Running Bear's Coffee Shop XLVII

Terry & Montanan- Colonial Photo & Hobby is still there. They don't carry as much stock as they used to. I usually only go when I have to because of the staff. There is 1 young guy that is friendly and helpful and several others that act like they don't want to be bothered. Another thing that I really don't like is when I first got back in the hobby and was starting a layout I had questions and I felt like they were talking down to me. Just my feelings.

Good evening ...

Carey .... Good to see you posting. Sorry to hear about health issue and lack of comfortable sleep. Hope it improves...... I have a Southern 4-6-2 in my display case which was a gift from a friend. It is the old Mantua model, and not a high quality model.

I used to shop at train stores when I traveled, but I have not done that on trips lately.

I am slowly working on the layout. Other stuff keeps interrupting.

Hi everyone,
Hi Flo and Francine, glad you keep this place going so we have a place to come too. Just coffee and maybe a slice of pie, yea, peach sounds good, thanks Francine.

> >

Today was a really nice Sunny day with temps in the 70's I think, Right now at 7:05 it's 55.8 °F - Feels Like 55.8 °F >it actually warmed up a bit even at this time of night<, Winds are from the ESE at 6.3 mph. No other conditions are available?

= = =
I watched a Video I received of the Restoration of CPR-2816 a 2-6-4, a really nice looking Loco when finished. They took you through the entire process which was quite extensive. A set of drivers weighed about, '8 tons' and were 75" in Diameter. The tires had to be turned or resurfaced on a Haugen? type machine, after they were checked to ensure they were properly in quarter and true. Quite a restoration process to say the least that took about 4 years if I remember correctly but once finished it only had a few minor glitches to it in it's initial testing and after a few minor adjustments performed flawlessly on a five day run through Canada.

Hope your day is good.

~~
Hiya gang!
Was hiding in the basement this morning. Got 6 out of 34 GM certification courses done,,,,,,need em all done by the end of the quarter, no big deal. :rolleyes:

Neurosurgeon visit yesterday,,,bad bones in my neck, need surgery at some point.:( Not an emergency, but before the end of the year. 2 weeks off , 6 weeks in a neck brace,,,there goes summer vacation time! :(

Say Karl, I'm sure you'll get your certification completed in plenty of time. As far, as the bones in your neck go, are you sure your getting enough Calcium to keep your requirement up. I always felt I was getting enough but realized that I wasn't after some of my teeth were getting bad that I wasn't. I'm now taking a liquid supplement by, 'Nature's Life' {Super Absorb-eze Calcium with Magnesium & Phosphorus plus it has 1,000 IU's of Viatamin D-3 I seems to feel better and it does seem to be helping my teeth also. You might want to check it our

Good evening ...

I am slowly working on the layout. Other stuff keeps interrupting.

Garry, That seems to be a lot of my problem too, LoL.
I'm laughing with you as it does get frustrating at times.

Relating to what you said in a prior post about your prior, 1890's layout, I understand as I've always enjoyed the earlier time period myself too but you have a much greater choice of equipment readily available to you in your current time period.

It's somewhat like I was looking for an early Steam Crane Hoist yet wanting to stay within my liberal time period between say about 1890 to 1910 only to find out that an early small Tichy Crane I saw on ebay was from about 1915, I think it said? Do I need it or want to spend the time to build it, not at this time but it is of interest but from a later date than I'm trying to stay within. So how much modlers license does one take advantage of. It's just like the Early Box Cab Diesels I use for track cleaners, they are out of my time period too as they didn't come about till about 1915 or later. Maybe I should just broaden my time period? LoL

Morning folks.
Mighty cold here right now. 27° and wind chill of 13.
They are calling for wintry mix tomorrow.
I've been up since around midnight. Not a lot I can do. Maybe swap out another coupler or so. Until I get the height gauge and shims it's kind of a useless effort it seems like.
Of course the track always could use a cleaning. Be my luck I'll run out of alcohol. I don't think Budweiser would work so well on the rails. :)

Dam insomnia... I'll figure out something to do.
Maybe just lay back down and get up around noon.

Good Morning!

TIPTON_DEPOT.png

The site was down for me yesterday morning so I missed out. This seems to be happening more often these days.

