Running Bear's Coffee Shop XLVII

I was doing a bit of research on the history of early Steam Hoists and found that the American Manufacturing Co. of St. Paul, Minnesota, in 1889 turned out their first steam hoist. I'm not sure of the size or weight it would lift but possibly it was a 120 ton Steam Hoist?

Here's the link to the article: http://utahrails.net/up/locomotive-cranes.php#heading_toc_j_3

Last edited by a moderator:
Good morning gang...hope that everyone's doing well.

BUNN_COFFEE.png

Good Morning!

Snow showers with temps dropping from a morning high of 16.

BLUECOFFEEMAN.png

Tipton.gif

Temperature in TIPTON IN

Good morning everybody!

17 with clear skies in southeast Baltimore.

Have a blessed Ash Wednesday everybody.

Good morning. It is mostly clear and 20.
My out for delivery package has been changed to "status not updated".

Good Morning Group: 6° and sunny this morning, going to 31, before it gets colder again. Thank you for the reminder Louis, Blessed Ash Wednesday to you also.

Our forecast is for a cyclone to form from a tropical low by tomorrow and cross the coast up around Bundaberg, then track it's way down to Brisbane along the coast and hinterland. Category 1 maybe 2, so not a biggee, but anything up to 16" of rain in places. Hope it doesn't decide to do that on me, otherwise I'll be swimming. Was quite windy with heavy showers today, but has dropped off at the moment. The calm before????

20 and partly cloudy here. High 36 with high winds today they say.

Dang Terry, you're having a tough time with that aren't you? :(

Well my coupler height gauge and shims showed up yesterday evening. I only did a few cars to see what I was going to be in for. Tedious. Just like I thought.
Before that stuff showed up I was testing one new engine that likes to come loose constantly. Sure enough, same place every time. I pulled up a chair and sat watched it do it a couple of times. Looked like a dip in the track. I could see anything really. The roadbed and track is down real well. I pulled out my 4' level and laid it down on the track (power off of course). Perfectly level but there was indeed a gap in the middle. I stuff a little shim between the deck and the frame and now it's dam flat. That problem spot is now fixed!

Stay warm out there!
E.

Good Morning,

It is 20 below here this morning, and we got another dusting of snow last night. Our bird feeder has all of a sudden become very popular, I think all the retirees are migrating south and we are left to feed their birds!!

MILW113 ... Interesting list of historical dates. I saw the USRA took over the railroads in January 1918 for WWI. One of the results which followed was standardized equipment such as the USRA steam locomotive types.

Say Garry, I'm not sure I understand when you say, 'for shipments of cattle to originate'?

Also, are you scratch building the stock pens or is this from a kit? Walthers had a very nice kit but possibly a little pricy?
Even Lifelike's kit with a little painting makes into decent looking stock pens and the price is right.. I have to add some to my layout down the road a bit too.

Say Corey & Garry, God Bless both of you for helping the individuals out, you've both had your hands full alright!

David .... The origin stock yard is where the cattle are loaded into the stock cars. I already have a destination stock yard at the packing house at the other end of the layout, and it has capacity for four stock cars. The origin stock yard is the one I am building now, and it also will have capacity for four stock cars. The new stock yard will be on the layout extension under construction. Eventually, I will haul cattle in four-car blocks from origin to destination which will be in trains hauling other freight cars. .... The current project is combining two Walthers stock yard kits. Walthers did omit one part in each kit, but it is not hard to fabricate the part.

Could that have been because they did not have a stone foundation like they did on the other side? I am no engineer, but that job looks like a "hurry up and get done" job.

From my experience when you hurry up you f up.

The more I look at it the more it appears to be a hurry up job. If the footing was bad in one spot, 2 or 3 feet would not make much of a difference. Granted, the lack of concrete abutment may be a reason.

Or possibly they split or broke some of the pilings while pounding them in. Some of the other structures have a willy nilly appearance to them. I guess we won't know for sure without talking to those that built it.

It is quite possible they were planning a more permanent structure but had to get something in right away as a temporary fix.

Question is though, who'll be first here to build it in scale? ;):D

Question is though, who'll be first here to build it in scale? ;):D

You should rename these "history blurbs" to "receivership reports". Seems like every one of these I read the word "receivership" and/or "bankruptcy" appears at minimum twice.

