 32° and clear, didn't see any deer this morning also did not get behind a school bus so the day is starting out GREAT!

Chet - especially nice blend with backdrop on that last pic yesterday, you really had the collection of 50's automobiles! I hope the shoulder improves, when my wife was doing PT everything hurt, then she quit and said she felt much better. She is only 67 so just a spring chick maybe when she catches up to you it won't work like that

Terry - canned soup, that is a hoot

Todd - last year the wasp nest was 15' above ground but we only got a couple feet of snow. Maybe there is a formula we are supposed to run to make it work?

Snowman - no need to apologize, I usually ignore any posts that are too wordy... 😁

Took some pics last night, found those people missing yesterday came out after the sun went down:

View attachment 152508

View attachment 152509

more later, Dave LASM

Dave: I never thought where the nests were related to snow. I always thought it was cold. Few years ago we found nests in the trees and thought WTF. That winter was unseasonably warm with some snow but we did not go below 0 ifn I remember correctly. The next winter was the opposite; Jackets and Daubers we're all tunneling into the ground, even the nests under the eaves that I hadn't killed were abandoned. Squirrels were stashing apples up in their tree nests and the Robins even disappeared. It went to -20 at times that winter with a couple feet of snow.

We know when that happens as the 2nd bathroom freezes and the toilet gets slow. Yet another thing for me to fix. PEX to that bathroom is pretty much hidden in one spot, and that spot goes over bare slab concrete on the ground. Just not enough heat coming from the floor. Heck, I can't even get into it for heat tape. Maybe we are lucky as we want new flooring in that area. When we get to that I will pull the subfloor and do what I can do.

Later

Good Morning All!
56F in Libby.
57F in Olive Branch.

Going to pick our *last* run about 10. Heading for Ruther Glen. We think we will beat Ian to VA, although we probably will experience some of the outer portions of the storm. Good thing we got new wipers last week.

Plan is to get back to Louisville and drop the trailer, clean out and up the tractor except for bedding. Will sleep there one more night then head home. Since the car will be filled with our stuff, no sleeping in it and will have to do the motel thing a couple of nights. Still want to stop a couple of places on the way: Minuteman Silo near Wall SD, And the Lizard place again near Spearfish SD to grab a couple of thunder eggs. Not going to the Rock Hall...dang.. as Maria has Medical on the 6th and need to do that. Daughter in Missoula wants us to stop by for a bit. After that, nothing but hobbies, both new and old.

So tomorrow about noon we will be safe and sane FORMER truck drivers!

Later

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back