Partly cloudy today with a high of 11.
hairraiser_zps4g0moxl9.png

BLUECOFFEEMAN.png

Tipton.gif

Temperature in TIPTON IN

Terry & Montanan- Colonial Photo & Hobby is still there. They don't carry as much stock as they used to. I usually only go when I have to because of the staff. There is 1 young guy that is friendly and helpful and several others that act like they don't want to be bothered. Another thing that I really don't like is when I first got back in the hobby and was starting a layout I had questions and I felt like they were talking down to me. Just my feelings.

I know what you mean about that. There aren't many things in life that really set me off anymore. Insulting my intelligence and/or talking down to me is probably #1 on my list. Hanging up the phone on me is a close 2nd. You can cuss me out and slam the phone down but you better at least say "bye".
Everyone here has been super good to me.

Temp fell another 5 since my earlier post. I suppose it could get colder before sunrise.

Bill, that pic reminds me of a depot in Norcross, GA. There is also one in Stone Mountain similar.
I suppose one could hit Google Earth and do a "drive by" view. Both were in "downtown proper".

Good Morning. It's 9° with blowing snow. Not a whole lot on the ground, maybe 2" to 3", but the wind is really wild. All sorts of warnings for High Winds and Low Temperatures.
Looking ahead, the forecast is more like the Frozen North, than Jersey Coast. Spring is just a bit over four weeks away.....

As far, as the bones in your neck go, are you sure your getting enough Calcium to keep your requirement up. I always felt I was getting enough but realized that I wasn't after some of my teeth were getting bad that I wasn't. I'm now taking a liquid supplement by, 'Nature's Life' {Super Absorb-eze Calcium with Magnesium & Phosphorus plus it has 1,000 IU's of Viatamin D-3 I seems to feel better and it does seem to be helping my teeth also. You might want to check it our

David
I dont believe there is a supplement out there that can undo the damage done by horseback riding falls, dirtbike wrecks, and 2 serious car wrecks (not my fault) all multiplied by 54 years of, "hold my beer, lemme show ya something". :rolleyes: The bones now are pinching my spinal column, and I've obliterated a disk. Too late for meds now.:( Oh well, I'll just have to get an overhaul, and stop a alot of the nonsense.:cool:

Good morning. It's clear and 11, with a wind chill of -2.
We had some high winds last night, which blew down a tree in our back yard, narrowly missing our travel trailer.

Good morning its 6 with clear skies, blustery winds and an inch of snow blowing everywhere in southeast Baltimore. I don't even want to mention the wind chill!

Big E I hope you get some rest. If nothing else put your feet up and day dream about your railroad.

Karl it's time to stop acting like a teenager, I know that is hard to do but we have to do what we have to do. It was fun showing up those young guys, but sooner or later the bill comes due!

Bill I am glad to see it was only internet gremlins keeping you from opening up yesterday.

Terry I am glad to see you had a bit of good luck for a change.

Stay warm and have a great day everybody!

I went out to walk the dog a little bit ago, and took a look at the downed tree. It wasn't one tree, but two. One came down, and took the other one with it. It missed the trailer by 8 feet.
The trailer is insured, but they won't cover "acts of God". They will also only pay cash value, if damaged. They don't take into account any updating or modifications performed, or market value, just blue book. Which is $500. I've checked around, and almost every insurance company that will cover it for agreed value insists I leave it stationary, to minimize their exposure to loss. The two companies that will cover it want as much to insure it as I pay for my truck payment every month. So, I get really nervous when we have wind or bad weather...

Karl it's time to stop acting like a teenager, I know that is hard to do but we have to do what we have to do. It was fun showing up those young guys, but sooner or later the bill comes due!

Louis, I may grow older, but I'll never grow up!:rolleyes::cool::p

Hello shop dwellers,

Lots of sunshine in the Free State, but only 9*F with a sustained wind speed of 30mph from the NW. Got a fire going in the woodstove just in case we lose power.

David - your depot looks great! I was able to [barely] make out the "Jeffery's Diner" sign, an excellent tribute to our departed friend!

