Slugs & Bugs (B-units)

Boy this thread petered out....I guess I will have to post some of my slug units I have acquired over the years....

Although some the posts here are amazing examples of work on the slugs and B units...wow.

James, OK I'll bite. Pay close attention to the front 3 units.

20191004_180543.jpg

I love that DL109 loco that Proto1000 did,...the only DL109 in plastic, ...particularly the Santa Fe one. SF was one of the few lines that had a B-unit for that engine, so I gathered up a few extra to kitbash into a powered B-unit
https://modelrailroadforums.com/for...20-and-a-b-unit-for-dl-109.21934/#post-279599

18969-4cc241bbd98df40ff640349635ded605.jpg

But I have yet to finish that project. In the meantime I bought a BLI B-unit that looks almost like it belongs behind that A-unit,...and it has sound & DCC already in it.
1604583934266.png

I love that DL109 loco that Proto1000 did,...the only DL109 in plastic, ...particularly the Santa Fe one. SF was one of the few lines that had a B-unit for that engine, so I gathered up a few extra to kitbash into a powered B-unit
https://modelrailroadforums.com/for...20-and-a-b-unit-for-dl-109.21934/#post-279599

18969-4cc241bbd98df40ff640349635ded605.jpg

But I have yet to finish that project. In the meantime I bought a BLI B-unit that looks almost like it belongs behind that A-unit,...and it has sound & DCC already in it.
View attachment 120421

I always liked the DL-107s thru 110s even though UP never had them I thought the nose on them were awesome!

A units (cabs)[edit]
B units (cabless boosters)[edit]
RailroadQuantityRoad numbersModel
Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe Railway150ADL-108
Cincinnati, New Orleans & Texas Pacific (Southern Railway)26425, 6426DL-108
Southern Railway12954DL-110

Since ALCO is so skeered of crickets, I'd thought I would case a bit of noise . CSX RMDT 2225 has been around for quite some time, but never appeared on this thread. It's a Proto GP30 that has had its fans removed and doors plated over as per the prototype. The remaining doors at the aft end have had louvers installed , and she kept her dynamic fan, all per CSX practices. I did 3 of these at one time (all appearing in an RMC article) 1 I decorated in the clob scheme, I was painted in a Chessie fantasy scheme by its eventual owner and the 3rd unit I did the CSX paint. Sharp eyed folks also spot the artistic license I took with the "mother" unit.
2225.JPG

40resized.jpg

Since ALCO is so skeered of crickets, I'd thought I would case a bit of noise . CSX RMDT 2225 has been around for quite some time, but never appeared on this thread. It's a Proto GP30 that has had its fans removed and doors plated over as per the prototype. The remaining doors at the aft end have had louvers installed , and she kept her dynamic fan, all per CSX practices. I did 3 of these at one time (all appearing in an RMC article) 1 I decorated in the clob scheme, I was painted in a Chessie fantasy scheme by its eventual owner and the 3rd unit I did the CSX paint. Sharp eyed folks also spot the artistic license I took with the "mother" unit.View attachment 122085
View attachment 122086

Karl,

There is a place called Wildwood Fl....they had and may still have them.... there are a few CSX GP30s 2 of them are slugs. One of them literally has concrete poured in the fuel tank reservoir! I don't understand that but they did it....if you do a google of it on google maps you can see some shots of them. It's just an hour north of Plant City Fl where the double diamond crossings are..... I used to hang out there too for some RR action.

Back