Coffee Shop XXVII

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Gang!
Was in the low 90's here today and a bit humid. Not too bad as long as you were out of the sun, but out on the blacktop parking lot it was a killer. My new ride has an outside temp display in the overhead console, read 91 degrees all the way home at 6 pm. Thank goodness the ac works!!:D More of the same for tomorrow.:rolleyes:

I've been wrestling of late with my status in the local train club. Mind you, I've been President, Vice President, and Secretary at times over the last 20 years, and I've seen it shrink from 30 members when I joined, down to 12 members, now back up to 40+ members. We went from a club with a "permanent layout" to a totally modular club in that time. Our layout used to have a theme, and a dedicated purpose that drove our members in a pre-ordained direction. But that is no longer the case. Focus has been lost, and the only ones that seem to miss it are the original 12 left when we went modular. I've also grown tired of all the work I do to bring 32 feet of this layout to bear at our deployments. Hauling modules out of my basement, loading the trailer, and tweaking my work schedule to ensure that I am there on time. Not to mention the inverse when shows are over. Meanwhile over half the members don't go through the same. Yes , many are there to help set up and take down at the location of a deployment. They are a great help, but then there are others that just show up with a box of trains and expect to hold the mainline all weekend. Worse yet, some are running trains that do not fit our time period or region to look correct with the modules. Traffic issues on the main, traffic issues in the yards (we even had to appoint a yard master) power issues from too many people running too many engines (50 cars being pulled by 6 sound equipped locos/ thats just hogging the main.), Simply put, it's not any fun any more.:(
As a test, I have not been to any meetings, read any club related emails, or even talked to any other club members in over a month. With the exception of 3 or 4 guys, I havn't missed any of them at all!:D
So, before I pull the trigger on this, disassemble the modules and sell the trailer, I'll ask . Am I asking too much of a club situation? :confused: I'm really starting to like the "lone wolf' plan, especially since I have my own basement now!

I'm jealous. I'd love some cool damp weather. It's going to be 99 here tomorrow. By August, I'll be a puddle on the floor when the days are routinely 115+.

That's OK..we'll be doing the bake thing come the weekend:rolleyes:..we tend to get upwards of about 3 days with temperatures around 100F but with the humidity the way it is around here...85%+ during those days it definitely will feel more like 115F on those days!!:eek:

Karl: I used to be with a club here but had recently taken the 'lone wolf' idea to heart myself...the only group I hang around with anymore are the buds who show up for operating sessions here or at Eric's place....

I can relate.....

I'm an admin on a photography forum. When I joined 8 years ago, I was member #10,859. Over the next couple years I became a moderator, then an admin. I was probably putting 4-5 hours a day just on forum business. For a long time, there were only 2 moderators plus the forum owner, but in time we recruited a larger crew, and now have around a dozen moderators. Also, in that period of time, we've grown to over 300,000 members, and it's just not fun any more.

I unofficially retired a year or so ago, and find two important things:
1. I don't miss it
2. They don't miss me

It was the unloading of that burden that actually made it possible to get back into trains. I'm a much happier camper these days, and you will be, too.

I'd let go of it. Its supposed to be fun.

I'm jealous. I'd love some cool damp weather. It's going to be 99 here tomorrow. By August, I'll be a puddle on the floor when the days are routinely 115+.

How about a 98* with 80-90% humidity?? I'll take hot DRY air any day of the week! Just hate to have to carry a box cutter to cut the air to breath!:rolleyes:

How about a 98* with 80-90% humidity?? I'll take hot DRY air any day of the week! Just hate to have to carry a box cutter to cut the air to breath!:rolleyes:

True. We occasionally get some slightly humid weather when the prevailing winds come in from the south, but still nothing like what you experience. Even the hottest days in August/September when we routinely see 115-120 are generally bearable. The electric bills are staggering, but life is full of tradeoffs.

Just playing around tonight, I took this shot of my MTH SD70ACe climbing the helix on my layout. I'm going to try this again someday, but I'll take my time. This was done in a hurry.

135048926.jpg

Good morning all from Ye Olde London Towne.
Finally some rain here after weeks of cool & dry. Another day of remote working so I can time shift and finish by 3. Long weekend here as well. With luck I'll be able to spend most of it in the train shed.

