Hi everyone.
I’m new to model railroading and recently bought an N scale train set along with some Kato Unitrack. Everything is going well, but I do have a few basic questions about incorporating turnouts into my layout.
I’ve just started playing around with my new Unitrack, and at the moment it’s really basic. Right now I’m running a single locomotive with a DC power pack. The track layout is just a single oval with one turnout, and the turnout leads to a couple of lengths of straight track terminated with a bumper. I’ve found that if I have my locomotive on the diverging track, the locomotive will work if I have the turnout switched to the diverging track. However, if I switch the turnout to straight while the locomotive is on the diverging track, the locomotive will stop. In other words, it appears as though the switch is actually routing power to either the straight track or diverging track, depending on the orientation of the switch.
Is this considered normal operation for a model railroad turnout? Ideally, I’d like to keep power on both the main track and the diverging track regardless of the orientation of the turnout switch. Do most turnouts route power to both the straight and diverging track at all times, or does it usually depend on the orientation of the switch? And, if the latter is the case, then would I need to run another power feeder to the diverging portion of the track to keep it powered at all times? In the future I’d like to make a layout with multiple turnouts, but it seems like it would be a pain to have to add feeders to all lengths of diverging track.
As I mentioned earlier, I’m using Kato Unitrack, and I’m currently using a #6 turnout. While the #6 turnouts don’t have any adjustment, I’ve read that power routing can be easily configured on the #4 turnouts via screws on the bottom of the track. Does this mean that I could configure the turnout to simultaneously power the straight and diverging portions of track, regardless of how the switch is set?
In summary, I guess the main point that I’d like someone to verify is that if I want to have DC on my entire layout regardless of how a turnout or multiple turnouts are switched, I would need to either (a) add feeders to all portions of diverging track if I’m using a #6 turnout or (b) switch to using #4 turnouts which can be configured power the straight and diverging track simultaneously. I had read in a couple of different places, including on Kato’s website, that #6 turnouts are generally preferable to #4 turnouts on account of the wider radius. However, the power routing issue with the #6 turnouts might be enough for me to switch to using #4 turnouts. The prospect of having to run a feeder to diverging track every time I add a new turnout just seems like a pain.
Finally, in the future I’d like to add multiple locomotives and add DCC control to my layout. Given the way the Kato #6 turnouts handle and route DC power, I’d assume that I’d have the same issue with a DCC controlled track. In other words, I wouldn’t be able to use the #6 turnouts switch-independent unless I had feeders on the diverging track.
Thanks to anyone who’s made it this far into my post, and thanks in advance to anyone who might be able to provide some advice!
I’m new to model railroading and recently bought an N scale train set along with some Kato Unitrack. Everything is going well, but I do have a few basic questions about incorporating turnouts into my layout.
I’ve just started playing around with my new Unitrack, and at the moment it’s really basic. Right now I’m running a single locomotive with a DC power pack. The track layout is just a single oval with one turnout, and the turnout leads to a couple of lengths of straight track terminated with a bumper. I’ve found that if I have my locomotive on the diverging track, the locomotive will work if I have the turnout switched to the diverging track. However, if I switch the turnout to straight while the locomotive is on the diverging track, the locomotive will stop. In other words, it appears as though the switch is actually routing power to either the straight track or diverging track, depending on the orientation of the switch.
Is this considered normal operation for a model railroad turnout? Ideally, I’d like to keep power on both the main track and the diverging track regardless of the orientation of the turnout switch. Do most turnouts route power to both the straight and diverging track at all times, or does it usually depend on the orientation of the switch? And, if the latter is the case, then would I need to run another power feeder to the diverging portion of the track to keep it powered at all times? In the future I’d like to make a layout with multiple turnouts, but it seems like it would be a pain to have to add feeders to all lengths of diverging track.
As I mentioned earlier, I’m using Kato Unitrack, and I’m currently using a #6 turnout. While the #6 turnouts don’t have any adjustment, I’ve read that power routing can be easily configured on the #4 turnouts via screws on the bottom of the track. Does this mean that I could configure the turnout to simultaneously power the straight and diverging portions of track, regardless of how the switch is set?
In summary, I guess the main point that I’d like someone to verify is that if I want to have DC on my entire layout regardless of how a turnout or multiple turnouts are switched, I would need to either (a) add feeders to all portions of diverging track if I’m using a #6 turnout or (b) switch to using #4 turnouts which can be configured power the straight and diverging track simultaneously. I had read in a couple of different places, including on Kato’s website, that #6 turnouts are generally preferable to #4 turnouts on account of the wider radius. However, the power routing issue with the #6 turnouts might be enough for me to switch to using #4 turnouts. The prospect of having to run a feeder to diverging track every time I add a new turnout just seems like a pain.
Finally, in the future I’d like to add multiple locomotives and add DCC control to my layout. Given the way the Kato #6 turnouts handle and route DC power, I’d assume that I’d have the same issue with a DCC controlled track. In other words, I wouldn’t be able to use the #6 turnouts switch-independent unless I had feeders on the diverging track.
Thanks to anyone who’s made it this far into my post, and thanks in advance to anyone who might be able to provide some advice!
