Coffee Shop XXV

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good Morning all,
Carey, are you in N or Ho, that will have some bearing of the kind of track cleaning equipment available. I use a couple of HO Roundhouse old powered Box Cab diesels to clean my track and have been pleased with the job they do and I get to operate the railroad at the same time. They move fairly slow so it does take a while but that's half the fun.

As far as Jim goes I know Rex and he kept in pretty close touch so Rex might know what's going on with him? Hey Rex, any info to pass on?

Hope every one has a great day.

Hi guys! I believe that I still have his phone number; been meaning to call him. Like everything else, it got covered up in my mind with other things. Let me go check and I will get back soon as I find out something. :)

Hi guys! I believe that I still have his phone number; been meaning to call him. Like everything else, it got covered up in my mind with other things. Let me go check and I will get back soon as I find out something. :)

Let us know if you talk with him Rex. I was thinking about Jim the other day when I drove past Prattville on my way to Montgomery...

Ok fellows, I talked with Jim and he is now doing well, but:

Jim was hit head-on by a drunk driver doing 65mph and him 50, back in June (he thinks) and severely injured. He was in a coma for a month and the hospital for 2 months. He suffered many broken bones and severe head trauma. He is still having to re-learn many things as his memory continues to return. Heck, he had to think about who I was for a minute, just to remember. He does remember the forum and you but the names are still foggy. He would write, but it is still difficult to remember typing and all the buttons to click. Take note that he is getting around OK, in good spirits, and is beginning to remember many things (although he said he forgot how to turn on the layout :D). (Now, this is an improvement since when he returned from the hospital, he looked at the layout and said, "Wow, this is really cool. I wonder who built it.". :D)

I don't know if he will be able to answer, but I'm certain he would appreciate any emails to cheer him through. I know you will join me in wishing Jim a complete and speedy recovery.:):)

Last edited by a moderator:
[I wrote this at the same time as Rex was posting the above post and before I read it, so hence it a before thought.]

Thanks Rex, I was a bit curious too as I didn't see any posts by him so wasn't sure what to think?

Needless to say I haven't been on the forum in awhile so I lost tract of what's been or hasn't been happening.

Time changes all things.

Last edited by a moderator:
I had to read that a couple times before it set in.

Thoughts and prayers are with you Jim, hope you get better soon and look forward to seeing your posts again.

Didnt one of his daughters have a similar thing occur to her just before Jim went missing? Thats really wierd, a terrible coincidence.

Thanks for checking Rex, it just goes to show we never know what may happen from day to day while driving?

Jim, if you read this glad your home an on the road to recovery. Enjoy your newly discovered Model railroad, just look at all the detail put into doing the different roads you put down with the cracked cement and tar patches and all.

Now, as far as Jim's condition, I know from having been in a coma for two weeks myself back in '65 it's going to take some time for him to get back to function as he did before and the brain does take some time get everything sorted out and recall things even that were common place prior.

The main thing is that Jim will require a lot of rest to help his brain heal, that is the reason for the coma to begin with to allow the brain to repair itself, at least part way to support being awake. Also if your not aware the brain does renew itself every three to four months by producing new brain cells but still he will need time to get everything organized so to speak. Just think of a mail car with all the compartments full of mail that gets derailed and tips on it side scattering all all the sorted mail mixing everything up which then needs to again be resorted.

I can remember not being able to find the word for a familiar object, a drinking 'glass', I was thirsty and and wanted a drink of water and was trying to tell the folks I wanted a glass of water as I knew that's what the utensel was used for but the word glass just wasn't able to be brought forth. Talk about frustrating, it happened with other things too.

Now I just have a problem remembering where I put my money when it comes time to pay bills !! !! LoL

So we'll just have to be understanding of Jim and not expect too much from him for awhile as it will take him some time to get back to about where he was. He, I and Rex are all about the same age too.

Hope you can get your trains running Jim, that will be a heck of a lot of enjoyment and remembering for you!

Best wishes,
David
Just take one day at a time, that's all any of us can do so don't feel like your in the boat alone!

