Running Bear's Cofee Shop LI

Afternoon folks, well 62F, sunny and cool but hey! 2 degrees past the 60 and less we've had for most of the month, things are looking up, hope it gets warm before winter sets in.
COFFEE, need something hot to drive out the chill, yep although the temp is not bad it rained last night and the dampness is something else. Might as well have some pancakes (oops! the sun is gone again so another dull day). Yesterday I Got a lot of the old sawdust, wood pieces, risers etc. burned it outside. Styrofoam and plaster pieces to the garbage. Busy day, but a lot more to do yet. When my wife became increasingly incapacitated the trains and basement area suffered, tools were never put back, off cuts from the saws were left where they fell. I'll soon be able to dismantle some the present bench work and rearrange it into a " U " shaped bench-work. The air exchanger and duct work is completed so the florescent lights and ceiling can go back up again, plus the fact the room is a bit larger now. It is surprising the amount of junk one can accumulate in 10 years, very little of it will be kept :( but really if it hasn't been used in all that time it's not needed (Locos and consists excluded)
Thanks for the java and a chance to babble a bit, so it's back to the below ground area (Cave) for mor progress
So1 y'all have a great railroading day
Cheers from
dismal Willie
hmmmm! Sun is out again

I used to fly a lot. One trip on TWA I really enjoyed was a flight from New York to Rome when I was transferred to a ship in Gaeta, Italy. The plane wasn't crowded and the flight attendant moved to to first class. The meals were outstanding, not like the stale sandwich and tiny bottle water you get today. I have just about given up flying commercial airlines after a trip to Hawaii a few years ago. We were booked with Delta and the only flights back to the mainland were evening flights. Left at 10 pm and there was no way to sleep because the seats only reclined a matter of inches. Got into LA just before 5 am and everything was closed in the way of food. From there we went to Salt Lake City. At this point I was ready to eat the hind end out of a skunk and couldn't find a sit down restaurant, everything was fast food. From there we flew into Bozeman and ended up waiting for well over an hour for our luggage because the latches for the cargo bays were frozen. This was in January and the air temp at altitude was minus 67. Temp on the gouund in Bozeman was a toasty +5. Also all of the security checks are a pain in the a**.

I really prefer to drive if I have a choice. You miss a lot when you're up at 35,000 feet. We usually allow ourselves more than enough time to get to out destination so we'll have time to stop and check out any local points of interest that we may be interested in.

The one way I don't mind flying is the way I went down to Daytona Beach last February in this nice little Cessna Citation. No security, The FBO parks and stores your vehicle for you if needed. You have more room in this small jet to stretch out than in any commercial plane. This plane was a NetJets plane, which is what I would call a time share plane. The only way to fly, if you really have to unless you can pilot your own aircraft.

0880624-20150215-142005685.jpg NetJets-Bermuda-June-3-2014-4-20150215-14194734.jpg

I

Evening All,

My youngest grandson had a good time at the club today, but he was ready to go after 45 minutes. I came home and re-adjusted the fascia on the new section so there is a lip on the track that is up against the edge. After that I tried to hook up my Pennsy billboard but it is messed up and won't work. The electrical leads have worn off on the very thin plastic, so I have to decide if I want to purchase another one. I set the buildings down on the siding section. Still need to put in detail parts and trees.

Tomorrow I am going to work on the WS tree kit that I received from my daughter and grandkids for Fathers Day.

20150624_143903_zpsdqcrtjor.jpg

I hope everyone has a good night.

Tomorrow I am going to work on the WS tree kit that I received from my daughter and grandkids for Fathers Day.

I would like some details about your tree kit. I have looked at some but they all seem kind of pricey for so few trees.

Everyone else: I need a different way to stick my light poles down. The hot glue worked just fine - too good in fact and I've torn up several of the ones I already had put down. I don't want to take the chance of ruining my new ones.
E.

Big E- I will post about it tomorrow, but it makes something like 144 trees. I use caulk to "glue" in place detail parts on the layout. It dries solid and if you spray it with ISO it will come up pretty easy. I use the bathroom clear caulk that comes in a squeeze tube that can be recapped and stored. I buy it at Lowes but it is fairly easy to find. Hope this helps.

Thanks Curt. Yeah, that helps. I can get some of that tomorrow evening at the WalMart probably.

Wow! Over 140 trees!! I'm really interested now. That might completely cover my entire table!
E.

