Hi all.
I'd like to convert my N scale locomotives and rolling stock to magnetic couplers, but I'm not quite sure where to start, so I thought I'd see if anyone might be able to help. I'm not so much worried about figuring out how to physically switch out the couplers, but rather my main concern is knowing how to buy the correct couplers for my trains.
Judging from the reviews I've read, I'm probably going to go with Micro Trains Magne-Matic couplers. On their website, Micro Trains does have a nice chart with an exploded view diagram of each of their couplers, as well as conversion tables for each manufacturer. However, I couldn't find my locomotives (both Atlas Trainman GP15-1) listed on their chart for Atlas, and it doesn't look like they give all that much specific information for rolling stock. My rolling stock consists of Atlas, Bachmann, Walthers, and Kato cars, so I'm assuming there's not a "one size fits all" solution.
Anyway, any suggestions on how to determine the correct couplers for my locomotives and cars would be appreciated. Also, I've noticed that there are short, medium, and long shank couplers available, so does one tend to perform better than others? The tightest radius in my layout is 12 3/8", but I do have a fair number of #4 and #6 turnouts.
Finally, I'm sure this is mostly a matter of opinion, but is Micro Trains my best option for magnetic couplers, or are there other brands out there that I should consider? I know that Kato also makes a few different types of magnetic couplers, but I'm not sure if their couplers work with other brands or only on Kato trains.
Thanks!
I'd like to convert my N scale locomotives and rolling stock to magnetic couplers, but I'm not quite sure where to start, so I thought I'd see if anyone might be able to help. I'm not so much worried about figuring out how to physically switch out the couplers, but rather my main concern is knowing how to buy the correct couplers for my trains.
Judging from the reviews I've read, I'm probably going to go with Micro Trains Magne-Matic couplers. On their website, Micro Trains does have a nice chart with an exploded view diagram of each of their couplers, as well as conversion tables for each manufacturer. However, I couldn't find my locomotives (both Atlas Trainman GP15-1) listed on their chart for Atlas, and it doesn't look like they give all that much specific information for rolling stock. My rolling stock consists of Atlas, Bachmann, Walthers, and Kato cars, so I'm assuming there's not a "one size fits all" solution.
Anyway, any suggestions on how to determine the correct couplers for my locomotives and cars would be appreciated. Also, I've noticed that there are short, medium, and long shank couplers available, so does one tend to perform better than others? The tightest radius in my layout is 12 3/8", but I do have a fair number of #4 and #6 turnouts.
Finally, I'm sure this is mostly a matter of opinion, but is Micro Trains my best option for magnetic couplers, or are there other brands out there that I should consider? I know that Kato also makes a few different types of magnetic couplers, but I'm not sure if their couplers work with other brands or only on Kato trains.
Thanks!
