Running Bear's March 2022 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good morning as well from Halifax.
Eggs and bacon with coffee please Flo !
I need the energy to do the driveway again today……I am slowly getting tired of snow, or am I chomping at the bit for Spring ?

We have been googling electric trucks at work lately as well every now and again…..cost and charging time will be interesting to see for sure.

For phones, I generally take advantage of promotions for new last-year's-models. I get a decent discount, as well as favourable terms. The4 last promotion was for 50% off a new iPhone 12. Still expensive, but not as exhorbitantly so, and I still get the manufacturer's 12 month warranty.

I just seen an ad for Chevy's new electric powered truck. It has a 400 mile range before needing a charge. So what happens when I go on my golf vacation to myrtle beach which is 721 miles away? I notice they didn't mention the price in the ad. I paid $26.000.00 for my Nissan Fronter in 2016 which has just about everything. I bet it's more than double the price?
George
Well.... you look for an EV3 or better charger

Map for one service here

EV 2 is a trickle charge, and you get 25 mile per hour of charging. Go for EV 3.

I just seen an ad for Chevy's new electric powered truck. It has a 400 mile range before needing a charge. So what happens when I go on my golf vacation to myrtle beach which is 721 miles away? I notice they didn't mention the price in the ad. I paid $26.000.00 for my Nissan Fronter in 2016 which has just about everything. I bet it's more than double the price?
George
Be fair does your Nissan get their on one tank? The price I suspect will be 50k. We have saved a fortune in fuel on our Tesla, the old BMW had topped 50 pound a tank now much higher and it could stretch 70 miles a gallon on a really good day,but even at house electricity it costs 6 pounds yes just 6 pounds to fill our Tesla 3, and we have a 3phase connector so top up at much faster than the bog standard 7kw per hour, and we have good solar, and even winter time sun has so far covered a good majority of the top ups, but once spring to autumn we get free fill ups and the charger cost us less than a grand. So cough up up front, at our age we want a long life vehicle, and then once we are close to retirement no big bills, plus an electric car does not need expensive services each year, brakes and tyres, no engine parts to wear out,leak etc. Against my BMW that’s a big saving each year.
Now if you want to argue how green they are, the cost to make the materials, the fact that a lot of electricity starts as gas or diesel then becomes electricity at which point is a normal vehicle greener you have an argument.Arguments over sone of the metals and the ethics of mining them,and if people are hurt or short lived because of it, arguments over this are worth looking at if you want a free conscience.But a number of ’normal’ vehickes have ethical doubts also when you look.
Also in the cold snow etc Sweden etc are taking electric cars hand over fist because in the event of a loss of power they can get in the car and it heats them up for a few days,although of course they rely on the system coming back up to re power it!
\pays your money takes your chances, so far, the Tesla has been a big yes from us, and we are considering a bigger one, and the resale at the moment is only a few grand less than we paid 16 months ago, which is bloody amazing! if we get direct from Tesla an X as we are losing hope over a cybertruck anytime soon, plus the regulations to downgrade it here. they guarantee this price, and have the cash, we are almost ready to press the button and accept.

EV 2 is a trickle charge, and you get 25 mile per hour of charging. Go for EV 3.
So I would need to be charging for 12 hours to finish the remaining 321 miles of the trip. Let me know when the charging time is cut down to 15 minutes and I'll consider buying one. That way I can get a cup of coffee, go to the bathroom etc and be on my way. What's the charging fee?
George

Last edited:
OK Gang...

the new book features a Chili-Cheese-Dog cook-off at a Beach BBQ contest. The namesakes for Willie, Sherril, and Smudge all have pits going. Contestants: Post your grilling secrets? What type of meat goes in the chili? TriTip? Pulled Pork? Boring Ground Beef? Any secret spices?

Bystanders: You're the judges... who should win the cookoff? (my judges might choose someone else)

Good Morning All. Clear and 45° in my part of the world. Looking at a repeat of yesterday's weather. Yes we do have spring here in Texas.

Dental visit went great yesterday. In and out with a small cavity repaired in less than 45 minutes. I saw my dentist's new partner yesterday, a pretty young lady who definitely knew what she was doing. Novocaine wore off about two hours later.
Today is the weekly grocery/beer trek, Kroger, Sam's Club and Home Depot for sure. Hobby Lobby if time permits.

