Running Bear's September 2022 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
So now I just assume everything I see on the tv or hear on the radio is "slanted" to embellish the story.
Jeff: You're not the only one...that doesn't make you a pessimist though.

Curt: Great news. That was a nasty storm on the Gulf Side.

James: Great haul.gotta love it.

George: I somehow knew you would catch that point.

Chet: Thanks. The E7 is painted in the last PRR passenger scheme. I plan on repainting one of mine to match. Hope the shoulder is better, Get well.

Visited the club down south again today.
I wanted to hold an open house this weekend for members of that club to visit my layout. One of the members said he would send me a roster of the membership so I could send out the invite myself. He forgot to do that and I didn't have a means of contacting him to remind him.
Last Thursday was a work session at the layout so I went on down there again to see what they might be doing. While there, I talked to the club prez about the open house. Yeah, he'll send me the club roster when he gets home. Well, he forgot too and I had no means of contacting him.
Today, I went down there again and brought up the topic of the open house and club roster. The club treasurer was there and told me he would send it to me. I got home and tried to open the file but it was corrupted. I sent an email back to him but he hasn't responded yet.
Time is drawing down and people may not be able to respond tomorrow to come here on Saturday.
I'll prolly have to put off the open house until sometime in November.

Good evening Shop Dwellers!

For better or worse, I'm back; I told my blog followers across the street that I no longer have sufficient material to post an update every 24hrs like I've been doing for the past 4 months, thanked them for their interest, and said that it was time for me to move on. My layout has gone to seed from neglect during this period, and I need to straighten it up again.

I'm home by myself now; wife and daughter are vacationing over in Scotland until a week from today. In theory that should give me plenty of time this weekend to get the trainroom back in order - if I can just avoid being lured down any Youtube rabbit holes. Especially the ones about Ian - I've been worried about our Florida friends ever since I saw its projected path right along the I-4 corridor, and all the video footage about homes around Orlando being filled with water. I was really happy when I saw that Curt posted that he and Phil weren't too seriously impacted by the storm.

Terry - hope it doesn't cause you any harm, and that your property isn't too close to a river.

I, too, am mystified as to why Sherrel hasn't been here - hope he's ok...

Good Night - and have a Pleasant Tomorrow!

On my way home after work I saw this train on the bridge crossing the Hudson River at Stillwater NY. Pics turned out nice in the sun light.

20220929_170807.jpg
20220929_170808.jpg
20220929_170810.jpg
20220929_170811.jpg
20220929_170816.jpg

And I have a head cold...

Two days of negative C-19 tests... But was up from 3:30 sitting in the recliner with headache and sinus pressure. I should start draining today. So lots of honking...

And, I'm supposed to attend a gaming con up in Lansing MI this weekend. Need to message the chap driving and supposedly sharing a room with me. See if he wants it solo if I throw money into the pot.

Ugh... wonderful timing... Not!

Morning all,

Was on a bit earlier, but wasn't able to post.

56° and partly cloudy going for a high of 82° once again. Gotta go out and mow when it gets light enough to see. Then work on the laundry, etc. Typical Saturday stuff as I lose it by working tomorrow instead.

Wife's last day of work. She has to work until close, nothing like an 11.5 hour day with no breaks. Still have some families looking for daycare after 6 weeks since the notice of the daycare shutting down. When they close, there are no daycare centers left in the nearby city she works in. There are efforts to get a new one opening someplace, but that is still 90+ days out, due to state licensing, inspections, etc. Some folks wanted to rent the church building where the wife works, but that building is grandfathered, and once the current license is handed back to the state, (happens during a change in ownership as well), the building needs major renovation as it would no longer meet current requirements. Too many floors in the building, no exterior room doors, etc.

Fall train show in Wichita this weekend, but with the monthly cash flow being reduced by roughly 1/3, I can't afford any additional stuff. Besides I still have a ton of building and car kits to keep me busy for a while. I'll make a priority list of stuff I need, and hopefully get some at Christmas and birthday from the kids. Christmas a little leaner this year, but I think we'll be fine.

Safe trip Willie.

Troy:
Get well. I understand your concern about C-19, because you were recently interacting with numerous people. Negative is good. Do you generally get Headaches and Sinus infections (blockage) on a regular or seasonal basis? Or is this unusual? Personally, I would back out of the Lansing gig, you're not going to enjoy it if you feel like crap. You could always use the C-19 excuse...who's going to know? Or for that matter tell him you have a sinus infection...that will be enough to spook 'em. They will automatically assume C-19.