Karl: I've been through the same situation before. For what its worth, I've found the ideal 'club' is where you have no more than dozen or so people that can gel together and have fun. Once it grows past that you start to see these strange characters:

The amateur politican, delights in the politics of the club rather than the real purpose
The bureaucrat, spends more time making up and applying rules to things than playing trains
The chatterbox, spends meetings sitting with a coffee talking the hind legs of any nearby donkey
The parasite, does nothing, contributes nothing, but is the first to complain
The roadhog, part parasite, believes he has priority over everyone else

As a suggestion, why not get together with the 3 or 4 members you are still in contact with and look at doing your own "un-club". That way you still get the benefit of the social aspects of club membership, without the baggage. I know a number of people that have split away from clubs in the past to reform as casual groups. The common name for them are sippin' & switchin' societies. I hang out with a gang of 8ish that work together on each other's layouts as well as operate during exhibitions. (combined they have 32 bookings over the next 18 months)

Tom: Interesting shot there...like the way that was done.

Good Morning...

Another wet, cool morning that is also foggy and drizzly...:rolleyes: going for a high of 60F today...then we will shoot up to 85F by Monday....

Anyways..have to pick up the paycheck today then get some stuff picked up for work on the weekend..going to be a busy weekend by the looks of things as well :rolleyes:

Good morning all from Ye Olde London Towne.
Finally some rain here after weeks of cool & dry. Another day of remote working so I can time shift and finish by 3. Long weekend here as well. With luck I'll be able to spend most of it in the train shed.

Karl: I've been through the same situation before. For what its worth, I've found the ideal 'club' is where you have no more than dozen or so people that can gel together and have fun. Once it grows past that you start to see these strange characters:

The amateur politican, delights in the politics of the club rather than the real purpose
The bureaucrat, spends more time making up and applying rules to things than playing trains
The chatterbox, spends meetings sitting with a coffee talking the hind legs of any nearby donkey

As a suggestion, why not get together with the 3 or 4 members you are still in contact with and look at doing your own "un-club". That way you still get the benefit of the social aspects of club membership, without the baggage. I know a number of people that have split away from clubs in the past to reform as casual groups. The common name for them are sippin' & switchin' societies. I hang out with a gang of 8ish that work together on each other's layouts as well as operate during exhibitions. (combined they have 32 bookings over the next 18 months)
Very well said and I couldn't agree more! ;):)

Hi Rex, Tom and Patrick
Rex
Hows your day been sir, hope it's been a good one. Not much happening here just getting ready for a day out in Carlisle with a bird charity that helps and rescues unwanted and unloved parrots. I'm helping at a gala and hopefully we can raise some money to help pay vets bills and so on. I'm hoping to foster a congo african grey parrot thats currently in a safehouse recuperating from it's past owners lack of attention.

Trains to Parrots, it's a natural progression ;)

Or have i become derailed, must be all the bull manure i have been fed by our leaders

Good afternoon. It's 85° and sunny. The high will be 89° and sunny.

Today started off OK. Yesterdays weather report had said today was going to be cloudy and rainy. It couldn't be farther off the mark. Sunny and not a cloud in the sky. Guess the rain was needed elsewhere. Very nearly had a disaster this morning. Blood sugar tested out at 108 - before morning meds. Took my meds but didn't have time to get something to eat as my father called needing me to go with him to pick his car up at the shop. We started off in his pickup but didn't even get halfway to town before it started cutting out, so he limped it back to the house and we took my mother's Marquis. It's not like she's going to need it. Her doctor has absolutely forbidden her to drive until further notice. Anyway we got into town. Went by a small engine repair shop and picked up his weed-eater. We stopped at a convenience store where I got a Dr Pepper and a small bag of chips, thinking that should tide me over until I could get something more substantial. We then proceeded on to the auto shop. We picked up his car which he then drove off to Wal-Mart to do the shopping. I drove the Marquis back to my parents place and put the keys back in their place. My mother and her housekeeper were in the kitchen so I went in to talk with my mother. It was then that the effect of the meds caught up with me and I very nearly passed out. Well, the housekeeper is a diabetic so she knew exactly what to do. After two slices of bread with some butter I felt better then she fixed me a proper breakfast. I feel great now. The next time my father needs me to help him with something fast he'll just have to wait until I'm ready.

