Coffe shop XXXIV - 9/10/12

I've just got the latest (to my local magazine shop) issue of Kalmbach's TRAINS Mag.

I've always wondered why, with all the colors that are available to paint locos, why NS chose nondescript black. Now I see why, with 20 fallen flag schemes to deal with, it was the only color left that wouldn't tread on someone's toes :confused::rolleyes::eek: Now I mght be tempted to include a couple. And they call UP the "Ultimate Predator".

The reason I've quoted myself here is because I want to draw attention to something that appears on page 11 of that magazine under the heading of "Why the Southern heritage unit has a 'K' ", referring to this letter being added to the unit's 8099 number as a coding system to identify it positively in the computer system. If anyones got this mag, have a look, see if you can work it out.

The guy that invented this coding went on to become assistant vice president for management information systems (I wonder if he also worked out a code that allowed such a title to be written on his office door).

Here is the method of deciding what letter a unit # should have for those that don't have the mag.

The check code system features 10 letters and works like this: Take the first #, double the 2nd and 4th #'s; if the 2nd and 4th #'s doubled are 2 digits,add those #'s together, i.e (9+9=18, make it 1+8=9). Then add the sums from 1+4 (with the doubled 2nd and 4th digits). Finally, pick the next break point # by tens (10,20,30,40) and take the difference. For 8099 that's 8+0+9=17. Double the lst 9 for 18, but because it is 2 digits, add them to get 9, and add everthing together for a sum of 26. The next break point is 30, so the difference is 4. The corresponding #'s and letters were as follows: 0=A, 1=F, 2=H, 3=J, 4=K, 5=L, 6=R, 7=T, 8=W, 9=X. So for 8099, the correct letter is 'K'.

Easy eh! :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:
Time for me to call it a night. Fixed the trucks on a Gramps tank car but no other layout related work. See y'all tomorrow.

DSCN0775-1.jpg

William,

I expect to see pictures posted by Sunday night. If you stay off NS property, you should have any problems with the NS police.

Drive carefully as there will be a lot of "nuts" out chasing the train and driving like complete idiots!

Glenn

Good Morning...

Good Morning! from Tipton IN.

Today is Saturday, September 15, 2012.

coffee-pouring111.png

FtWayneWabashYardsStation.png

Former Wabash RR yards and station, Fort Wayne IN

:cool:

Tipton.gif

TIPTON IN

Good morning. It's 69°. Humidity is 100% and there's a small chance of rain. It'll be mostly cloudy with a high of 88°.
cond20-1.jpg

Nothing planned for today except staying off my feet as much as possible. May run the F unit Frankenstein trio.

DSCN0025.jpg

Good Morning

We are getting a mix of sun and cloud today...high of 66F forecast for this afternoon...right now current temperature is 50F....we had a fair bit of rain out of the last batch.... a .75 inch fall...

Having some friends over this afternoon for an operating session to see if my yard ideas are actually going to work this time...they [curse mode] BEEEEEP!!![/curse mode] better:mad:......otherwise a 'minor' little fix will do the job....:mad:

The guy that invented this coding went on to become assistant vice president for management information systems (I wonder if he also worked out a code that allowed such a title to be written on his office door).

Here is the method of deciding what letter a unit # should have for those that don't have the mag.

The check code system features 10 letters and works like this: Take the first #, double the 2nd and 4th #'s; if the 2nd and 4th #'s doubled are 2 digits,add those #'s together, i.e (9+9=18, make it 1+8=9). Then add the sums from 1+4 (with the doubled 2nd and 4th digits). Finally, pick the next break point # by tens (10,20,30,40) and take the difference. For 8099 that's 8+0+9=17. Double the lst 9 for 18, but because it is 2 digits, add them to get 9, and add everthing together for a sum of 26. The next break point is 30, so the difference is 4. The corresponding #'s and letters were as follows: 0=A, 1=F, 2=H, 3=J, 4=K, 5=L, 6=R, 7=T, 8=W, 9=X. So for 8099, the correct letter is 'K'.

Easy eh! :rolleyes::rolleyes:
Nuttin to it!
His parents still paying off his student loans and this is what he accomplished. I'm impressed...Danged College Boys!:D

Nuttin to it!
His parents still paying off his student loans and this is what he accomplished. I'm impressed...Danged College Boys!:D

I reckon this guy has cracked the secret to promotion. Come up with something that only you can understand and they've got to give you a raise, because if you ever left, they'd be right in the @&%!:p Guaranteed job security.

