Recent content by Nscale

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


  1. N

    Difference Betweeen Standard and "Low Profile" Wheels on a Truck?

    I was looking at the N scale truck diagrams on Micro-Trains' website, and I noticed that for a number of their trucks, there's a standard version and a version with "low profile wheels". However, looking at the dimensions and measurements, there doesn't appear to be any difference between the...
  2. N

    Please Help a Newbie - Question about Micro-Trains Truck Conversions

    Good point. Some of my rolling stock didn't come from the factory with magnetic couplers, and I'd like to be able to add uncoupling functionality to my layout, so I'd like to convert the cars that currently don't have magnetic couplers.
  3. N

    Please Help a Newbie - Question about Micro-Trains Truck Conversions

    Hi everyone. I'd like to replace the trucks on all of my N scale rolling stock with Micro-Trains trucks. Originally I was just going to replace the couplers with MT Magne-Matic couplers, however being relatively new to the hobby, the process of assembling and attaching the couplers (and...
  4. N

    Online Retailers that Fulfill and Ship Orders Quickly?

    Well, at least one other person thinks along the same lines as I do :) I guess in past experiences with shopping online, whether it's from a large retailer or a small business, I'm accustomed to items shipping a day or so (sometimes faster) after I place the order, so waiting 3-4 days for an...
  5. N

    Online Retailers that Fulfill and Ship Orders Quickly?

    I've placed a couple of orders recently through MB Klein / modeltrainstuff.com. While their prices are great and they have a great website which shows if an item is in stock, one minor gripe I have is that it seems to take them forever and a day to ship orders. Recently, for example, I...
  6. N

    How to Choose the Correct Magnetic Couplers for my N Scale Cars?

    Hi all. I'd like to convert my N scale locomotives and rolling stock to magnetic couplers, but I'm not quite sure where to start, so I thought I'd see if anyone might be able to help. I'm not so much worried about figuring out how to physically switch out the couplers, but rather my main...
  7. N

    Question re. Coupler Compatibility Among Manufacturers

    I recently bought an assortment of rolling stock from different manufacturers for my new N scale layout. While the Bachmann, Atlas, and Walthers all play well together and couple just fine, the Kato car I bought seems to be the odd one out and won't couple with any of the other cars or my Atlas...
  8. N

    Are Digitrax, NCE, and MRC No-Sound Decoders Essentially Equal?

    I'm going to be buying a basic, no sound decoder for an Atlas GP-15 locomotive, and I've found that Digitrax, NCE, and MRC (and possibly others) manufacture a decoder for this particular train. Generally speaking, is one brand of decoder considered superior among the others, or are they all...
  9. N

    Digitrax vs. NCE USB Adapter

    I'm thinking about getting either a Digitrax or NCE DCC system, and I plan on getting the USB interface so that I can control the system from my computer using JMRI. While both Digitrax and NCE offer a USB interface, I've read that the NCE USB interface does have some limitations. Here's a...
  10. N

    Considering Digitrax, MRC, and NCE Systems...Your Preference?

    I’m looking to buy a DCC starter set, and I think I’ve narrowed it down to either a Digitrax Zephyr, MRC Prodigy Express, or NCE PowerCab. In summary, here’s what I’d like from the system. - The ability to control a relatively small N scale layout with 4-5 locomotives. - The ability to...
  11. N

    Another Question about Turnouts

    Just thought I'd see if someone might be able to answer and explain a basic question I have about turnouts. I have some N scale Kato Unitrack, and I've found that when I run an engine through a turnout in the "opposite" direction and with the switch flipped (as illustrated in the right example...
  12. N

    Please Help a Newbie - Question about Turnouts

    Hi everyone. I’m new to model railroading and recently bought an N scale train set along with some Kato Unitrack. Everything is going well, but I do have a few basic questions about incorporating turnouts into my layout. I’ve just started playing around with my new Unitrack, and at...




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top