your layouts

WELL, I can't out-do Ken:eek: , but here is my very first layout photos. Hmmm! Just thinking: I wish that I had taken that danged fan down.:mad: :D

Rex what's the whiskey like?? a small nip enough??

This is what I'm planning, with a few changes here and there. under this level is the sliding staging I'm working on....

I'm too lazy to design my own:D :D

Ken.

Ken, that is going to be really nice. It has everything you need. Will it fit as is or will you have to modify?

The Whiskey is sooooo good, a whiff of it will make your toes curl and your tongue slap your eyeballs out.:D :D :D

Phillip: Thanx! It may be awhile before it can be considered "done", the trainroom (actually a 2-car garage) is the Family Warehouse, not really equipped for hosting guest operators. The blue-sky backgrounds in the larger pics are actually latex-painted Dow board.

David: I like your track plan alot, looks like you can do point-2-point and continuous loop operating. Hope to see more pix soon!

Rex - your pike is about what I could do IF I built an extension to double the size of my garage. If I live long enough maybe I'll find the time and money to do that <LOL>

NZKen - I remember that track plan, it was the 2nd-place winner of the 9x11 layout design contest in MR. I really enjoyed reading the "typical day" scenario of operation. Great choice!

I thought I'd be nice, here's a cropped picture of my layout.
View attachment 7068

All kidding aside, here's a couple track plans. The first I made about 2 years back, copying the yard from my hometown. The yard was closed to business as of the mid 70's and I was contemplating making my layout around that.
View attachment 7069

I've since moved on to Cajon, although this track plan is not near final.
View attachment 7070

And my first two modules.
View attachment 7071

:D :D This thread is turning out to be a lot of good fun!:D

Those who have been curious: I meant to point out in my post that the new room I built closes in the upper right of the plan where it says "Future Town". It is from the bottom of the doorway to the top and 8 feet out. You can see the common wall.

Phillip: I believe you have the lead in the "beginning photo" contest.:D

Josh: You going active duty again:D . You got your money's worth with that haircut. Your layout will sure be a fun one to operate.

KenL: After the kids are gone, just move into the garage and use the house for your layout...of course you will be divorced, but hey -- you can take it.:D :D

Hey Josh, you've gotta have me over when you get that up and running! You and Rex have a couple of incredible looking layouts planned!

Phillip: I believe you have the lead in the "beginning photo" contest.:D

I can go back further if you like, but there's not much to see! ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Josh: You going active duty again:D . You got your money's worth with that haircut. Your layout will sure be a fun one to operate.
Nah, its just much easier to maintain, just take the clippers to my own head once a month! No barber here!

Hey Josh, you've gotta have me over when you get that up and running! You and Rex have a couple of incredible looking layouts planned!
More then welcome, but at the rate I'm earning money, it may be a few years. I found a job that would have got me to the starting gate VERY quickly, almost a $100K a year. Haven't heard a darned thing back since.

I'm trying to find an earlier pic:p hang on!!

Ken.

This is the earliest I can go. It;s about 3 months before they poured concrete and it's taken from the other side of the lake. My house was built just to the right of the drainpipe on the far side of the lake. At this point they hadn't even paved our street yet, just bulldozed it. If you can top that, you've got me!

http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j319/pcarrell/House/OurNewHouse3-18-0600005.jpg

More then welcome, but at the rate I'm earning money, it may be a few years. I found a job that would have got me to the starting gate VERY quickly, almost a $100K a year. Haven't heard a darned thing back since.

Well lets hope that job comes through!

This is the best I can do (but we already had a road)

H1_041103.jpg

Sorry, Phillip...he gotcha! Big time!

Say, where is our young host to this thread. Oh well, let the good times roll on.;) :D

Ok this photo was taken in 1888 of the original stables built for the local farmer.........................

Nah just kidding I'm beat. I think David wins though a photo of an empty lot!!

Ken.

Lots of good light ya got! Thats something that I need to rectify in the near future... better lighting.

The house I'm in is older than I am...sooo no pics of a empty lot for me either

Hi, fellas. These threads are always enjoyable...thanks for launching it!

This is a view taken outside my basement window at night about 5 months ago. It is the best and only general overview image I have of the layout. Spaghetti Bowl, really, but it serves my purposes.

It's a journey for us all, isn't it?

-Crandell

IMG_0166resized.jpg

I've got two layouts going, but not far on either. First, the Rock Ridge and Train City. I'm at the stage of painting the backdrop, and I expect that to take several months after I get the sketch done. I'm still working on that. I can't get the perspective I want to see on it worked out.

rockridge19f.gif

traincitya001.gif

rrtc0005.gif

rrtc0007.gif

The Indiana Branch of the PRR is a little further along. The next step is to build the turnouts. I have the materials, but not the motivation to get going. It will be soon I hope. Notice the cameo appearance of Sparky and Lil Guy.

Indiana03.gif

prr0002.gif

prr0003.gif

prr0004.gif

prr0005.gif

Back