I can't add to the phone talk. I think that I have a Samsung Galaxy S-9 or something like that but I don't know how to tell. I don't actually care as I went 67 years intentionally not having one. I use it at most 15 minutes a week plus using it as a portable alarm clock! Otherwise to me it's just a nuisance phone. I don't text, take pictures, play games or watch videos. I did once use it as a flashlight though! I do not carry it with me unless I am alone in the car, sometimes not even then.

Thanks for the comments and likes on my progress; Guy, Karl, Smudge, Gary, Patrick, Justin, Steve J, Sherrel, Hughie, Dave B, Chad, Curt, Louis, Tom, Rick, Tom O, IB Ken, Jaz.

Out in the train shed yesterday, I painted the front wall of the new structure. i am not particularly happy with the light brown that I chose for the cornices. It is too close to the brick color and there isn't enough contrast.
IMG_0485.JPG

IMG_0486.JPG

That's a shadow at the top. I'll look at it some more today.

Sherrel - I am 2" short as well. Oh! You're posting about rainfall.
Hughie - That is going to be a fine addition to the layout.
Steve J - Good Luck!
Jaz - Some of your pictures yesterday reminded me of our late member Garry's layout. I wonder what happened to it?

Everybody have a great day. Stay safe and warm if applicable.

It's 89 degrees somewhere with a chance of rain somewhere else. Ya'all can guess where I'm referring to.
EVs are coming. At some point it will become obvious that EVs are where the government wants us to go. By that time the price and demand will be much higher than they are now, and your internal combustion vehicle will have no trade in value because there will be no fuel. Ohhhh, I'll install solar panels then. Yeah, and wait for 6 months to a year because of the demand because ya waited too long? In the meantime, home heating costs have gone through the roof too.
(In my dumb skeptic voice) Welllll, how is the grid going to support charger stations for all those EVs? I don't know, but when ya can't find a gas station that doesn't have a 1/2-mile line for very expensive fuel, what are ya going to do? vote for someone else?
I guess I could post a dozen or so pictures of where I'll mount my wall charger that nobody really cares about, but I won't.

Morning all,

Back to work and had to hit the ground running. Here 2 hours and it's the first chance I've had to even read the internet. Yes they called me yesterday afternoon, just the nature of my business and job.

Near record high yesterday of 82°, only 75° for today. Still very nice. Had 3 heavy boxes delivered yesterday. Wife decided sine we are paying for the better of the 2 Sam's memberships and it's 22 miles one way to Sam's, they can deliver for free. So we're stocking up on canned goods, especially since I got the big cabinet I got from work setup in the garage. It's a really handy pantry cabinet. We just store canned items since we have had rodents in the garage. We have a couple of prescriptions that the plus membership makes cheap enough to actually save more than the extra cost of the plan. Kind of sounds funny to spent more to save more.

We'll see how the rest of the day goes...

George
Have no clue on the price, but charging stations are appearing at rest stops. Along the PA turnpike, they are only for Teslas, in New York they are for all electric vehicles. Of course,once you get there, you need to find a charging station at your destination.

Have no clue on the price, but charging stations are appearing at rest stops. Along the PA turnpike, they are only for Teslas, in New York they are for all electric vehicles. Of course,once you get there, you need to find a charging station at your destination.
So these charging stations on the PA turnpike how fast do they charge. Are you there for hours charging your auto? That's doesn't work. These electric cars are perfect for my wife. She only drives 400 miles a year.
George

OK Gang...

the new book features a Chili-Cheese-Dog cook-off at a Beach BBQ contest. The namesakes for Willie, Sherril, and Smudge all have pits going. Contestants: Post your grilling secrets? What type of meat goes in the chili? TriTip? Pulled Pork? Boring Ground Beef? Any secret spices?

Bystanders: You're the judges... who should win the cookoff? (my judges might choose someone else)
Great, thanks Troy, the only idiot who (so far) has never made a Chilli, really going to win this 😂 🤣 🤣🤣
Just to be different, I'm going with........... Kudu
(look it up people) 😂😂

So I would need to be charging for 12 hours to finish the remaining 321 miles of the trip. Let me know when the charging time is cut down to 15 minutes and I'll consider buying one. That way I can get a cup of coffee, go to the bathroom etc and be on my way. What's the charging fee?
George

No, you use a fast charger, not the level 1 or level 2 (I think they are called). They are not a trickle charge really but are a low current universal charge. There are much faster chargers out there. It still is not as fast as filling your tank and one of the reasons I think EVs are not ready for prime time in terms of replacing the main vehicle. They are great for commuters and around town vehicles. (My Audi PHEV runs 70% in non-gas mode as most of my driving in it is around town. When we go anywhere we drive the wife's gasser)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back