Running Bear's March 2021 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
’chessie’ why another MRC? One per track ?
I dont really need another throttle. Essentially I can run my layout with one throttle and one locomotive. However wheres the fun in that? So to mix it up I have two throttles. I have the layout set up so I can run one on the main while another works the loadout. The main I can run with a stand alone throttle. I could work the load out as well the same way but it's an exercise. It helps to have the momentum feature on my Tech 4. It gives me enough time to run to the other side of the layout. So to answer your question. Yes one per track. Makes things interesting in the end.

Building a bunch of Fast Tracks Bull Frog Turnout controllers and having a blast! Making something is so much more fun then destroying something. Other than still needing to remove plywood sections from the basement of the old layout, it's deconstruction is complete!

Flo, pancakes with sausage and bacon and coffee, again!

Last edited:
NO SNAKES though.
I totally agree. Indiana used to be rattler free thanks to hunters clearing them out. Some brilliant govt employee decided to reintroduce them. Now I won't camp at half our state parks because of all the "beware of rattler" signs out. (and a snake phobia that involves much screaming and much running)

Greetings shop dwellers. Coffee and pile o bacon before the west coast crew shows up.

Didn't do much yesterday. Good intentions on finishing up my WWII Soviet soldiers in the evening. But the vaccine on Thursday made me a very sleepy modeler. I turned the telly on in the evening, slept through three hours of Mythbusters. Turned telly off, went to bed and slept another 7 hours with only one midnight piddle trip.

I'm planning on two full days down with the man-flu as my body adjusts when I get the second dose. It's the one that's supposed to really have kick. I had the same experience with the Shingles vaccine 2nd dose. First was meh... sleepy. Second was fever, chills, two days of blah nastiness.

Got some gaming planned for later today. Hanging out online with some buddies from SoCal. We'll be storming the castle via online maps and video chats.

Oh I am so jealous I had not even though of getting goats! loads of thought there and I love the critters, especially those pesky rats,okay I need to step up my game.....but I have some stuff and even a US H0 chicken house,and a homemade ark easy to do you’ll love this
B6BCBDAC-B380-4971-895B-A32F49889157.jpeg

i bought the first bits but on reflection easy to make,
11600865-2E12-4FFC-889D-8530C0EE2D38.jpeg

balsa wood and Colton wood dye
D0FBB716-EE28-433D-8107-AE4CC13BBEC3.jpeg

2 singles or one double
3A5F464D-575D-4A14-B38F-DAEF655CA89A.jpeg

automotive repair kit, cut wire to size bend
46A5BDB9-D20C-424B-BEE7-54EA50CD43BC.jpeg

squeeze in one end then other wire may need clipping so the wood top touches
DB04668B-9358-41E1-88C4-847964E55E5A.jpeg

a bought pigeon loft...do people race them in the US? is is old fashioned but still occurs here but not in great numbers
chickens of course no goat....still jealous lol
9EDDC3F7-F83C-4103-BD4F-781A0950240A.jpeg

i painted with enamels but on reflection it needs a do over with Matt acrylics
metal kit all detailing in the mould
92EE292D-A2AC-4127-969D-2141DACB3753.jpeg

Well, I just got down to my train room to check track to track distance and 22/20 definitely will not work with my eBay purchase this week!
I am glad I reconsidered my original plan as I wanted these cars on my layout.

Big G I was talking to one of my old railroad friends about track clearances and he said there was a portion of track on the New Heaven where 2 trains can not pass simultaneously.
George

I'm working my way around the perimeter of my layout section by section laying track according to my brown paper templates, and then soldering in the feeder wires. This turntable/roundhouse area was pretty track intensive,..

image%28134%29.png

Moving on to the steel mill scene for the next few days,..

image%2867%29.png

image-20201206072905-1.jpeg

Good morning gang
Its clear and 40°.
Waiting for one of my sons to come over, he wants to learn how to solder. He's a gamer and wants to attempt to fix a few controllers......just like the old man, he's cheap!! Take joystick "A", install in controller "B" and so on.
If it warms a little bit more, I may get the 1st coat on the 2-8-0.

Good Morning Everyone....sunny and the promise of one more nice day until a mix of rain and snow. Guess the Daff's don't know the weather forecast nor the date on the calendar since they are up almost 12 inches now and have buds showing. Most of the local small ponds are free of ice and the lakes' ice turning black and ready to melt.