Eric, try a heat gun to re-melt the hot glue. Once it's softened, the lights should come up with no trouble.

Eric, try a heat gun to re-melt the hot glue. Once it's softened, the lights should come up with no trouble.

Nice idea - if I had one. Not big giant deal really. It's ok if I can't save them all. I got some more of the same ones when I got the new ones just in case. Now I've probably got more light pole lights than I'll ever use.
I just don't like the idea of not being able to re-use something that was working just fine and dandy.
E.

Wow. Major storms here this evening. Heavy lightening and rain all around the metro area.
I heard them say we were getting 10k lightening strikes per hour there for a while..
Even the feral cat I've been befriending for months decided he just might want to ease on in for a while.
I left the door open for him and he came in but never got far enough inside where he couldn't bolt right out.
Still raining a little and an occasional boomer but not like it was earlier.
E.

Eric, do you have a hair dryer?

Negative. I had a feeling you might ask that and almost said so in my reply.
In my case, I think I just got the glue down in the hole where the wires fed through.
I'm going with Curt's recommendation on some bathroom caulk I can dissolve with ISO-91 if need be.
E.

Seems I've been asked, and accepted, a forum moderating task.
This will be the 2nd time I've done this for these folks. No pay of course but they are happy to send shirts, hats, coffee cups, calendars and any other kind of stuff they have made up or they get from paying advertisers.
They just re-launched a complete re-build of their site a couple weekends ago with a completely new forum software engine behind the scenes. Works just like this one actually so there was no learning curve for me.

Funny thing is, their new forum show titles like this does under our names (a bit more fancier on the display). He changed my title to "super moderator". Like here, I can override that in my profile but I'm going to let it stick for a few months and see who contacts me directly. They had 3 other versions of this site before asking me to come back and I was all the time being accused of deleting peoples' posts thinking I was a "secret admin" or something.
I wonder how many will notice my title this time. Perhaps they won't question it now, being I'm leaving it public.
One good friend of mine will certainly call me. He calls about once a week anyhow.
Hundreds of these folks know me personally already. Never been a problem. Only deleted 2 post I can remember and threatened to ban 1 user but he backed off.

Anyway, a few PMs later today, they call "conversations", with the owner says he basically said to just keep a watch out for offensive post, personal attacks, etc., delete posts as needed and that kind of thing. He knows I know their rules - even though I think they a little too stringent - I follow their wishes. The first time I did this for them was more as an engineer and he had granted me complete unfettered access to their live server and everything.

That's ok. They've always been thankful to me over the years even when I wasn't doing anything for or with them.
Just thought I'd share.
E
This time, it's more of a just "want another set of eyes to keep vigil".

Thanks to all of you for the comments on your airline experiences. Nice ride there, CHET.

I am going to be more or less out of touch for the next six days. I may get a chance to sneak a peek somewhere along the road.

Stay safe all, and remember: Never in the course of commercial aviation has an airplane failed to return to earth!

Good morning. Starting the day off with a hot cup of coffee and 60 degrees.

Curt - really looking good. You sure are making progress.

Good morning, 78 and sunny, four days of rain on the horizon though. Today is lawn maintenance day. :rolleyes:

This morning continues my "easter egg hunt" with UPS.
Early last week, I sent a package to my stepson in Florida, at his work address.
To date, it hasn't been delivered, and is still floating around in their system--somewhere.
The tracking number yields nearly two pages of tracking and notations. He works for a Lexus dealer that gets shipments from UPS daily, but they can't find the address. The latest note was the package had gone from Tampa to Orlando, then back to Tampa. Delivery has been re-re-re-re-rescheduled for today. Somewhere.

Good morning guys. We had on and off light rain all night, a little sun poking through this morning.

I drive around a lot in the countryside for my job and have been seeing a lot of fawns lately.

Thankfully the bad weather had been dodging us.

The cheapest gas I remember was 24 cents a gallon but on my layout you can buy it for 12:

gas station 013.jpg

Good morning guys. We had on and off light rain all night, a little sun poking through this morning.

I drive around a lot in the countryside for my job and have been seeing a lot of fawns lately.

Thankfully the bad weather had been dodging us.

The cheapest gas I remember was 24 cents a gallon but on my layout you can buy it for 12:

View attachment 50705
An HO scale gallon would cost $10.44 in real gallons...

Back