Running Bear's February 2022 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Guys and gals. This coming from me seems very hypocritical as I tend to push politics when they get discussed here.

The Ukraine while they have my best hopes for them, does not belong in the diner.

I will be in the Weathering forum. Sorry if this offends folks but I get enough of Ukraine on TV and the anxiety issues I never had before 11/30/2021 because of “Covid fatigue” has reared its ugly head again. I just can’t handle it. Until the “u” prevails…

still love you all
TomO

My last post regarding this issue.
274756893_10224247794255338_207401838630174392_n.jpg

Mmm, don't think the majority do, more case of "you'll believe what we tell you", as everything is state owned they have no other reference point. But the Russians know there being lied to, they are not idiots, but there is little they can do, if they protest, their arrested at best, at worst ??????
Good point Smudge. Life is Russia is much different then I'm accustomed to.

I suppose I'm tilted a bit by the number of Americans who choose to believe lies over verifiable facts.

Yikes, thats some storm!
Yes, storms are really crazy here, we had in February more storms than in the whole year of 2021. And they are getting heavier all the time. But people here adapt to it and just stay home. Everything is built here to withstand storms and eartquakes (like 20.000 last year, just 10 to 15 miles from our home) , so not much damage done. I'm still in the getting used phase :) Another funny thing: lighting almost never happens due to cold gulfstream north and warm gulfstream in the south. When they appear, like maybe once a year, they make the news headlines.

Good Morning Everyone...partly sunny and not too cold this morning. Hope winter is almost over. Checked the cabin last weekend and the snow in the woods is a healthy six inches deep.

Over the weekend we went to a party at a popular Bar and Grill that is closed during the winter, but opened for the party. Live band and food with an open bar!!! 75 or more people showed up and we knew many of the guests of party's host. We had resevations a a local motel that we stayed in before and locally owned and not too fancy, but clean and worth the price. It changed hands and unknown to us the place now has most of the rooms rented by the month. Our room was a dump with burned out lights, broken fixtures, dirty carpet and just a bad experience!!! I slept in the broken down rocker that was in the room.

Picked up Riley from the Doggy Motel this morning. She was so tired and glad to be home and she asked to be let into her crate and is now sound asleep. Sad part of the entire weekend is Riley's Doggy Motel was cleaner than our motel, but her room cost more than our ours.

TomO: That Vortex would be interesting for mixing paint. I like many, do not mix the paint enough before using. One trick I do use for newer paint is to carry the bottle(s) around in my pocket for a day or so. It really gets the paint mixed up as long as its newer paint. I agree with you that topics about the Ukraine situation do not belong in a model railroad Forum. We need to keep the subject matter in this Forum on the light side and the daily current events left to the network news and talk shows to report on. I respect everyone's opinion on the Forum and wish everyone well.

Thinking of Tom's layout and his mill when I drive past a pallet manufacture on the way to the cabin and there's huge piles of sawdust in their yard.

Read the Forum this morning, I suddenly remembered that I have a brand new, never ran the KATO DM&IR locomotive still in its box. If I remember correctly it's SD 38-2 DC, ready for DCC conversion. I planned on doing sound as well as straight DCC. I have another KATO DM&IR locomotive that I run on the layout. I purchased the DM&IR locomotives when I still wanted to keep the layout totally ore mining related. The two DM&IR locomotives will someday pull my unit ore train(s). The loco was manufactured for the installation of sound with a place for the speaker molded into the chassis.

Sometime ago, every-time I visited my LHS I saw a custom painted BB caboose in the DM&IR theme hidden in a display case. Who ever did the painting and decal work did a great job. It came with Kadee couplers and metal wheels all for the sum of $15.00. The owner of the store didn't know who did this work, so I am unable to locate this fine craftsman. I'll post some photos of the caboose in the future.

That gondola load would be open game for the mice our basement. I'll give a load one week to disappear if it was on the CM&N Railroad!!!