Time for me to call it a night. Yeah it's a bit early but I've been really PO'd this evening and I don't want to tie anyone in a knot. I figure the best thing is to shut down and go to bed. The reason for all this is that I was trying to get my mothers power chair to take a charge and it won't. I did everything by the book several times. Checked the battery connections ana went over all the wire connections seven ways from Sunday. We get a red power light on the charger but no charge light. My father was in the next room reading the manual and telling me what it said. I was going over it for the tenth time and I was beyond extremely annoyed. He knew from hard experience he'd be better off staying in the other room until I cooled down a bit. I have a really short temper and when it snaps it goes all at once and my anger lashes out in every direction seeking a target. Trust me, you don't want to be there. My anger is something to behold at the best of times and well worth avoiding at the worst of times. I've tried all kinds of therapies, all kinds of anger management courses and routines, tranquilizers, nothing has worked. This isn't a recent thing either. I've been like this all my life. I'm agreeable enough most of the time but when I get mad it's best to just step back and avoid the fireworks. Hence my shutting down early. Tomorrow I'll go down and put a meter on the charger and see if it's putting out anything. If it tests good the techs are getting called to work on the chair. If it isn't good the techs are getting called to replace the charger. Enough about that. See y'all tomorrow.

P3250089.jpg

Good Morning...

Good Morning! from Tipton IN.

Sunday, September 16, 2012

coffee-pouring111.png

NKP_EBTrainFTW.png

East bound NKP, Downtown, Fort Wayne IN

:cool:

Tipton.gif

TIPTON IN

Good morning folks.

I haven't been in for a while since I've been all consumed with work. I haven't even looked at the layout for over a month! When I get home, I just sit in front of the idiot tube and veg out. Today is my first day off since Labor day and my next day off is the 30th so I have much to do today. The car needs a good waxing before winter and the carpets need shampooing in the house. I think I'll run the trains in circles while I clean. That should qualify as quality hobby time!;)

I hope everyone is doing well. Just thought I'd pop in and say hello.:)

Good Morning

Weather here is sunny with a few cloudy periods...high near 72F.

Have to go after the garden a bit this afternoon...maybe get a bit of hobby time in later...

Yesterday went off without a hitch...no issues to speak of...well, maybe excepting that I did not have enough waybills....d'uh....:eek::rolleyes:

Cory Nice to see you!!

Mornin gang!
Hey Corey, I feel your pain! My co-worker took the 1st 10 days of the month off, came back for a few, and now is off on vacation #2!!:eek: I wont get any rest till next weekend, I've got a week of 14 hour days ahead.....He gets back, I'm taking a few days !!!

Meanwhile, back at the ranch, when we woke up this morning the cats were on the bed. her cat on my feet and my cat on hers. Why cant they keep this straight? :confused::confused::confused:
It's a silly question I know,,,kinda like why do we drive on parkways, yet park on driveways??
Sorry guys
But peach pie and coffee for breakfast gets my mind running!!:eek:
Guess I'll go see if the grass is dry enough to cut, so I can be inside at 1 oclock for Ravens football and Nascar at the same time!! (Thank God for picture in a picture!):rolleyes:

Good morning. It's 71° with 100% humidity. There's a fair chance of rain. It'll be mostly cloudy with a high of 88°.
cond50-1.jpg

Only thing on today's schedule is to check the charger and batteries on my mothers power chair with my digital meter. I specify digital because I also have an analog meter. Other than that nothing else is planned. I may get some layout work in later.

Here's a link to a short video of my GP7's and GP35 pulling a string of twenty-seven cars.

DSCN2689.jpg

William,

I expect to see pictures posted by Sunday night. If you stay off NS property, you should have any problems with the NS police.

Drive carefully as there will be a lot of "nuts" out chasing the train and driving like complete idiots!

Glenn

Already Done Glenn. Let me tell you,that Locomotive is SWEEET!!!:cool:. And not only that,that 2-8-0 can really hustle. :eek:. That engine past me down at SMI Steel in Woodlawn,and thing was moving FAST!.William. Also,no trouble with NS police. Reason for that,I didn't do anything stupid,just stayed back at safe distance.

Good Afternoon...

Had some fun this afternoon...we got some new plants in to fill in some holes left by some rather overly enthusiastic mole/vole/whatsit last night..:eek:

Well I tested the charger and batteries on my mothers power chair. The front battery showed 5.5 volts and the rear battery showed 1.2 volts. The charger in stand-alone showed zero and hooked up to the chair it showed zero and there was no change in the status of the batteries. Based on that alone I'd say the charger is kaput. I reported these results to my father and he'll be contacting the company that handles the chair about it. Needless to say my mother isn't a happy camper. She was looking forward to zipping around the nursing home in her Jazzy chair (planning her escape more likely she is) and here it doesn't have enough power to get out of the house to say nothing of getting it in the back of my fathers pickup. Looks like that's not happening anytime soon.

Jeffrey,
Just a thought on the charger. Does it automatically kick on or do you manually turn it on? On some of the automatic ones if they dont sense enough voltage they wont kick on automatically. In that case you need to use a manual charger to get the voltage up a bit. At least thats the way some forklift battery chargers work.

Back