Montanan- In case you're homesick, the temp tonight will dip to mid 30's and tomorrow night near or below freezing. Don't fret, Sunday , race day should be near or at 80. Welcome to mid Fla. winter.
Flip

Just got back from Orlando visiting old friends from when I was on the Highway Patrol. Also got to visit the hobby shop Curt mentioned. It was a rather cool day for the locals down here. I did have to laugh a bit. Donit know what they're going to do tonight and tomorrow. Like flip said, mid 30's tonight and tomorrow is only supposed to get into the high 40's. Guess they'll get over it. I did mention to a few that they could ne in the northeast and all I got was a dirty look. Talked to my wife at home and she said it was almost 60 back in Montana.

I'll have to check through the posts and see what went on today and then maybe another trip to Hooters. Ed, your wings and beer tasted great. We don't have a Hooters near us at home. This one is convenient only being a couple of blocks away.

Good afternoon all,
Another beautiful day here in the Central Calif. foothills. Supposed to get up in the 70*

David .... The origin stock yard is where the cattle are loaded into the stock cars. I already have a destination stock yard at the packing house at the other end of the layout, and it has capacity for four stock cars. The origin stock yard is the one I am building now, and it also will have capacity for four stock cars. The new stock yard will be on the layout extension under construction. Eventually, I will haul cattle in four-car blocks from origin to destination which will be in trains hauling other freight cars. .... The current project is combining two Walthers stock yard kits. Walthers did omit one part in each kit, but it is not hard to fabricate the part.

Garry, now I understand what you were saying, as though the cattle were being loaded at the ranches where the younger cattles grew from a year or two before and then being loaded and shipped back to the stock pens and on to the slaughter house.

I'm going to have to set up a similar operation on my layout as live stock production an transportation are already figured in too. Don't forget to possibly have a ranch or two along the way with a small pen and loading shoot for some young cows to be taken to the fattening pens before shipping them off to the slaughter house. Your much further along than I am.

I'll have to take a look at what Walthers offers and see if possibly I don't have it available through my supplier as I don't think Walthers actually has stuff manufactured for them? What part was left out of the kit you got from them? Also is it wood or plastic?

Good evening. I received my item from my Ebay purchase, as well as my BLI engine. Now I can charge my cell phone... The engine is doing what it is supposed to, so far. Waiting for tomorrow for my MB Klein purchase to roll in.

Good evening. 20*F with a 14mph WNW wind here in the "Free" State. Balmy compared to what it's predicted to be early Friday morning: -5. Hopefully my truck has sufficient antifreeze in it.

Louis, happy Ash Wednesday to you too! I can still see a trace of the ashes on my forehead from this morning.

Terry - glad your ebay item finally arrived.

Chet - looks like the Montana air decided to follow you down to FL!

I had a bit of an adventure this evening, MOH had a glass of water sitting beside my laptop, I didn't notice it was there and...well you can see where this is going!:rolleyes: I had the laptop sitting up on a stack of old books so no water would get underneath, but some still did splash onto the keyboard. My son showed me a new trick for this type of accident: covered the keyboard with dry white rice kernals to absorb all the remaining moisture. Not sure if that made any difference, but as of this moment (90 minutes later) everything still appears to be working, including all the keys on my keyboard. In a worst case scenario, I have accidental damage coverage on it. We'll see...

Good evening.

Ken .... I've heard of the rice trick before but it was for cell phones that got into water.

David ... The stock pens I am building will have a rural scene as the backdrop on the wall behind the layout. Cattle will be trucked to the stock pen, but I won't do much more..... Model railroading is fun, but there is never enough space, never enough time, and never enough money. ... Oh well.

Montanan ... Your photo was of a different kind of track.

On Monday we had 12" of snow, and early this morning we had another 3" of snow. The winds are making drifts. The Highway Department does not have enough equipment to clear the roads quickly because we normally do not have this much snow. .... All the businesses and banks in town have been closed so far this week. .... USPS has suspended service in this area all week so far. The mail trucks between the local post office and the distribution center in Nashville are not operating yet. Nashville had ice before it had snow. .... I have not left the house so far this week although my truck could get me to town if I wanted to go look at closed stores. .... Temperatures are forecasted to go below zero here which is very unusual. ... Gives me time to work on the layout.

Good morning dear friends...
Almost weekend, but doing a wee Sunday shift, as it is a stock take on Friday...

Have a nice day everybody!

Back