Running Bear's Coffee Shop XLVII

Well.......I see one American is happy to have snow, thunder snow eh! Oh well, we had a 5.2 earthquake up north, so, if a butterfly flaps it's wings in...............................................

Hi Toot, I'm not so sure I understand your comment about if a butterfly flaps it wings but I will say one thing, that's the fact a 5.2 earthquake is getting fairly strong. I hope not too much damage was done and everybody is safe?

I missed the post about Thunder & snow, I've never seen or heard of that before. Thunder always seems to be associated with rain from my experience but I guess it's possible?

Say BOB:
I'd like to know how this site calculates the amount of time, 'Between Posts', as has been stated to me on a number of occasions as though I attempted to post one on top of another when indeed, I DID NOT!

Prior to only clicking on the post button once to reply to, 'Toot', I was in operating trains and doing some track work. So I had just gotten back to the forum and indeed had to move to a new page from my prior post of about 2 hrs. earlier.

So what gives about the message of having to wait at least 30 seconds between posts when '2 hrs' had elapsed from my prior post ?? ?? ??

How are things calculated? Also it caused this double post as it has in the past!

>>
Hi Toot, I'm not so sure I understand your comment about if a butterfly flaps it wings but I will say one thing, that's the fact a 5.2 earthquake is getting fairly strong. I hope not too much damage was done and everybody is safe?

I missed the post about Thunder & snow, I've never seen or heard of that before. Thunder always seems to be associated with rain from my experience but I guess it's possible?<<

Last edited by a moderator:
The thunder snow has gone "viral" apparently (was on our TV news this afternoon). The earthquake epicentre was near a small town (pop 500) of Eidsvold, half way between Brisbane and Rockhampton, and about 100miles inland from the coast, at about 2am. No reports of serious damage or injury, although it's been said, if it had happened under a town or city with bigger buildings, would have been more damaging. It was quite shallow at about 10 miles deep. Didn't feel anything here but there were reports from Brisbane to the south and further inland and up to Townsville in the north.

The area has a lot of faults apparently. Strangely, Christchurch in NZ had a similar one a few minutes later. As you may know, that city has suffered badly in the last few years from earthquakes, but NZ is called the "Shaky Isles". Queensland is not.

The butterfly stuff is a bit like the statement that goes "If a tree falls down in the forest, does it make a noise?"

COFFEE_CREME1.png

Good Morning!

Cloudy today with a high of 19.

BLUECOFFEEMAN.png

Tipton.gif

Temperature in TIPTON IN

Good morning. It's cloudy and 21.

If a tree falls in the forest, do the other trees laugh at it?

Timeline of Class I railroads (1910–29)

The following is a brief history of the North American rail system, mainly through major changes to
Class I railroads, the largest class by operating revenue.

I finally heard about my MIA package:

usps said:
The package is delayed and will not be delivered by the expected delivery date. An updated delivery date will be provided when available. Your item departed our USPS facility in GREENSBORO, NC 27495 on February 15, 2015 at 7:24 am. The item is currently in transit to the destination.

Good Morning: +1° F this morning. The temperature actually registered 0° at some point overnight. It's supposed to be sunny and cold today with a high of 20°, with more snow tomorrow. :rolleyes: Certainly, not a beach day :rolleyes:. It's been a few years, since it was this cold, especially this late in the winter. Normal Daylight high temperature for Central New Jersey in mid February is 42°.

I do have to venture out and clear the driveway, before the next snow. Other than that, I'm working on assembling a Branchline Box car kit.

Like the other question, who knows? but maybe more to the point, who cares?
My view of philosophy exactly!

Good mooring everybody! it's 5 with the diminishing winds still blow with gust up to 25mph under clear skies in frozen southeast Baltimore.

I am looking forward to taking my pretty little wife shopping today, she actually wants something! I have a wonderful wife!

Stay warm and have a great day everybody!

Well, it's been about 4 years since I was active here or with any real modeling railroad or otherwise. I've been preoccupied with my son who was born almost 3 years ago. Now he is showing interest in trains and likes to see the model trains running at the shows I've taken him to so I'm going to get back to the basement to build a layout. I'm doing a total redesign as my focus has changed from a hobby for just me to a life event I can share with my son. Looks like we have a new model railroad fan if I can help it.

Not much else to report for now. Would like to say hello to all those folks here that I've not chatted with in over years. Hope to run into some of you sooner or later.

Dave

SNOW ! ... So far this season, we had little snow. That just changed. We awoke with maybe 6" on the ground and it will snow all day according to the weather guessers.

Garry, That seems to be a lot of my problem too, LoL.
I'm laughing with you as it does get frustrating at times.

Relating to what you said in a prior post about your prior, 1890's layout, I understand as I've always enjoyed the earlier time period myself too but you have a much greater choice of equipment readily available to you in your current time period.