Ken: :(💩:eek:

Good morning all, 46° with a few clouds. We had some rain early this morning,

Stumbled upon the subminiature spy camera last night, saw an image and clicked on it, I have one a MINOX Riga, made in Latvia from 1938 - 1943, I have the case and complete camera. Noticed it may be worth as much as $1600.

Dad brought it home from the Army, he was in Austria also part of the occupation. I somehow saved it and now maybe sell it.

Worked on track a little last eve, a couple places I want to smooth out...

Patrick - wife mowed lawn yesterday, I think we are done for the year

Willie - have a safe trip home!

Ken DJ - sounds like they don't want to cooperate very much. Hope the wind does not blow the odors to your house

Ken IB - Blog? I don't know what that is, however notice all the tech savvy guys on here do

Pic of a couple guys working nights at the mill:

IMG_2721.JPG

Also, night shot at the Wyoming depot:

IMG_2718.JPG

more later, Dave LASM

Good morning from 40f degrees in Ashland, Wi. We had a pleasant meal last evening with friends of the wife and sister who at 75 and 68 are still on the faculty of Northland College in Ashland. Neither of them knew that Terry and my sister knew each other let alone were sister in laws. I guess the last time I visited here was 2013. They were working on the last Ore Dock then, actually dismantling it. I know my first time here the dock was still up but not working in 1976 the summer before the marriage began. Without the structure the water front looks empty. The visit to the diner in Cable was ok. Not the first time we visited a place that appeared on Drive Inns, Diners and Dives that was a disappointment.

Heading to Amnicon Falls to hike and see Wisconsin’s largest waterfalls. The restaurant in South Range, Wi. that appeared on Drive Inns, Diners and Dives is closed permanently so we will skip that and head into Superior, Wi. for lunch and some touring. Lots of marine traffic in the Superior side of the Twin Harbors and of course trains! Operating ore dock, aggregate docks, Grain terminals, Ore yards, I should enjoy this. Terry and I have seen the marine museum and supposedly the girls are ok with chasing the trains and seeing the facilities. Heaven for me.

Since before I got married I have doodled track plans for the Superior side of the Harbors but would have needed literally that gymnasium for trains we all have dreamed about having once or twice. This area fascinates me and again the 1st time I explored up here was the summer of 76. We as a family spent a lot of time in both Superior and Duluth between 1990 and 2003 while both the son and the daughter attended hockey camps and played hockey games here. Terry got her second Masters degree at the UW Superior, so she spent a couple weeks for a bunch of summers here. Good memories.

The ladies are almost ready and I have had my yogurt and granola morning meal.

enjoy the day

Tank work is done. The operator echoed the previous service note about the condition of it. Best tank he's seen all summer. Didn't really need it, but the county requires it every 5 years. Now I have to get the document back to the county office before close of business today.

Getting responses to the open house invite. I just have a few items to tidy up around the empire and then setup the demonstration trains.

Overcast here now. Standing outside I can feel the high humidity building. Clouds are moving very slow.

Good morning peeps!

Back in the office again today with an ulterior motive muuuuha ha ha ha ha....my evil halloween laugh 😈 No really I have to go back to JPs Hobby shop at lunch time soooo yep that's the plan. I hope to get a lot of construction materials from Evergreen and Plastruct products etc. Maybe a few more buildings? Paints and figures or other layout details. Willie's layout inspires me to pay attention to those small details that help make the layout come to life. I will head over there @ 11:45 they open right at 12 pm.

I spent my evening last night going through the loot I obtained from the LHS and the deliveries I received from ebay and FB market place. I am waiting on an order from Yankeedabbler. I bought a bunch of cars they had a burn sale on which is still going on. I got some old Bev-Bel cars for 10 bucks each which I think are great for filler cars. All new in the box old stock. A little weathering and you are god to go! I also got one of those cool gadgets for speed matching your locomotives the Accutrack II model train speedometer. This will help me through JMRI to get my speed matching done correctly and quickly. The other thing ito place a top end speed limit as well. Some of these locomotive really zip! So with a little adjustments I can make it more realistic. I think my order is do to arrive today or tomorrow.

I also got a few Walthers Mainline cars from there. Just 5 cars that I wanted.

