Running Bear's Cofee Shop LI

Good Morning, we have 58 and sunny. Weekend approaches, although rain forcast for Sunday.

Big E,Trussrod---I like the Hobby tack too, use it for all sorts of stuff on the layout. And in my experience, a small jar goes a long way! It has different properties from rubber cement because it becomes clear and only needs be applied to one surface, I use a toothpick to apply usually a drop/dab onto one of the surfaces.

Curt--thanks for the comment on the photo

Good morning everybody ...

LASM ... I like your little gas station scene. ... Trussrod David called you David. Are you also a David?

My model train friend and his wife will be stopping here later today on their way home to northern Illinois from Florida. It will be a brief stop over instead of about 5 days as previously planned. The are in a hurry because they ;earned their basement flooded with all the rain where they live. A long power outage prevented the sump pump from working. On the floor, they had cardboard boxes with model trains in them. ... Yikes !

Thanks, Garry;

My real name is David Banta. Trussrod figured that out somehow. He might have gotten it from my youtube channel which is called my real name.

That's how I got your name too, Chet; in fact I was able to contact Louis through his youtube channel as well. No place to hide on the internet.

Morning fellers. Already mid 80s here and humid. High in the lower 90s a 50-60% chance of storms later on.

I have differing views on being anonymous. On this forum it serves no purpose. This is just a hobbiest's site.
It's not like we have bosses watching over our shoulders worrying about what sort of business issues we might be airing in public - like is often the case on my land surveyors forum I help moderate. I can understand the need for it there.
Yeah, I use a moniker here but have never made any attempt to hide who I really am. You all have gotten to know me pretty well pretty fast and some of us have done business together.

Truss and LASM (David and David):
Are you guys talking about this stuff?
http://www.modeltrainstuff.com/Woodland-Scenics-S195-Hob-E-Tac-Adhesive-p/woo-s195.htm

I got a tube of that stuff Curt was telling me about the day.
The same stuff I posted in that pic I put up. Under $3 at WalMart.
I'll never use it all before it goes bad - unless I need to re-caulk the bathrooms and/or kitchen.
I don't mind getting other stuff.

So sell me or talk me out of it please - all opinions welcome!
E.

Yes, that is what I bought, the Woodland scenics stuff. It is great. I bought mine when I started the hobby 5 years ago and still am using the same jar, though am on the bottom. Sometimes I use it to temporarily adhere and add ca clue later if I think I want it permanent.

I used it to attach my powerlines and then followed up with ca glue, because the hobby tack holds right away (after the 15 minute wait time, the line would be touched to the hobby tack and stay there). The ca glue has no forgiveness like hobby tack.

I also used it to attach foliage to about 30 trees. Some I followed up with ca glue later.

I saw something at wal mart last week that sounded like the same stuff, but the description on the jar was not clear and I was not sure if it was going to work, plus I still have some hobby tack left and will use it.

Yes, that is what I bought, the Woodland scenics stuff. It is great. I bought mine when I started the hobby 5 years ago and still am using the same jar, though am on the bottom. Sometimes I use it to temporarily adhere and add ca clue later if I think I want it permanent.

I used it to attach my powerlines and then followed up with ca glue, because the hobby tack holds right away (after the 15 minute wait time, the line would be touched to the hobby tack and stay there). The ca glue has no forgiveness like hobby tack.

I also used it to attach foliage to about 30 trees. Some I followed up with ca glue later.

I saw something at wal mart last week that sounded like the same stuff, but the description on the jar was not clear and I was not sure if it was going to work, plus I still have some hobby tack left and will use it.

I heard some use sticky hair spray to foliage to branches and stuff. Seems to me like it would work just fine.

Does anyone have an idea about a tunnel portal mold where I can "pour my own"? Single portal HO scale. I'm too skiddish about buying outright.