Eric, sorry to hear of your insomnia. I can relate, I have a mild case of it myself. Can't sleep any more than 4 hours a night (sometimes 5 if I'm lucky). I'm trying to avoid having to take any kind of pills, but I have some Lunesta for cases when sleep is critically needed [like the night before a long drive].

Karl - bummer about needing the neck surgery. I was having my own problems with a slightly-pinched spinal cord from a herniated disc, but luckily a cortisone injection got rid of most of that.

Terry - glad to see your trailer survived. That's infuriating about insurance companies, they totally ignore the investment of money and sweat you put into something to boost it's market value.

Sorry if I missed anybody, but I'm a little pressed for time here...gotta get ready for noon Mass!

Just set down in Davenport, IA to pick up our last passenger and to refuel. Next stop, Daytona Beach, FL.

NetJets-Bermuda-June-3-2014-3.jpg Nice comfortable ride. Sure beats flying commercial airlines.

Hello Karl,

David
I dont believe there is a supplement out there that can undo the damage done by horseback riding falls, dirtbike wrecks, and 2 serious car wrecks (not my fault) all multiplied by 54 years of, "hold my beer, lemme show ya something". :rolleyes: The bones now are pinching my spinal column, and I've obliterated a disk. Too late for meds now.:( Oh well, I'll just have to get an overhaul, and stop a alot of the nonsense.:cool:

Well Karl, The Calcium supplement may not totally undue all that's happened but even if it helped to rebuild some of the bones a bit it might relieve you of some of your pain and suffering? I think I only paid something like $13.50 for a quart of the stuff plus $5.00 flat rate shipping so it's not a major outlay and just might help you out?? Your call of course.

Good evening. It is clear and 20. We have a winter storm warning for tomorrow afternoon through Tuesday at noon. They are forecasting up to 5 inches of snow, along with sleet and freezing rain. The snow I can deal with, the ice, not so much. Hopefully no ice and not much snow will make it here.

*> The auto save feature sure saved my bacon tonight!<*
Hi fellow modelers,
Today again was a very nice Spring like day and fairly warm, indeed the Oaks and my Red Bud Trees are for the most budding out with small leaves appearing and it too early in the season.

Lets see what WW says: At 8:08 Pm it's 53.8 °F - Feels Like 53.8 °F, Winds are at 5.8 mph and out of the ENE. The high was 72 °F and the low will be 46 °F. Humidity is 79%

Hello shop dwellers,

David - your depot looks great! I was able to [barely] make out the "Jeffery's Diner" sign, an excellent tribute to our departed friend!

Thanks Ken your compliment is appreciated. As I told Garry, it still need more work to finish it off properly but the little folks don't seem to notice too much.
Garry you too: Thanks to both of you for your confidence that the little sign actually said what I claimed! His sign and even the Horseshoe Meadow Depot one are printed on a goldish colored Parchment card stock but unfortunately with the flash it doesn't stand out as well as in person. Here it is enlarged in the close-up shot from a couple of days ago. I finally realized that I just needed to send it from my phone to my email address on my computer and then pull it into my photo program to correct it if need be and then upload it to PB.

Now the little sign should show up. I wasn't intentionally trying to make it too small but wanted to keep it to scale and actually it was a bit smaller before. It actually shows up better in person as there is a bit more contrast to it. Jeffrey was quite a knowledgeable guy in many ways! It's a shame his life was cut short so soon, too soon.

JeffreysDinerClose-up-Exp1Jpg_zpsdfa517cb.jpg

Eric, sorry to hear of your insomnia. I can relate, I have a mild case of it myself. Can't sleep any more than 4 hours a night (sometimes 5 if I'm lucky). I'm trying to avoid having to take any kind of pills, but I have some Lunesta for cases when sleep is critically needed [like the night before a long drive].

Here's something that might help both of you to sleep? It' a supplement called, 'Valerian', I've used it myself in the past and it did seem to allow me a good nights sleep. I'm back drinking coffee again but making a bit weaker than I was so I have to take extra Potassium which coffee tends to deplete in our systems as it a diauretic so I take extra of that. Also having some protien before bed time helps too.

Don't miss understand and think I love to take this and that all the time as that's not the case but it seems as we get older or have had injuries our system requires more things and Calcium is one I was lacking considerable and as I read most older folk don't get enough of it in our systems.

Back