Have a few visitors outside my office window this morning. Tis' the season....

Ya'll have a great day! I will of course check back for my next haul from the LHS today...... 🤪😁

1664545629126.jpeg
1664545642333.jpeg
1664545651460.jpeg
1664545659997.jpeg
1664545668507.jpeg

Last edited:
Good morning from 40f degrees in Ashland, Wi. We had a pleasant meal last evening with friends of the wife and sister who at 75 and 68 are still on the faculty of Northland College in Ashland. Neither of them knew that Terry and my sister knew each other let alone were sister in laws. I guess the last time I visited here was 2013. They were working on the last Ore Dock then, actually dismantling it. I know my first time here the dock was still up but not working in 1976 the summer before the marriage began. Without the structure the water front looks empty. The visit to the diner in Cable was ok. Not the first time we visited a place that appeared on Drive Inns, Diners and Dives that was a disappointment.

Heading to Amnicon Falls to hike and see Wisconsin’s largest waterfalls. The restaurant in South Range, Wi. that appeared on Drive Inns, Diners and Dives is closed permanently so we will skip that and head into Superior, Wi. for lunch and some touring. Lots of marine traffic in the Superior side of the Twin Harbors and of course trains! Operating ore dock, aggregate docks, Grain terminals, Ore yards, I should enjoy this. Terry and I have seen the marine museum and supposedly the girls are ok with chasing the trains and seeing the facilities. Heaven for me.

Since before I got married I have doodled track plans for the Superior side of the Harbors but would have needed literally that gymnasium for trains we all have dreamed about having once or twice. This area fascinates me and again the 1st time I explored up here was the summer of 76. We as a family spent a lot of time in both Superior and Duluth between 1990 and 2003 while both the son and the daughter attended hockey camps and played hockey games here. Terry got her second Masters degree at the UW Superior, so she spent a couple weeks for a bunch of summers here. Good memories.

The ladies are almost ready and I have had my yogurt and granola morning meal.

enjoy the day
I spent the winter of 1992-1993 also 2010-2011 in Ashland, second time rented a boat house just east of the Ore dock. In 1992 the dock was still in place, although somewhat decrepit. Second time it was partly dismantled but talk of a walking trail or some type of tourist attraction, wonder if you noticed anything there while travelling on US-2.

ALSO did a lot of sailing out of the Superior harbor in 2017, 2018 as nephew had a sail boat and I was the crew on several jaunts out to Lake Superior. Noted all the docks, are many of those still in use?

I worked for the Bureau of Indian Affairs both times, surveying the timber lands of the Bad River Reservation. Interesting railroad runs through the heart of it, quite the bridge over the Bad River I walked across a couple times accessing lands. The locomotive I met there a couple times goes across it about 5 mph and maybe pulls 2 freight cars.

I spent the winter of 1992-1993 also 2010-2011 in Ashland, second time rented a boat house just east of the Ore dock. In 1992 the dock was still in place, although somewhat decrepit. Second time it was partly dismantled but talk of a walking trail or some type of tourist attraction, wonder if you noticed anything there while travelling on US-2.

ALSO did a lot of sailing out of the Superior harbor in 2017, 2018 as nephew had a sail boat and I was the crew on several jaunts out to Lake Superior. Noted all the docks, are many of those still in use?

I worked for the Bureau of Indian Affairs both times, surveying the timber lands of the Bad River Reservation. Interesting railroad runs through the heart of it, quite the bridge over the Bad River I walked across a couple times accessing lands. The locomotive I met there a couple times goes across it about 5 mph and maybe pulls 2 freight cars.
Dave. They are converting the Ore dock’s concrete base, the 1st 500 of 2000’ to accessible development. They are searching for donations to get out to the 2000’ mark. The 2 we had dinner with last night were vehemently opposed to the development so after the 1st response I kept my mouth shut. Plenty of berthing spaces for pleasure craft, unaware of anything large enough for commercial boats/ships. If there are walking trails along HWy 2 this backseater did not notice them. The area seems much wilder ( less groomed) then I remember before Covid maybe 2018 heading to Duluth back then.

I am looking forward to the upclose experience of the Duluth Ore docks and the 1000’+ lake boats. The Ore dock in Superior (Allouez) is a conveyor from the train yard, over HWY2 to the dock. I remember that conveyor was very loud, I hope it’s still in operation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back