I've been thinking about using real sand and gravel for some gon loads. The mix would be cemented to the tops of plastic gon loads and make for a heavy load. Funny, I get my sand and gravel mix from the driveway where I store Cathy's convertible. I used it on the layout at Rocky Junction where the mainline splits.

That's all for now......

Greg

######################

IMG_0373.JPG
This scene has gone undergone several changes and improvements over the life of the layout, adding mostly more vegetation and trees. I enjoy watching Stephen Bennett's videos and wondered what makes his layout stand-out from others. I finally figured it out that it was the lack of the normal use of Woodland's ground foam and he used scenic materials from different sources. (Nothing wrong with Woodland Scenics material.) One source Bennett used was Model Scenes from the Czech Republic so I ordered some materials from Model Scenes for foreground use where it will be usually seen by visitors. ModelScenes.com.

The road in the photo dead-ends like all the roads on my layout. A second crossing signal has been added to the other side of the road. The road may go from being aspalt to a gravel road. A Woodland's structure was added to the left of the billboard sign.-Greg

IMG_0244.JPG

This is the mainline tunnel entrance that runs under the Saxeville Interchange on the C&MN. Lots of Woodland Scenics!!!-Greg

Last edited:
I think (based on stuff I read) that Putin is testing his relationship with China by putting his nuclear weapons on alert. He just wants Pooh bear to know who he is supposed to deal with. You see, China inked an agreement with Ukraine to provide them with a nuclear umbrella back about 10 years ago...
Was that the Sunday Washington times you read that in?

He may think "the west has not backed up the Budapest memorandum, why would China protect Ukraine?"

Sadly, self-interest is the the popular stance theses days.

The next few posts will be random pictures I took in Japan of trains or train related (container yards) that we rode, saw, or other wise could get pics of. They are the last few trips to Japan (2017 and 2019 I believe). The last one is the Hello Kitty Shinkansen. This is/was a JR 500 Shinkansen that was re-liveried into a Hello Kitty theme (and the first 2 or 3 cars re-decorated heavily inside) and run as a Kodama once a day from Osaka to Hakata (Fukuoka) and back. Kodama are the "slowest" of the Shinkansen trains in that they stop at a lot more stations than the faster ones. The JR 500 was once the fastest Shinkansen but had troubles in curves where it had to slow way down so was quickly demoted to slower services and is mostly withdrawn except for special trains like the Hello Kitty (and maybe a couple more).

Though with different names, most of the JR companies that run Shinkansen services all run the "slow" Kodama-style services. The Shinkansen network of track is standard gauge and dedicated to only Shinkansen services. (Most non-Shinkansen JR trains and many private trains are cape gauge). So they built new stations (usually appendages to existing stations) along the Shinkansen network. Only the bigger cities are stopped in by the fastest express services. (All Shinkansen are "Express" trains and get up to speed when they can, but the fastest services are called "Super Express"). So if you live outside of these bigger cities, you take your local train to the nearest Shinkansen station and take the "slower" Kodama Shinkansen to the first bigger city that has the faster Hikari/Nozomi and transfer there to the faster Shinkansen for your trip to Tokyo or Osaka or where ever you are going (or equivalent services -- each JR company has different names for the service levels). As an example, the fastest Osaka -- Tokyo is currently about 3 hours plus or minus a little IIRC. Kodama Shinkansen service for the same route is more like 6 hours. Because you are stopping 3 or more times more than you are and probably waiting longer at each station and have more trouble getting up to speed since you have to stop again soon.

The maroon trains are Hankyu trains, a private rail company in the Osaka area (and incidentally one of the few non-Shinkansen lines that run standard gauge). The others are all JR trains I think

Attachments

• IMG_1258.jpeg
    IMG_1258.jpeg
    98.2 KB · Views: 101
  • IMG_2112.jpeg
    IMG_2112.jpeg
    92.4 KB · Views: 117
  • IMG_1332.jpeg
    IMG_1332.jpeg
    99.3 KB · Views: 103
  • IMG_1668.jpeg
    IMG_1668.jpeg