The new puppy is taking more time and energy than I expected, but Riley is a good dog and starting to know the robes of living with us and our routines even at the age of 15 weeks. Riley knows the sit, come, shake paw and wait commands. Monday morning she goes a Pet Spa for a four hour session of socializing with dogs her size and other people. Cathy needs a break to do some housework that can't be done with Riley under foot.

Friends came over yesterday to met Riley and she was left loose on the driveway and when wild running around. It was her first taste of being outside off leash. She listened to commands, but still too young a puppy to trust off leash.

Even wonder why dogs don't listen to the command ..."Come". Here's a good example, you take your dog to the dog park for a couple of hours of fun playing with other dogs off leash and then you call her, put her on a lease, put her in your car and take her home. No wonder she doesn't like to answer to "Come".

Some great modeling displayed in recent photos in the Forum. Beiland's steel mill is an example of good modeling. Then there's Willie's critters!!! Espeefan your structure looks like it could of came off the Manchester & South Franklin. Hobo, good looking Pallet and Keg Company.

TLOC...your work bench sure didn't need any organizing, it looked great before this photo. Jaz those old drums are exactly what I'm looking for to laid along the Right-of-Way to add interest.

Seeing these wooded models and structures in the Forum, reminds me that I have a Bar Mills kit to build, but no spot on the layout for the kit, even as small as it is. I may build it anyway and use it on the expansion layout if that ever happens!

That's about all for now.

Greg

################

IMG_0467.JPG

A former Western Maryland hopper that's patched for the CM&N Railroad. I plan on weathering this car and five others using the methods demonstrated by Mike Confalone on the TrainMasters series. Mike uses primarily Pan Pastels for his weathering. I brought the set of the six WM hoppers at Walthers in open boxes for $8.00 each. I added the coal loads using cast loads and then adding loose coal on the casting for more realism.

IMG_0468 (1).JPG

This hopper will be weathered with Pan Pastels as well. I need to add new reporting marks and a coal load.

Morning all! First Covid shot yesterday. Sore arm, but no other issues.

On my kit build thread over on the Sierra West forum someone noticed what I noticed about the last set of pics. That ugly gap between the welding shop wall and the loading dock floor. I was mulling over what to do with it when he had a good suggestion. Apply alcohol to the glue joint from the inside, let it soak in for 10 minutes or so to soften the glue, then pop off the front wall and square everything up. One good reason for doing this: that gap was ugly! I could have masked it with detail castings, but there was a second really good reason to do it: The roof wouldn't have fit properly causing many headaches down the road. It's all fixed up now, and the repair only took a half an hour or so.

Off to my LHS to see of my Athearn SP passenger coaches have arrived!

Welding Shop Repair.JPG

Good morning from I can’t figure out my internet So. Central Wisconsin. It should hit 58f degrees on this good looking outside day. The internet that I pay for 1000mb speeds is running at around 200 and constantly dropping. I had the tech out earlier this week and he says it is the provider throttling down the speeds. Suggested I threaten TDS with going to another provider.

Not much going on, I am thinking another round of retail shopping, just because. Too much to do in the train room but interest seems to be waning again. I will finish reorganizing the workbench though.

Flo, please a diet Dr Pepper, an English muffin crisp but not burnt, hash browns and a carmelized slab of decent ham, thank you.

Have a great day
TomO

Good Morning All. Cloudy and 65°, the predicted rain is still blasting Patrick 300 miles away in Kansas and never made it here yesterday. I am getting tired of these clouds though, I need sunshine! The garden could use some rain. I thought that the sun would come out later yesterday when I was cutting up one of the trees that I felled last week, but no.
Grocery/beer trek yesterday went well, I am fortified for another week at least. If it wasn't for fresh veggies, I could actually go 3-4 weeks between visits. After that I hassled over the phone with Walgreen's Pharmacy and my doctor's office for a half hour. Seems that Medicare no longer covers the type of glucose test strips that my doctor prescribes and I had to have his nurse change the prescription to reflect the brand that they now cover; ones that will still fit into my test kit. I am cheap also, the old ones cost me nothing while I could buy that brand out of pocket for $17. I say that they cost me nothing, but due to a quirk in the system I actually had to pay $0.28 to get them, and then the pharmacy would send me a check for that $0.28 about three weeks later!
Our bank balance this morning shows the receipt of our $2800 stimulus money last night although it will be another couple of days before it's available. Once again, the government is giving me money that I don't need and putting the country further in debt. I have heard news commentators mention that someone (or many) are just paying for votes already cast!

