Running Bear's February 2022 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Question

Does anyone here use a Vortex machine to mix your paints? Know or have seen one in use?

I have been contemplating since Thanksgiving but seriously thinking about it now. Almost pulled the trigger last night.

TomO

360554AA-3E80-476A-83B7-BDCE51DADCFA.png

Question

Does anyone here use a Vortex machine to mix your paints? Know or have seen one in use?

I have been contemplating since Thanksgiving but seriously thinking about it now. Almost pulled the trigger last night.

TomO
I use this one. Does the trick with my Vallejo dropper bottles (and some larger ones, but it's not geared for spray can sized stuff)

add stainless steel ball to the paint, and give it about 30 secs on the mixer.

It is a bit finicky finding the correct spot to press the bottle to for max effect

Good evening, my first visit to the coffee shop.

After surviving the 25th storm this year, last Friday was really bad with average winds of 100m/ph with gust of over 160 m/ph in the highlands just an hour from our place. All roads closed and 2 inch ice on the roads, luckily my truck has studded tyres.
I set up my two modules last week and today did a test run of my Southern Pacific rolling stock.
As expected all the Kato's ran flawlessly as did most of the newer Athearn.
My biggest surprise, as most engines were stored for about 10 years, were the pre Walthers Proto 2000 SD9's.
I tested them like two years ago and they ran like crap. However after cleaning the wheels and track they all ran like new! Even an unfinished new in the box unit ran ok.
That said...I'll probably never run a six unit set of SD9 with the mandatory string of box cars here...but I love these engines!
I even never changed the gears (notoriously cracked ones on the old P2000 units) and all 4 of them (one dummy) ran in sync.
Now I only have 6 ft of mainline to run for now, starting to think about a lay out plan and perhaps adding one more 3ft module to at least switch some cars here and there.

Eigið góða nótt allir!

Rene
Those SD9's look great Rene. I like those sugar beet loads too. There were a couple of those old SP SD9's here for a while, ( A little bit before I hired out into train service here), they were assigned to a telecom train that buried fiber optic cable between Salt Lake City and Denver. There was a couple big Hitachi backhoes chained to flat cars, they also chained the boom attachments to the cars, burying those big cables 3-4 feet deep along the ROW, never got past 2 throttle, a few material flat cars and caboose, you cant imagine what kind of pulling power those old things had. It was quite a process, a whole different deal when you hit granite, or in tunnels. Every few weeks they would pour a 55 gallon drum of engine oil in them. Some great stories.

I use this one. Does the trick with my Vallejo dropper bottles (and some larger ones, but it's not geared for spray can sized stuff)

add stainless steel ball to the paint, and give it about 30 secs on the mixer.

It is a bit finicky finding the correct spot to press the bottle to for max effect
Thanks I looked at this. The reviews say the same thing, sometimes finicky. That is why I like the continous ripun feature on the one I showed.

TomO

Good evening Shop Dwellers!

Iron Horseman - at last, I finally got to see the legendary gymnasium! I remember reading on the Kalmbach forum in the mid-2000's when you said you were planning to buy the place. Too bad you never got to realize your dream of filling it with a layout, but now at least you don't have to dismantle anything.

Rene - glad you made it over here. Wow, with weather like that, it's no wonder the country is named ICEland!

Hello again!

Quite often, I've mentioned that I take a-lot of photos for historical purposes, rather than trying to make photographic art.
As it happens, I've taken a few photos of this old store located in Blue Ridge, a hamlet 20 minutes from my house:
View attachment 141660
I'm glad I have those photos, because the old store has gone up in smoke. It's gone, after about a century of operation. That store has seen steam engines loading passengers at the depot that used to be beside it. The only way to know that today, is if there are photos.
It burned down this weekend, with the owners who were living in it, just making it out with their lives and not much else.

Photos are important!
Have a good one!

Guy - definitely a tragedy to lose an iconic building like that! Glad you shot the photos when you did.

Willie - I enjoyed seeing the under-construction pics of your train shed.

Steve - I was going to post a photo of my own trainroom and claim it was messier than yours, but then Jaz "out-messed" me by a mile! But I'll share it anyway:
TrainroomMegaMess.jpg

...and that pretty much shows, in a nutshell, why I haven't shared any photos over the past week. Structures in pieces, tools, materials and debris everywhere. It's tough to keep a layout surface neat and organized when working with Sculpti-mold.