It's somewhat like I was looking for an early Steam Crane Hoist yet wanting to stay within my liberal time period between say about 1890 to 1910 only to find out that an early small Tichy Crane I saw on ebay was from about 1915, I think it said? Do I need it or want to spend the time to build it, not at this time but it is of interest but from a later date than I'm trying to stay within. So how much modlers license does one take advantage of. It's just like the Early Box Cab Diesels I use for track cleaners, they are out of my time period too as they didn't come about till about 1915 or later. Maybe I should just broaden my time period? LoL

David .... The model railroader's license often is handy. I try to do one era, but other eras work their way onto the layout. ...... I have two ways of running trains on the layout. I have an operating session when I try to be prototypical with the equipment, with scheduling, and so on. ... Alternatively, I have running sessions in which I run anything I want any way I want completely disregarding rivet counters. LOL

Montanan ... I hope the bad weather did not affect flying and you had a safe trip.

It sure looks like the east coast is getting hammered. It's a bit cool down here in Daytona Beach, but I won't complain. The trip down was good. The pilots did make a change to the flight plan due to some weather, and it was a bit bumpy for a short while, but an enjoyable trip. There was some weather moving across Illinois, Indiana and Kentucky. Took this picture of out plane after refueling and waiting for the pilots to make a change to the flight plan. Sure beats commercial air travel. Guess this is how the rich travels. Wonder if I'll have to write a check to Al Gorre?

0880624.jpg

Hope that everyone's having a good day...

Good morning folks.

A few flurries and then back to highs around 0 to 10 for the rest of the week. I feel almost bad, usually we have quite a bit of snow AND sub zero temps this time of year. So far, very little snow. I think Mother Nature felt bad for the pummeling we've had the past few years.

Dave, welcome back to the forum and the hobby! I've just recently started participating again after a year and a half off.

I'm still adjusting to the new job. For someone who doesn't like change, I've certainly put myself through plenty of it recently! Selling high end furniture certainly matches up with my sales experience and skills better than car sales. I have plenty to learn but it feels much more natural. Hopefully I can sell enough to make it worth while.

That's all I know for now.
Have a good day everyone.

The local weather and state emergency people have been busy getting everyone all worked in a big frenzy over all this snow and freezing rain we were to get today. It's 38° right now and rain. They say [on radio] there was sleet in my area but I haven't seen it.
Dozens of schools that weren't already out for President's Day cancelled classes for today as early as Friday.
Talk about a bunch of "nervous Nellies".
I'll bet there isn't a loaf of bread and a gallon of milk anywhere in sight.

Granted, with what happened last year about this time, I guess I shouldn't fault them too much. After a fairly serious fall myself back then and the resulting concussion that lasted for the following 2 months, I won't be getting out in it. Got no reason to anyhow. Cold rain goes right through me and freezes me through and through.

Guess I can go do some track cleaning like I was going to do the other day when I couldn't sleep.
Since the mail isn't going to run, I won't plan on getting my coupler height gauge so I can get that monkey off my back.
Stay warm out there.

Morning All,

Been busy with family. Around 1 PM my Dad, Uncle and I are going to the train club for awhile. I got a call from Jon that the sound install and redecaling of my P2K heritage 0-8-0 is done. I will drive up on Friday to get it. My uncle leaves on Thursday. Tonight the grand kids come back to stay during the week. I was talking to my daughter last night and what I got out of it is she could be tied up for another 1-2 weeks.

Karl- The photo may be awhile, I took the photo this morning but while trying to copy it to Photobucket the computer froze twice requiring restart and the program froze 3 times. After that I gave up in disgust. I am typing this on a cheapie tablet.

I hope everyone has a good day.

G'morning, I see Louis already provided a weather report for our region. Looks like we'll be getting our first measurable snowfall of the year [~8"]. I'm at home today, sick with some type of stomach bug.

toot, Cantore can afford to love thundersnow. He gets paid millions to cover nasty weather like that, and it's not his life or property that's at risk!

Corey - at least you don't have to clear snow off of all the cars like you did at the dealership job!

Dave - good to see you back here. I wasn't too surprised when you dissappeared shortly after announcing the birth of your son. That's a major life change! Great to see your boy showing interest in trains, hopefully he'll have it at least until he reaches the age of fast cars and girls!

I've been inactive with mrr for the past week or so, mainly because of Seasonal Affect Disorder and tax anxiety.

That may sound absurd, but starting in 2009 when MOH went back to work full-time to cover our kids' education costs, we got bumped into a much-higher tax bracket [also losing a number of deductions for that same reason] and always seem to owe the IRS a few thousand more. We've generally been able to offset that by State tax refunds and dipping into savings. But this year we don't have that cash cushion because of a few emergency expenses and MOH taking a lot more days off than usual. So every time I got a tax-related email (that my online W-2 was available, spam from TurboTax, etc.) I'd break out in a cold sweat. The '1040' ritual was hanging like dark cloud on my horizon.

Luckily, things were different this year: We were only short a few hundred. Looks like my having a little extra $ withheld from each paycheck did the trick. {The increased withholding didn't start until April 2014, otherwise we would have got a refund.} I wasn't able to withhold more in previous years because of all the college tuition costs, but our son graduated last May so that's one burden lifted!

Perhaps now, I can get back to work on my layout...

Back