Hair spray works fine E. Try to find the cheapest you can. I use Spray Net. On these trees, I used the Woodland Scenics polyfiber on the tree armature, in this case sagebrush. With the poly fibre stretched over the armature, I'll spray the polyfiber with the hair spray and then sprinkle ground foam onto the tree. If more foliage is needed, it will get another shot of hair spray and then when it has enough foliage, another over spray of hair spray.

Logan 012.JPGLogan 013.jpg

Good afternoon fellow spike ponders,
Good to see every one here at Running Bears' Dinner, are you treating Flo and Francine good by leaving a nice tip? I have to admit I've forgotten too most of the time.

Per Wunderground Weather:
It's Clear & Hot at 96.4 °F - Feels Like 94 °F, more like 100 °F to me;

Winds are from the West at 7.8 mph and slightly cool.

Good Morning, we have 58 and sunny. Weekend approaches, although rain forcast for Sunday.

Big E,Trussrod---I like the Hobby tack too, use it for all sorts of stuff on the layout. And in my experience, a small jar goes a long way! It has different properties from rubber cement because it becomes clear and only needs be applied to one surface, I use a toothpick to apply usually a drop/dab onto one of the surfaces.

David, Yes the more you apply the stronger the hold but it can show up too.

Good morning everybody ...

LASM ... I like your little gas station scene. ... Trussrod David called you David. Are you also a David?

Well Garry, Now that would be three of us and there are only two.

Thanks, Garry;

My real name is David Banta. Trussrod figured that out somehow. He might have gotten it from my youtube channel which is called my real name.

David, Actually I think it was when I sent you a PM.

Truss and LASM (David and David):
Are you guys talking about this stuff?
http://www.modeltrainstuff.com/Woodland-Scenics-S195-Hob-E-Tac-Adhesive-p/woo-s195.htm

So sell me or talk me out of it please - all opinions welcome!
E.

Eric, The product is, 'Woodland Scenics Hobby Tack', and comes in a 2 Fl oz. bottle with a brush applicator, but it's way too big for most things I've used it on. So a tooth pick is needed in most cases. It is very tack and if you get in on your fingers you'll wish you hadn't but it washes off with water.

As David B. and I have said it can be used for a number of applications. A couple of ways I'm planning on using it are on barrels and crates or any kind of load I want to transfer from one location to another to give more realism to moving merchandise from one location to another along with possibly workers or people waiting at a station to be transferred to another. That way it makes your layout come alive as your not always seeing the same merchandise or people at any one location as well at they're placement at the new location to vary things.

Eric, The product is, 'Woodland Scenics Hobby Tack', and comes in a 2 Fl oz. bottle with a brush applicator, but it's way too big for most things I've used it on. So a tooth pick is needed in most cases. It is very tack and if you get in on your fingers you'll wish you hadn't but it washes off with water.

Look at the link I posted earlier. Is it the same stuff?
It's not called "Hobby Tack". It's labeled as "Hob-E-Tac" which is by Woodland Scenics.

Evening All,

I guess we will be back at daughters house tomorrow painting siding after it is delivered. We figure it will be easier to paint in the driveway instead of on the roof after it is installed. Today I started putting trees on the lake section. Now I need to wait until the trees I ordered come in to finish "planting" in that section. After I have the trees in I can finish the lake.

20150626_135736_zps9nwy6pnh.jpg

I hope everybody has a good night.

Good afternoon fellow spike ponders,
Good to see every one here at Running Bears' Dinner, are you treating Flo and Francine good by leaving a nice tip? I have to admit I've forgotten too most of the time.

Per Wunderground Weather:
It's Clear & Hot at 96.4 °F - Feels Like 94 °F, more like 100 °F to me;

Winds are from the West at 7.8 mph and slightly cool earlier.

New weather update: it's now 5:45 Pm and 108.7* oh, excuse me, I see it went down a bit, 107.2*. And my evaporative cooler isn't working, at least the nights generally cool of a fair amount but sometimes not till late. I also still have a fair amount of weed eating to do of the surround area yet not to mention trying to keep the grass and plants watered! Fortunately I have my own water well, knock on wood, and praise the Lord it's holding up, so no water restrictions but I don't use that much anyway. I guess that means I'll need to get to bed earlier with a fan blowing on me and get up earlier to beat the heat. It feels better that way anyway. My friend Joe usually gets up at around 3:00 Am which is a little too early for me.

