Running Bear's March 2022 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
1646144573140.png

Here is a pic for Willie. He is always ordering OJ with his meals. This a pic of the Tropicana train leaving Bradenton headed north and crossing the Manatee River.

Good Morning!
Not a bad start to meteorological spring, with light snow and 19F temps. I can live with it!

Got a photo of a Hy-rail vehicle yesterday. Must be the foreman's truck, because it was parked close to the bakery. Looks new to me:
CN Hy-Rail_02-28-2022.jpg

Expect I'll be working on the layout room reno today. That is if the wife leaves me alone and we don't go downtown.

For the road, here's another re-run photo taken last year. It shows the same kind of conditions we are experiencing today:
CN 5665_SD 75I_12-13-2021.jpg

Thanks for the coffee, but, it's time to make a move. Have a good one!

Good afternoon,

I missed breakfast, but will take a coffee please, Flo

We are having average temps, which is considerably warmer than where we have been. Right now 26°. Got another 15# of hydrocal. Anyone have a trick to making so it doesn't harden so fast? I had to make small batches because it was getting too hard to work too fast. Maybe that is how it works? The quick, strong hardening can be a disadvantage and an advantage. I love the stuff because it gets so solid so fast, but also hate that my window for use is very narrow.

Mcleod - nice pics

Willie - the new building is going to dominate. Where is it going?
BTW I use the same glue (gorilla), keep it upside down just like you. Guess I am learning.

Curt - your photo of yesterday looks like you are in the middle of a big project

Here is a shot from the old layout, I think I posted a view of this from a much wider perspective last week. You have to get this close to see the rabbits and dog. Not a very practical detail.

landscape1 004.JPG

the grasses are from paint brush bristles. The fine ones is hair that shed off our cat.

more later, Dave LASM

Model

Attachments

• 1ADAFB8D-E989-4DF8-806F-2C45BB2AB1DE.jpeg
    1ADAFB8D-E989-4DF8-806F-2C45BB2AB1DE.jpeg
    337.4 KB · Views: 90
  • 5DE6BE95-F9EA-4D3D-A07B-A5B145E87C34.jpeg
    5DE6BE95-F9EA-4D3D-A07B-A5B145E87C34.jpeg
    413 KB · Views: 90
  • F6B50FA4-58E3-4AC1-8B52-654814E75DC8.jpeg
    F6B50FA4-58E3-4AC1-8B52-654814E75DC8.jpeg
    309.3 KB · Views: 82
  • CD900750-CDAF-4604-83E6-967EC7FF601F.jpeg
    CD900750-CDAF-4604-83E6-967EC7FF601F.jpeg
    365.4 KB · Views: 85
  • A4352F38-44C1-47D7-9A90-55CFD616971D.jpeg
    A4352F38-44C1-47D7-9A90-55CFD616971D.jpeg
    273 KB · Views: 97
  • 58AB7C93-FA64-46A0-B05B-0C771B876FEB.jpeg
    58AB7C93-FA64-46A0-B05B-0C771B876FEB.jpeg
    440.8 KB · Views: 85
Good Morning Everyone....nice sunny and mild day here in this part of Wisconsin. March 1st, lots of winter could be still coming to us. I've seen 6 inches of snow in the middle of May one year in the 80's. April has had some of largest snowstorms hit us hard. Our daffodils are up about 6 inches and they survive the cold spells every spring.

Riley will not leave our sides thinking that we might leave her again. Right now she's in her crate sleeping while Cathy is out shopping. Cathy and Riley went for a walk this morning and Riley met Fred a dachshund mix who just moved in our neighborhood and they hit it off right away.

The order from Scale Trains is in transit and I'm scheduled to receive it on Thursday! Finally it's coming and I was getting worried about it ever happening. Now just one more locomotive to add to my collection, a Green Bay & Western locomotive.

Now a whole lot to report on today.

See ya later....

Greg

###################

:mad: Not a happy bunny tonight, picked up the new level I ordered from Amazon (arrived a day early too) did a quick check on that pesky curve and turnout that's causing me hassle. Muggins (me) will now be spending the weekend re laying and making lot's of shims to level the track out, it's way, way off, I'm surprised anything ran on that curve at all !!!!!

Good Afternoon. Productive day so far, the plumber came and repaired the water leak and things are drying out. Called him at 5:00pm yesterday and he was here by 9:30 this morning. He had to dig a hole to get access under the house to make the repair and only charged $145 for two hours. Excellent service from this guy always. I'll refill the hole after the mud dries out a bit and isn't as sloppy and heavy.
I killed the time splitting and stacking next years firewood while he worked.
Then I went to vote in the Texas primary at the local community center. Light turnout, no one else there except election workers. I miss the old days when we voted in Lester Marshall's garage. Voters would talk with each other regarding and admiring all of Lester's new power tools, while his wife had a pot of beans and cornbread over in one corner for the election workers.
See ya later. Or as my kids text, CU L8r!

