Slugs & Bugs (B-units)

Greetings, long time no post. I am almost finished with my F40PH B unit for my rail grinder. I bought this Walthers Trainline model at the LHS for 20 bucks and a friend gave me an old Bachman shell to use as a donor. After running the train with an A unit and a slug I realized I needed a bit more power. It is a fantasy unit but it has been a blast to build...now if I can just get off my butt and finish detailing it and the rest of the train I will be in business. Thanks for looking, Rich.

nothing like looking at what others have done to get the creative juices flowing...

one question I've got is, I'm looking to cut up a model power GP9 (U, RM, whatever you want to call it, not a high-nose), what thickness of styrene would be good to patch up the shell? I think I've only got 0.20 sheets handy right now, may hae to make a trip to the hobby store (oh darn, eh?)

Last edited by a moderator:
Greetings, long time no post. I am almost finished with my F40PH B unit for my rail grinder. I bought this Walthers Trainline model at the LHS for 20 bucks and a friend gave me an old Bachman shell to use as a donor. After running the train with an A unit and a slug I realized I needed a bit more power. It is a fantasy unit but it has been a blast to build...now if I can just get off my butt and finish detailing it and the rest of the train I will be in business. Thanks for looking, Rich.

that is a very cool and most unusuall b unit, but in a good way. Its something i've never seen and im sure not many people would think of as a b unit.

I just got another switcher.. (SW15, I need a powered frame) But the SW7RS-B unit I have is looking to get painted sometime soon...

Here's the "What If" C424B. Inspiration came from a model, and the BC Rail M420B.

DSC07439.png

Phil

I have a ABBA set for the SP Black Widow F7 units all powered. These unit's pull a 40 car PFE refer train.
I also have a ABBA Milwaukee Road F7 set.
All of ABBA sets have dummy couplers on the front's, draw bars in the middel and Kadee couplers on the rear. I found that to get the close coupling i wanted i had to use the draw bars. The over all look is great.
I have 2 slug units in the want to build list.

I have no pics at this time had to start over with a new computer.

I think either Cannon or Railpower....I am not sure Josh or Smoke may know....
I want to say rpp has a sd45b? maybe a SD45-2B shell. Let me go find out, I have a project one sitting in the basement..........

Ok, it is a SD45-2B. I believe it was a kit and you had to build the B unit.

Last edited by a moderator:
No one I know of but Brass has made an SD45B, SD40-2B or SD45-2B. Only problem is every one is different, as they're all rebuilds. I've gotten a number of RPP SD45-2's never with any B unit conversion equipment.

To build a B unit of them, you simply removed the cab, hood, and sub-base, and replace with sheet styrene and Cannon components, such as a high hood kit:
http://walthers.com/exec/productinfo/191-1101

As for EMD cabs, Cannon makes them. Remember that Dash 2's have a small overhang to the rear of the cab roof, where as 35-45 line, non-dash 2's do not. Cannon sells both, one is a Dash 2 cab, the other should be named something like EMD 35 line cab.
http://walthers.com/exec/productinfo/191-1501
http://walthers.com/exec/productinfo/191-1502

Also not the pictures show an L window, the cabs come with both. If you plan to model an SP unit where the L window has be "two paned" buy this Hi-Tech details part, can combine it with the Cannon cab, it'll create the correct narrow post between the windows.
http://walthers.com/exec/search?quick=331-5014&quicksrch_butt.x=0&quicksrch_butt.y=0

Anything else?

good question...I am not sure...I think only custom stuff though...maybe RailPower..not sure though.

I think Smokey Valley made a conversion for those BN cabless B23-7s...I know somebody did, but not sure of the make. I have one somewhere around here, and it was a pain in the butt to work with (hard to get straight).

Phil

Back