Running Bear's Coffee Shop XLVII

Oh well, time to get ready for work....have a nice day everybody!

176 Class I railroads in 1913! How many was there a 100 years later, in 2013?! ;):D

Evening All,

Had a great time at the club. We were the only ones there so I didn't feel like we were imposing on anyone. My uncle really enjoyed it and I am glad because it was his layout that got me interested in MRR'ing back in the 60's as a kid.

Tomorrow we are all going out to supper for Dad's 82nd birthday. My Dad, Mom and Uncle are going tomorrow to Downtown Disney to do some shopping.

I finally figured out how to post a picture on here. Cell phone photo-Email to self-put picture in computer picture section-download to photobucket-copy to forum.

20150216_124624_zpsclqup2e8.jpg

I hope everyone has a good night.

Curt, if your cell phone is a smart phone, you can get the photobucket app, and upload from the cell phone. This bypasses a couple of steps.

Hiya gang!

Looks good Curt!, Much better weathered!

Yep, its snowing, but it still didnt keep me from going to the train auction. Here's a little of what I got. The consolidation is Penn Line,, the Pacific is Mantua, and it came with a display case!! Both run great, !;) Carey,,,,jealous?? :rolleyes: Also got 4 boxes of assorted stuff,,books, car kits, structures etc. Some will go to fleabay, some stays here! Not sure about these 2 yet.

auction finds.jpg

Bed time call. catch yall later!

Good late afternoon,
Hi Flo and Francine I see the coffee shop is fairly full today. Just some coffee for me, for now. Maybe some dinner later?
Oh you have a surprise for dinner for me you'd like to try out, do you. Ok, give me a little while and I'm sure I'll be ready.

> >
The weather today was very nice, sunny with temps in the 70's, lets what WW says at 5:25Pm: 70.2 °F -Feels Like 76 °F, Winds are at 2.2 mph from the South. Lets see if I can get the other conditions? Not available at present, I wonder why not?

> ==

If it's of interest to anyone, I just posted an ad in the, 'For Sale section', about, HO Operating Water Tanks with sounds from Broadway Limited I have available at discounted pricing.

> ==

The thunder snow has gone "viral" apparently (was on our TV news this afternoon). The earthquake epicentre was near a small town (pop 500) of Eidsvold, half way between Brisbane and Rockhampton, and about 100miles inland from the coast, at about 2am. No reports of serious damage or injury, although it's been said, if it had happened under a town or city with bigger buildings, would have been more damaging. It was quite shallow at about 10 miles deep. Didn't feel anything here but there were reports from Brisbane to the south and further inland and up to Townsville in the north.

The area has a lot of faults apparently. Strangely, Christchurch in NZ had a similar one a few minutes later. As you may know, that city has suffered badly in the last few years from earthquakes, but NZ is called the "Shaky Isles". Queensland is not.

The butterfly stuff is a bit like the statement that goes "If a tree falls down in the forest, does it make a noise?"

Say Toot, Thanks for mentioning the, 'Thunder & Snow', I don't know if that's ever happened here in the U.S.? It's sure out of the ordinary to me.

Well, it's been about 4 years since I was active here or with any real modeling railroad or otherwise. I've been preoccupied with my son who was born almost 3 years ago. Now he is showing interest in trains and likes to see the model trains running at the shows I've taken him to so I'm going to get back to the basement to build a layout. I'm doing a total redesign as my focus has changed from a hobby for just me to a life event I can share with my son. Looks like we have a new model railroad fan if I can help it.

Not much else to report for now. Would like to say hello to all those folks here that I've not chatted with in over years. Hope to run into some of you sooner or later.
Dave

Say Dave, I think I remember you too, glad to have you back. I'm glad to hear your son likes trains, most guys do and I'm sure if he see's you enjoying them he will also.

> >

I'm getting hungry now so Francine, what's this surprise you wanted to dig into for dinner. Oh, a Chicken patty with 5 fish sticks, pan fried stir fry vegetables and a baked potato. That does sound good!

David .... The model railroader's license often is handy. I try to do one era, but other eras work their way onto the layout. ...... I have two ways of running trains on the layout. I have an operating session when I try to be prototypical with the equipment, with scheduling, and so on. ... Alternatively, I have running sessions in which I run anything I want any way I want completely disregarding rivet counters. LOL

Say Garry, Your right about modeler's license as it is often hard to stay within a certain time period and part of the reason I have rather a broad time period myself. Indeed, if I was attempting to be exact prototypically correct from a date standpoint I wouldn't be running my Box Cab Diesel Track Cleaners either. Of course they really aren't even prototypically correct as there is no such thing as track cleaners on the real RR. LoL I do wounder though how they maintain good electrical contact. LoL

I did want to mention though that in relation to the comment I made about not being able to find a very small and Early Steam Crane Hoist from an early time period I happened to run across an interesting video I got as part of 5 about early steam. The video was taken over in Ely Nevada and they happened to show some of the equipment in the yard and low and behold they showed a steam crane and mentioned the year was 1909 and it was of the larger 120 ton style of Brown hoist Crane along with the longer boom car, similar to what Bachmann or others have out and I'm looking or think about the predecessor of that one which should put it well within my time period.

