Question re. Coupler Compatibility Among Manufacturers

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


Nscale

New Member
I recently bought an assortment of rolling stock from different manufacturers for my new N scale layout. While the Bachmann, Atlas, and Walthers all play well together and couple just fine, the Kato car I bought seems to be the odd one out and won't couple with any of the other cars or my Atlas locomotive.

Obviously, the Kato must use a different coupler than the other manufacturers, so what's the best way to handle coupler differences like this? In time, I might want to add some Kato engines to my layout, so presumably the Kato engine wouldn't couple with rolling stock from other manufacturers. That said, what would be the best option? To make everything compatible, would I be best off changing out the couplers on all of my engines and rolling stock to one type of coupler?

Thanks!
 
I have found that Kadee works the best when mounted securely on the rolling stock. Other plastic couplers will tend to flex when pulling long trains and separate causing a disaster back at the bottom of the grade.
 
Kadee's are called MicroTrains in N scale......it's really the same family business that they split into HO and N groups. MT's are your best choice for conversions. Accumates (Atlas) and McHenries (Athearn) are OK also, but they don't have near the variety of couplers and truck assemblies that MT does. And I wouldn't change out couplers unless the originals are giving you problems.........all couplers (except Rapidos) are supposed to be compatible.......as you have found, Kato couplers seem to be LESS compatible that they should be. I've had a lot of trouble with Kato couplers as well.
 




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top