ModelRailroadForums.com is a free
Model Railroad Discussion Forum and
photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.
I was looking at the
N scale truck diagrams on Micro-Trains' website, and I noticed that for a number of their trucks, there's a standard version and a version with "low profile wheels". However, looking at the dimensions and measurements, there doesn't appear to be any difference between the standard and "low profile" versions.
Could someone please explain the difference between a standard truck and one with "low profile" wheels?
Thanks!
Though I've not been an N scaler for many years, I believe the low profile wheels are there so the car will run on the Atlas code 55 track. The older pizza cutter wheels won't.
Look more closely at the diagrams. The low profile wheels have a smaller flange depth, as I have highlighted in the image below. As Alan said, this is to allow the wheels to run without hitting the molded spikes on Altas Code 55 and other low profile track.
- Jeff
Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website
(Learn More Here)