As far as operating and scheduling I've been trying to figure a way to make up a, Pick-up and Delivery schedule using a Database but I'm really unfamiliar with working with one but not quite sure how to set up something without one but there are ways I'm sure?

What method do you use? I want to keep mine as simple as possible and almost thinking Woodland Scenics Inventory program might be very useful as a Pick-up-Delivery program as in listing your various equipment you can also list how it used.

It should be interesting to find out what your doing?

It sure looks like the east coast is getting hammered. It's a bit cool down here in Daytona Beach, but I won't complain. The trip down was good. The pilots did make a change to the flight plan due to some weather, and it was a bit bumpy for a short while, but an enjoyable trip. There was some weather moving across Illinois, Indiana and Kentucky. Took this picture of out plane after refueling and waiting for the pilots to make a change to the flight plan. Sure beats commercial air travel. Guess this is how the rich travels. Wonder if I'll have to write a check to Al Gorre?

View attachment 48483

Say Chet, Now I'm getting envious of you!

Evening All,

Had a great time at the club. We were the only ones there so I didn't feel like we were imposing on anyone. My uncle really enjoyed it and I am glad because it was his layout that got me interested in MRR'ing back in the 60's as a kid.

Tomorrow we are all going out to supper for Dad's 82nd birthday. My Dad, Mom and Uncle are going tomorrow to Downtown Disney to do some shopping.

I finally figured out how to post a picture on here. Cell phone photo-Email to self-put picture in computer picture section-download to photobucket-copy to forum.

That's what I did before, then forgot it, as I download a program from Photo Bucket that automatically updated new pics as I took them but always wanted/expceted me to be connected to WiFi which I don't always have access to, so the only other way is for me to send the picture to my computer and upload it to photo bucket.

Say Terry, I'm not sure what your referring to? are you saying the patrol car made those tracks through the parking lot?

Evening All,

Hi Curt, It's an interesting shot and the heavy timbers look better weathered. That must ad a fair amount of weight to the car too as I'll bet you have about 9' feet of rail on there. Is the track the car sitting on as well as the adjacent tracks hand laid? They look like they could be.

Nice touch with several rails and ties laid along side the line.

Good morning fellow rail, full scale and smaller, connoisseurs...
Hope that you lot, are all doing well..

Good morning everybody!

14 with light snow falling in southeast Baltimore, we picked up about 6 inches of powdery snow last night and that made for an easy clean up tis morning.

Don't forget to check on your neighbors in the bitter cold and snow.

Ken I am glad to hear you got that monkey off your back.

113 thanks for the history, I am enjoying reading your post and I look forward to the next one.

Have a great day everybody!

113 thanks for the history, I am enjoying reading your post and I look forward to the next one.
You're welcome Louis! I'm only forwarding, it as I found it online on the Wiki, I'm having fun doing it, as I'm learning a lot at the same time...

Good morning all. I looks like the northeast is getting hammered again. Here in Daytona Beach it is 69 degrees and overcast with some rain expected.

Guess I'll check out the hobby shops Curt mentioned in an earlier post. I have an old Highway Patrol friend who lives near Orlando and may check out the place Terry mentioned.

Going to check out posts from yesterday and get caught up on what's going on.

Stay warm you guys in the northeast.

I am getting a reprieve from work today. We were supposed to have 3-8" of snow, and ended up with 2" of snow, and half an inch of sleet and ice. I'm staying at home until late this afternoon, when I have an appointment. I may cancel it, depending on how the road in front of my house looks at that time.
I got an email from MB Klein, a locomotive I ordered will be here Thursday. It was the very last of their Intermountain SD40-2 "blowouts", for $89 with DCC installed.
I also was notified one of my problem children will be back from BLI tomorrow. All I need now is a replacement decoder for my BLI J, and everything will be working again--until the next thing breaks, anyway...

Good morning folks.

It's sunny and cold today. I guess that's par for the course for this time of year. The good news is that daylight savings time starts in three weeks!

I have an interesting development going on in my house. A girl that use to work for my wife is having a tough time in life and needs help. From the sounds of it, she had abandonment issues with her parents that have carried over to her adult life. She had an apartment with her boyfriend and a good job with my wife's company. Well, she broke up with her boyfriend and quit her job during the break up turmoil. There is more to the story than that but it sets the stage for me to possibly have a house guest for the next few days/months. She's a nice girl with a very nice dog. We have a five bedroom house with only two in use, one for sleeping, one for trains! I'm not that excited to share our home with someone but everyone needs a leg up every once in a while. My wife is a very good influence on most people she meets, including myself, and wants to do this. I guess she has started a new job but needs a bit of time to save up for all the expenses that come with signing a lease. I don't think I have a choice so I may as well act like I'm on board for now! Now I just have to convince the three cats that dogs are fun! Wish me luck!:D

Have a good day everyone.

Last edited by a moderator:
Good morning.... Total snowfall here was about 12" yesterday. Before yesterday, we had hardly any snow. ... It is cold.

On the layout, I am continuing to build a stock yard for shipments of cattle to originate.

Happy Model Railroading.

Back