Slugs & Bugs (B-units)

Alcomotive, I have yet, still, to even get it masked and ready for the paint booth, I have primed it but still am waiting fo my friend to help me paint it, look at this weeks WPF and You'll see what I'm doing in the mean time.

Hey BNSF dude any luck on your progress?

Anyone else had any additions to their fleet in B units or slugs?

Josh how about you?

B Unit

I guess this applies . Here's a Proto 1000 F3B Unit recently added to the Model City & Buffalo Railroad !!!:)
100_0141.png

Here's the two newest additions...

SD9B
sd9b.JPG

BB23-7 (This engine was susposed to be one of those BN B-Units, but I got so frusturated at the replacement sides, that I got the idea for a switcher. This would be compared to the BN SW10B that I have, as it gives the engineer, brakeman, etc, a place to stand while switching...)
bb23-7.JPG

Phil

Phil,

That' BB23-7 is gonna ride really rough without the weight the rest of the hood would put over that front truck. I don't think the guy standing on the platform is going to enjoy the ride!

Phil that is fantastic! Really cool! Thanks for sharing your work. I like both units! Very cool!

Another project that happened by accident was making the Minnesota Commercial's slugs 1-B and T-2.

The 1-B is a ex-LS&I RS-3(?) that was converted to a slug by the MNNR. It's a easy modification, as you just have to paint the windows over on the shell, and decal it.

The T-2 is a High Hood B23-7, and strangly enough, both of mine here are detailed them exactally like the MNNR's T-2. So, one will get a coat of MNNR paint, and the other will get the standard "desert" paint scheme.

Phil

I just bought 2 GP60 B units on ebay bout 2 weeks ago from a guy in the UK n he says they are fairly common on there. I have never seen them before so I paid a premium dollar to get them. THey are Athearn, one is in BNSF colors n the other is Santa Fe warbonnet colors and it came with a matching GP60M. I got the 3 for $240 incl. shipping but I think it was worth it since I have never seen them before.

Hehe, still nothing! I have both my SW7A and B awaiting paint and gathering dust on my friend Curt's layout. Curt's brother has the paint shop but as before, I have had no contact with him as he as been busy helping the local township with gravel road repair.

i was just searching ebay for anything in b unit/slugs and nothing. Well not nothing in b units, but only the old school b units for e/f units.

I have a few "calves" I am watching on e-bay...hope to get at least 2 for my fleet...

Still in the hunt for an E-8 B unit....

I just bought a C&NW F7B Slug off of eBay. These were old F7Bs that had their top appliances removed, windows pluges, and fuel tanks removed. Photos to come when it arrives...

Phil

Nice work on those B-units everyone. I've got a couple B-units in my active fleet and have plans to add a couple more.

CP 1104 is a control cab built from CP C424 4226. It was been sold for scrap in 2004. It used to pull the CP Expressway train through Windsor. The expressway train was so light that it didn't need two engines but the only way to turn one engine in Detroit for the return trip was another railroads turn table. CP built the control cabs so they didn't have to turn the engine for the return trip, the crew just switched cabs. 1104 was usually mated with SD40-2 5592 which I also modeled.

CP 5479 is a true B-unit. It has an engine and traction motors, most of the cab was stripped out and the windows covered over. The high nose gives this units Southern heritage away, originally SOU 3248 then NS 3248. It was sold to GATX leasing which sold it to CP. It served on CP in NS black for a while, but was painted into the CP Rail dual flags. 5479 was sold in 2003 to NRE.

I'm planning to do some GP60B's for my rail road and I may paint a high hood GP40X as a B-unit as well.

I have a few "calves" I am watching on e-bay...hope to get at least 2 for my fleet...

Still in the hunt for an E-8 B unit....
You're not alone, if you find more then one, let me know. I'll take a dummy, but I'd prefer a P2K not a Rivarossi, or AHM (or whoever).

Nice work on those B-units everyone. I've got a couple B-units in my active fleet and have plans to add a couple more.

CP 1104 is a control cab built from CP C424 4226. It was been sold for scrap in 2004. It used to pull the CP Expressway train through Windsor. The expressway train was so light that it didn't need two engines but the only way to turn one engine in Detroit for the return trip was another railroads turn table. CP built the control cabs so they didn't have to turn the engine for the return trip, the crew just switched cabs. 1104 was usually mated with SD40-2 5592 which I also modeled.

CP 5479 is a true B-unit. It has an engine and traction motors, most of the cab was stripped out and the windows covered over. The high nose gives this units Southern heritage away, originally SOU 3248 then NS 3248. It was sold to GATX leasing which sold it to CP. It served on CP in NS black for a while, but was painted into the CP Rail dual flags. 5479 was sold in 2003 to NRE.

I'm planning to do some GP60B's for my rail road and I may paint a high hood GP40X as a B-unit as well.

If you're reading this Jerome...I've got an idea for that High Hood SD40-2 you sent me...

I also have plans here on making the Winchester & Western's slug locomotive. I plan on taking a Atlas RS-11 shell, triming it down, put it on a RS-11 chassis, and put a SW1500 cab on it. I'll keep you guys posted on this project, as I just need to buy the SW1500 cab to get started

I have a undecorated GP40X shell/frame here that has no detail parts with it, and was destined for the junk pile. A GP40XB is a good idea...

Phil

Back