I tend to agree Andrew, along with the rest of you that have chimed in. We have an informal subgroup in the club, comprised of a half dozen "veterens" and 1 ever exhuberant newb...we do informal run sessions at 1 guys house, and critique plans that 3 of the rest of us have for new home layouts. Help in contruction of a new layout is always being offered, and since my plan are the closest to fruition, I think I'll take them up on it. That way we will eventually have 2 layouts to run on. This group has none of the aforementioned animals.....at least until a tray of brownies comes out!:D

Anybody wanna buy a 4x8 enclosed trailer???:eek:

Well I was out with my mother and sister this evening for dinner at Los Maya's, one of the local Mexican places. My sister had a chicken casadia while my mother and I split an order of fajita nachos. I don't see how one person could have finished it. That was a BIG meal! Sure took care of my hungry spot. Nothing done on the layout today. I was too busy going here to do this and going there to do that.

Well I was out with my mother and sister this evening for dinner at Los Maya's, one of the local Mexican places. My sister had a chicken casadia while my mother and I split an order of fajita nachos. I don't see how one person could have finished it. That was a BIG meal! Sure took care of my hungry spot. Nothing done on the layout today. I was too busy going here to do this and going there to do that.

We live less than 100 miles from the Mexican border, and better than half our local population is Hispanic. We have a wealth of really wonderful Mexican restaurants around here, and I would be happy eating in them 3 times a day for the rest of my life. I actually think I might have been a Mexican in an earlier life, I love the food that much.

I have an assortment of hot sauces in the fridge. I'm happiest after a meal when I'm sweating and my lips are numb.

I love, love, love, Mexican food.........

.......almost as much as Chinese food. That's another subject, though. I've never had fajita nachos, but the sound really good!!!!

Sounds good, Jeffrey.

We live less than 100 miles from the Mexican border, and better than half our local population is Hispanic. We have a wealth of really wonderful Mexican restaurants around here, and I would be happy eating in them 3 times a day for the rest of my life. I actually think I might have been a Mexican in an earlier life, I love the food that much.

I have an assortment of hot sauces in the fridge. I'm happiest after a meal when I'm sweating and my lips are numb.

I love, love, love, Mexican food.........

.......almost as much as Chinese food. That's another subject, though. I've never had fajita nachos, but the sound really good!!!!

Sounds good, Jeffrey.

I thought California was Mexico and the Chinese were trying to take it from the Mexicans by invading by mass numbers!LOLs The Cubans and Portoricans Own Florida. Tampa and Miami are little havana! The Mexicans don't stand a chance! Fighting words down here is.."call a Mexican, Cuban or Vise Versa and your in a scrap!:eek:

I tend to agree Andrew, along with the rest of you that have chimed in. We have an informal subgroup in the club, comprised of a half dozen "veterens" and 1 ever exhuberant newb...we do informal run sessions at 1 guys house, and critique plans that 3 of the rest of us have for new home layouts. Help in contruction of a new layout is always being offered, and since my plan are the closest to fruition, I think I'll take them up on it. That way we will eventually have 2 layouts to run on. This group has none of the aforementioned animals.....at least until a tray of brownies comes out!:D

Anybody wanna buy a 4x8 enclosed trailer???:eek:

I'm in a club with one member aND,,,,"I Can't stand him!":mad: He thinks he's always right, does what he wants when ever he wants. Makes me clean up his messes and say Dumber @#$% than my Rice Crispies!:mad: Some times I think I should just get rid of him and just keep the rice crispies as a club member....:confused:

Chris, Bill, Tom Hello

We had Mexicans over for work experience a couple of years ago and our staff canteen did them mexican meals every day,,, or so they thought, the poor Mexicans said they would sooner eat crap off the floor than the rubbish we served them up, i have to admit it was pretty nasty tasting stuff. I like a good Mexican now and again but prefer a good ole Indian curry any day

Chicken Tikka Jalfrezi for one Flo, side pilau rice and nan bread

Been a quiet week at work only one job but it was a nasty one, the kind nobody should ever get.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back