While waiting for the Sculpi-mold to cure, I figured I would go ahead and try to run the wires for the dumper drive motors. I tried testing a light dimmer switch that I got from Home Depot yesterday, but that was a fail - no response from the motors at even the wide-open setting. This was just an experimental thing anyway, I figured there might be problems trying to use a device intended for 115VAC for a 12VDC application. Hopefully the rheostat I ordered from Amazon will do what I need; failing that, I'll just build a small platform on the benchwork to hold the old MRC power pack in an easy-to-reach location and simply make it the permanent method of control.

Good Night - and have a Pleasant Tomorrow!

Gonna have to go back many years to find such universal support and sympathy for the attacked, and such searing condemnation towards the attackers.
They can sanction more,but they are having to be careful to not damage the easts food supply,Russias wheat and sunflower oil for instance is a main supply in a lot of places.
Belarus is doing itself no favours either.
Finland must be scared witless they are not NATO. Finland has no love for the Russians,and part of their last deal was they kept their railways sized to allow Russian trains in.
Talking of which does anyone model Russian or Finland or other nearby railways, just for interest.

The Ukraines believe that he sent in his best special forces,and they have killed a number, some of the Russian troops are not happy about killing their cousins, and there is much family connections.
I would be wary as the Ukraine leader of meeting with ‘Putin’ on the Belarus border smacks of a capture or assassination, i think at this stage Putin has shown too many lies to be trusted.
With the rouble being hammered, maybe more citizens will stand up and protest,although I admit you have to be brave to do that in that country, I also believe that we should nott under any circumstances pick on any Russians in our countries,they Are not responsible for Putins actions. Unless legally shown otherwise.
I see some Ukrainians working on an expensive Russian yacht have tried sinking it, can’t but sympathise,although technically well actually an illegal action, but hey ho,better to let the governments take responsibility for choosing who is in bed with Putin.There are plenty of Russians who left Russia because they opposed Putin, so picking on them is just plain stupid.
I see one is supporting him on the internet a TV star,she is getting a hammering online.
Prayers for the Ukranians though they just want a quiet life poor buggers.
Which any money confiscated could go to Ukraine for defence and rebuild (hopefully) but after previous money has in court been handed back to individuals doubt that will happen, mores the pity.

Steve and Jaz- It's only a mess if you can't find what you're looking for.
Gulps,
missing in action…small detail drains for roads, a few figures and some detailing I was going to take with me to a small show, in general I get far more annoyed about the little things I misplace even though I can buy more, and on occasion have.
To be fair we have very little gets damaged, cross fingers, touch wood, because that would upset me. items are packed well, the investment in really useful boxes had us looking a seconds, where colour had mixed the boxes were sound and just had faint streaks,unfortunately after buying a few dozen they stopped selling any more, the foam was self cut saving a lot as well.

Attachments

• C0AC6C20-7313-4D24-85C2-8EDFCD51B1CD.jpeg
    C0AC6C20-7313-4D24-85C2-8EDFCD51B1CD.jpeg
    463.3 KB · Views: 97
  • 244154DF-63A3-46FA-BC1F-51088E85646D.jpeg
    244154DF-63A3-46FA-BC1F-51088E85646D.jpeg
    493.5 KB · Views: 83
  • A6638479-D73D-4052-AB33-8F0D44E781E5.jpeg
    A6638479-D73D-4052-AB33-8F0D44E781E5.jpeg
    447.3 KB · Views: 81
  • C733A9FB-459B-4104-BB18-A3B40AE51491.jpeg
    C733A9FB-459B-4104-BB18-A3B40AE51491.jpeg
    483.3 KB · Views: 84
Just been watching the news this morning before I head off back to work after having a well deserved break. Seems this Ukraine invasion is not going down well with the Russian people either, arresting people opposed to it, saw a women, must have been in her 60's being arrested by police.
1700 arrested early on,many Russians stayed after the 2014 conflict,and are either part of the breakaway movement, or have close family ties to Russians.
Russia did have one genuine grouch back in the day when the USSR broke up it was agreed verbally that NATO would not take Eastern European countries into NATO and when they did and Russia complained, NATO said - should have gotten it in writing. But Russia has a belief if you verbally make a pact you stand by it although Putins lies under minded that - I bet he justified it with you lied first,
Not that I sympathise with Putin I think at 70 he’s reached a stage where he plans to go out with a bang, which is pretty scary, he has spoken before about taking back USSR countries and he wants a lot of sea access, and he has for years shrouded his family from public view, so I personally think this was always coming, which if true means nuclear could be on the table,and that would be a whole new ball game.
The results don’t bear thinking about, and both sides have yet to attack social and business internet,and as Russia gets more and more hammered is also on the cards.
I am considering, not altogether jokingly either,about building a bloody bunker in case he nukes London and the wind pushes pulls the fallout out way. now where are the plans for an American style root cellar!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back