Good afternoon,

I missed breakfast, but will take a coffee please, Flo

We are having average temps, which is considerably warmer than where we have been. Right now 26°. Got another 15# of hydrocal. Anyone have a trick to making so it doesn't harden so fast? I had to make small batches because it was getting too hard to work too fast. Maybe that is how it works? The quick, strong hardening can be a disadvantage and an advantage. I love the stuff because it gets so solid so fast, but also hate that my window for use is very narrow.

Mcleod - nice pics

Willie - the new building is going to dominate. Where is it going?
BTW I use the same glue (gorilla), keep it upside down just like you. Guess I am learning.

Curt - your photo of yesterday looks like you are in the middle of a big project

Here is a shot from the old layout, I think I posted a view of this from a much wider perspective last week. You have to get this close to see the rabbits and dog. Not a very practical detail.

View attachment 141869

the grasses are from paint brush bristles. The fine ones is hair that shed off our cat.

more later, Dave LASM
Dave, I've been using this stuff:

https://www.modeltrainstuff.com/ame...j9mitR0pEUOx4x5pHOvmviW0ENCp8u7hoCkuoQAvD_BwE

...it provides a 30-minute work time.

Afternoon All,

Ran errands with the wife this morning. In the train room I did a grimy wash to the ties and ballast in between the rails. After that I finished the under framing for the road and cut the styrene for it and the associated parking lot. Tomorrow, I need to use the yard blower on the massive number of oak leaves in the front yard (not so much in the sides and none in the back).

Thanks for the photo likes yesterday.

Jaz- Nice looking modeling.

Guy- Nice photos.

TomO- Nice photos.

Louis- Neat train stations.

Troy- Have a safe trip.

Rene- Funny scene.

Willie- Your new kit appears to have a lot of detail.

FSU- Nice photo.

Dave- Thank you. Only about 20-30 projects to go. I'm not quite at the halfway point yet.

layout2.jpg

I hope everyone has a good night.

:mad: Not a happy bunny tonight, picked up the new level I ordered from Amazon (arrived a day early too) did a quick check on that pesky curve and turnout that's causing me hassle. Muggins (me) will now be spending the weekend re laying and making lot's of shims to level the track out, it's way, way off, I'm surprised anything ran on that curve at all !!!!!
Best of British with the repair.

Dave, I've been using this stuff:

https://www.modeltrainstuff.com/ame...j9mitR0pEUOx4x5pHOvmviW0ENCp8u7hoCkuoQAvD_BwE

...it provides a 30-minute work time.

Thanks, Ken. I have used sculptamold and like it. Chet (Montanan) swore by hydrocal, so I thought I would try it. The strength of it is amazing.

I wasted about half of my first sack of 15#. The second bag came yesterday and if it goes too bad, I will be grabbing some sculptamold.

Thanks for the tip

Dave LASM

Rabbit, Rabbit

Welp, Howdy There, internet model railroad people, and the voice of Paddington Bear.

it's Troy again

Got mom delivered. Doc said the liver is operational. She can do a tele-visit next time. So I or one of the sister-units will have to visit with cell phone/camera set up. But, it beats spending 10 hours in the car to get her there and back, then me back home.

I kept smooth jazz playing on the drives with Mom. Once I dropped her off, I switched over to an audiobook.

For our Brits, I'm listening to Anita Hill's memoir. The first four chapters are eye-opening on British society and how classism is/was prevalent in education. Our American system does have its downsides, and classism, but I found the British levels she describes as beyond what I'd seen here. True, I don't hang out with many Ivy Leaguers, but I've encountered a handful. I find our system is more about the degree first, and the school second.

It will be interesting to get deeper into the book when she moves into the more recent experiences (she's an expert in one of those countries we can't talk about in the coffee shop).

No hobby time today... Me and the cat are in the LayZboy, heater on, chillaxing with wine. Well, I have the wine. Cat is happy I turned the space heater on.

Time to catch up on the happenings. Forum first, then on to Twitter and news sites.

Well I reckon I can post something before bed. Worked on my GP7 tonight. Found it was the front truck that was causing my issues. Apparently one of the axle bushings was bound up on the pick up strip. I found it quite odd as the gap is the same on each side and in spec according to my NMRA gauge. So I threw on a replacement truck. Helped out quite a bit. Still need some fine tuning but it's pretty much better now. I did attempt to repair the old truck with no luck. Didn't have time for anything else today. That's all I have for now. I'll stop by again when I get a chance.
IMG_20220203_195109391_HDR.jpg

Good morning gang.

35° and sunny, supposed to hit 60 today.

Rough night last night. Bud threw up several times last night, and his breathing was labored and heavy. Gave him his anti nausea meds and wifey sat up with him for a few hours . He had to sit up, when he laid down it was harder for him to breath. Finally early early this morning he was able to lay down and sleep and wifey came to bed. My sleep was fitful partly because she wasn't there and worry about Bud. He's just a few days short of his 4th birthday but we are looking at what appears to be a 20 year old dog at times. I don't know what has aged him more, the disease or the medicines he's on. This morning he got up and ate, and was sleeping on the couch when I left for work.

Furbabies, hug em if ya got em.

BBL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back