Let me have a meatloaf sandwich this morning Francine. Diet root beer to go with that.

Thanks for the likes and comments regarding the critters yesterday; Justin, Karl, Gary, Alan, Tom O, Patrick, Chad, Hughie, Tom, Ken, Joe, Jaz. I forgot that some of you do not like snakes. My wife is in that camp.

I was able to get some more ballasting done yesterday out in the train shed. Rough estimate is that I have completed 36' out of 45'. But I have only done 3 of the 15 switches. It takes me much longer to do them so that they still operate when I am finished.
A couple of days ago, I posted that i had intended to show some details on some of the structures that I removed from the layout when I started painting the track.
Here is a kit from Downtown Deco called Addam's Ave Part I. These kits consist of four Hydrocal walls, some window, doors and signs. Paiinting is up to the individual modeler.
03-12-21 107.001.JPG

View from the rear. Still lots of wall detailing. A lot of concrete patching has been done here.
03-12-21 108.001.JPG

Here is a side view of the liquor store side.
03-12-21 109.JPG

And finally a view of the Pawn Shop side wall.
03-12-21 110.JPG

You can see an effect that I was trying out that I call "ghost sign". The remains of an older sign painted on the wall that has been painted over. While I have this one off the layout, I am going to "freshen it up" with some weathering powder, even on the back which normally won't be seen.

Alan -
Nice critters Willie, but also, nice junk! This kind of stuff really "makes" a scene, and you can go on doing it as long as you want.
I am circling back into many areas to add additional details to all scenes. It is taking time as I also still have those large blank areas that I am currently working on, as well as hundreds of freight cars to weather and figures to paint. If someone sent me a box of 300 trees, I could use them all up in a weekend! I usually make about a dozen at a time and use 8-10 in the scene that I am working on, and add the rest to random places on the layout. Even in the generally lightly-treed locale that I model, there seems to be hundreds along the railroad ROW border and in farm fence rows.
O'Neils is really turning out nicely. Feel free to box it up when completed; I'll send my address. The acetylene hoses and fire extinguisher are great details.
Tom O - Thank you for once again mentioning miniprints.ca, I had it bookmarked in the defunct computer. You posted their name once before. I love much of his stuff and I was planning an order. I especially want his coyotes and cow skulls as they are common around here.
My kids like to text rather than talk as well! I worked with similar-minded people. I distinctly remember one texting conversation of over 40 minutes that could have been resolved with a less that five minute phone conversation. I always thought that was what phones were actually for!
Your work area is already more organized than mine!
Justin - For about a week now, I have been thinking about why the Varipulse caused excess noise, without being able to come up with a reason. I have to assume that you have been back in touch with the manufacturer for some feedback. Does it have anything to do with pulse technogology which I don't understand to begin with???
Jaz - Those barrels are certainly more aged than the one that I posted yesterday. Nice work.
03-12-21 119.002.JPG

There is still a small clique of pigeon racers here in Texas, but with things so spread out, one hardly notices them. I have a pigeon coop in one scene, not as detailed as yours.
Hughie - I really like your scenes. They look great. I myself would have trouble modeling in N scale. You're doing well.

Today is National K9 Veterans Day, those unsung heroes of law enforcement. Don't try to hug one though.
Everybody have a great day. Good to read that many more of us are getting the vaccine.
Late post once again due to the failure of the "Post Reply" button on the forum, or is it me?

Happy Saturday, Shop Dwellers! It's 49*F and sunny with a 6mph Westerly breeze where I live.

Belated "thanks" to everyone to liked or commented on my Thursday post.

BaltoSunAbsurdHeadline.jpg

LaughingEmoticon.gif

. . . that will only make it more difficult for people like myself, who've been "eligible" for the scarce vaccine since early January, to actually get vaccinated. With one exception, everybody I know in my age range [who is NOT a medical professional or a teacher] has not yet been able to get an appointment for vaccine. My primary care doc's practice sent an email yesterday saying they do NOT have any vaccine, they are not sure when they'll get it, and . . . "Please do NOT call us trying to schedule a vaccination appointment - we will let you know when it becomes available."

In other news, since my new generator will not be getting delivered until next Thursday, I've got a few hours of interruption=free time available this afternoon to setup the airbrush and apply the coat of "fade" weathering on my project F7 shell. Hopefully I won't screw it up...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back