I can remember not being able to find the word for a familiar object, a drinking 'glass', I was thirsty and and wanted a drink of water and was trying to tell the folks I wanted a glass of water as I knew that's what the utensel was used for but the word glass just wasn't able to be brought forth. Talk about frustrating, it happened with other things too.
I know the feeling. I woke up in a hospital 2 days after tripping and banging my head against the front of a van (boss told me later what happened). I couldn't remember who I was, where I was or how I got there. Heck, I didn't recognize my own parents! A week later my memory started coming back in bit and pieces and in a month and a half to 2 months I had most of it back, I think. There are still things I'm still fuzzy on. All in all that was a frightening experience.

One of the most important things in driving is to have a clear mind and be alert as much as possible and always expect the Unexpected from the other driver. That's saved me numerous times.

Along with that is always take the path of least resistance as best possible and ride the open spots so you can manuver freely if necessary. Also the shoulder of the road is some times a good choice to use to avoid an accident.

Hi Jeffery,
As you noted too it is a bit of a trying time when we get a concussion, especially a severe one like you and I did. Fortunately the brain is a wonderful mechanism that somehow allows itself to repair itself and put things back in to their proper place or at least lets us remember where they are now stored.

Allows us to appreciate life a bit more after having gone through something like we did.

Take care,
David

Hi Jeffery,
As you noted too it is a bit of a trying time when we get a concussion, especially a severe one like you and I did. Fortunately the brain is a wonderful mechanism that somehow allows itself to repair itself and put things back in to their proper place or at least lets us remember where they are now stored.

Allows us to appreciate life a bit more after having gone through something like we did.
Indeed it does. Everything seems a bit different to me now. One thing though, memories of things I did several weeks ago or even yesterday are hard to remember while memories of my childhood are sharp as a tack just as if they just happened very recently.

Ok fellows, I talked with Jim and he is now doing well, but:

Jim was hit head-on by a drunk driver doing 65mph and him 50, back in June (he thinks) and severely injured. He was in a coma for a month and the hospital for 2 months. He suffered many broken bones and severe head trauma. He is still having to re-learn many things as his memory continues to return. Heck, he had to think about who I was for a minute, just to remember. He does remember the forum and you but the names are still foggy. He would write, but it is still difficult to remember typing and all the buttons to click. Take note that he is getting around OK, in good spirits, and is beginning to remember many things (although he said he forgot how to turn on the layout :D). (Now, this is an improvement since when he returned from the hospital, he looked at the layout and said, "Wow, this is really cool. I wonder who built it.". :D)

I don't know if he will be able to answer, but I'm certain he would appreciate any emails to cheer him through. I know you will join me in wishing Jim a complete and speedy recovery.:):)

Wow, just wow... :( May you have a speedy recovery Jim. Our prayers are with you.

Indeed it does. Everything seems a bit different to me now. One thing though, memories of things I did several weeks ago or even yesterday are hard to remember while memories of my childhood are sharp as a tack just as if they just happened very recently.

Jeffery,
Ya, I have about the same problem, often I'll do something that is just a normal activity, like paying a bill, and days later have to double check to ensure that I actually did pay it but that is getting better by making a conscious note of what I did at the time. This same thing almost cost me a bunch of money when a creditor from a charge card I used was attempting to have me pay a $1,750.00 bill I that they claimed they hadn't received only to find out when I checked back that by banking on line my bank had a transaction report showing that the money had indeed been paid to them quite to the contrary of what they claimed and even basically demanded I make payment on when they called.

So you have to be very careful not to accept what anyone else says as being factual if your the least bit unsure.

Also the thing that gets to be frustrating that I find happens to me all too often is that I'll lock the back porch storm door as I look out side or look at the cats which are inside the back porch and turn around and go into the house only to have to again go out and check to ensure I locked the door?!! It's gets halarious but still frustrating.

I think that's due to having too many different thoughts flowing through my mind while locking the door which takes no real conscious thought.

Does this sound something like what your experiencing? In my case it's probably just information overload with too many other thoughts being processed?

I think that's due to having too many different thoughts flowing through my mind while locking the door which takes no real conscious thought.
Heck David, your problem is like mine: just plain old age!:p:D

Also the thing that gets to be frustrating that I find happens to me all too often is that I'll lock the back porch storm door as I look out side or look at the cats which are inside the back porch and turn around and go into the house only to have to again go out and check to ensure I locked the door?!! It's gets halarious but still frustrating.
I found this happening after my accident, and in this case, I found a simple solution. I got one of those "open/locked" inside lock handles. "locked" is red, "open" is green. I can see at a glance simply by the color of the lock if I locked it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back