Speaking of weed eating, as I may have mentioned prior I went my second tank of gas with my new 30cc 4 cycle Troy-BuiltTrimmer-Plus unit. It has a shaft that splits in the middle to accept other attachments which is a real benefit around here as I make use of the pole Chain Saw as well as the Adjustable Angle Hedge Trimmer which I use a considerable amount around here. I just need to remember to keep the crank case oil changed on this new weed trimmer as well as use a good grade of Snythetic multi-viscosity 10- 40 engine oil. It only uses a very small amount anyway.

Take care and have a cool evening .

Say David: care to exchange weather? I didn't think so. LoL

Say Eric: Yes, your correct, I got lazy and didn't call it by it's correct name, 'Hob-E-Tac'.

Have a great day all.

... their basement flooded with all the rain where they live. A long power outage prevented the sump pump from working. On the floor, they had cardboard boxes with model trains in them. ... Yikes !

Garry, I'm sorry to hear that happened to your friend! I narrowly avoided the same fate in early summer 2011, when we had a torrential downpour followed by a power outage. I watched the water level rising in the sump, then started shuttling 5-gallon buckets full of water up the stairs and out the front door. The sump would re-fill back up to its previous level in the amount of time it took me to haul a bucketful out, so I could barely keep up with it during the two-hour outage. That experience convinced me to invest in a Basement Watchdog battery-powered backup sump pump, with a battery that could provide 12 hours of continuous running after being fully-charged. It was a real lifesaver when Hurricane Irene hit a few months later and knocked out our power.

I just got back from an op session at the house of an old friend in Hagerstown, one of my steel mill-modeling buddies. My particular job this time was to run the Beaver Falls Local, switching industries in an area with trackwork as complex as a Timesaver - but that's precisely what made it fun, it certainly kept me occupied! I also got to meet one of my online friends from "across the street"; he grew up near Cleveland and knows alot about the area I'm modeling. All in all, a great evening.

It's long past my bedtime, time to go. Those of you in the path of Tomorrow's monsoon - stay dry! (David in Cali, stay cool!)

Last edited by a moderator:
Okay, there seems to be a temporary lull in the festivities. I would much rather have a nice, gentle, soaking rain, after several weeks of nothing. That way, the water would be able to soak in to the soil, and do something besides cause floods.

17314_1022333747790412_2795878639629966544_n.jpg

Good morning....hmmmm....12:21, good day gentlemen!
Nice and sunny here in Glasgow today, well....at least fir now! lol
Got another Atlas RS3 delivered today, one of the laster Black Box ones, also had another book delivered this week...

Atlas Classic Alco RS3.jpg

...and I think that I'm waiting for yet another
RS3 and an RS11!

Track Planning for Realistic Operation.jpg

Have to say that it's a very interesting book this...

Trains, Tracks and Tall Timber.jpg

This one's great, didn't know that Weyerhaeuser had
several FM H10-24's before I bought it...which is good
news for me and my Nordstrom business! lol

Milwaukee Railroader Magazine.jpg

Got to say that the MRHA really have a top quality magazine!

Morning Gents. Low 70s and rain here today. Predicted high of only 83 today. Much better than those high 90s all week.
Dang 113! Where do you find all these Milwaukee Road books?
Before joining the forum here I'd never even heard of it before.
Not terribly surprising really since I've been away from railroading for the past decades.

Except for getting held up in traffic on occasion I haven't been around many trains at all.
Working on a survey crew got me up close and personal a couple of times.
One day in particular caused me all kinds of grief being the instrument operator setup about 10' from an active rail line on rain soaked soil. Liquefaction is definitely not a land surveyor's friend.
E

Back