Wpf 9/25-10/1

Ken, I knew that Rexall just sort of disappeared but never knew what happened except I assumed they were killed off by the big chains. You could always have a Rexall like the one in the picture at Wikipedia, which appears to be some kind of junk shop that still has the Rexall signage.

Ray, the wife is a fisherwoman so I have to have a few people catching some fish to keep her happy. I couldn't catch a fish if you threw it at me. :)

Josh, where does the trash end up? I didn't know LA was exporting trash too. Do they load the trash containers at landfills, or what? That really is a weird looking transit mixer, with only one set of rear axles. It's also one of the cleanest I've ever seen.

Chris, we don't have none of them manicured parks like you do in in Floriduh for all those pansy tourists. You want to get to the lake in Hillside, you hike in over the rocks and brush. Just spending the money to build that dock had the city council in an uproar for months. :)

Who mows ALL the grass at hillside?:confused: I'm sure the elderly Res. of hillside don't do ther own lawns! How about the mayor, doesn't he need a landscaper?;)

Ray we have few of those large scale RR. around here! A few years back I got a Pic of a FEF-3 8444 with 10 car passenger train! Holy Crap that FEF was Huge!

Very nice work, everyone.

Jim, I used a 15W, screw in fluorescent bulb in an overhead fixture, and the new yard light I got for my birthday last week. DJ.

Another shot.

P1040076.jpg

Grampys your yard photos are the greatest but I think if you added some blue flagged derails on the servicing tracks it would greatly add to the realism of the scene. By rule the derail and flag should be in the up position when someone is working on an engine or car in the serving area.

NYC_George

Hi all, this week I actually have something to contribute! Nothing fancy, no contest-winning detail; no colorful panorama like Ray's Hopewell Junction town scenes; nothing that tells a story like Jim's fishin' hole; and nothing as dramatic as the menacing storm clouds bearing down on Grampy's Pennsy yard.

All I did was take a few (4, to be exact) Athearn bluebox 62ft tank cars and modernize them from the early 1960's to the early 1990's. This meant getting rid of the tank-hugging handrails and the walking platforms that run the full length of the cars, and replacing these with so-called "safety bars" . Bottom line: These cars will no longer look out of place on my 90's-era layout. All I need to do now is repaint them and put on some GATX decals.

Before:

BeforeConversion01a.png

AFTER:

FinishedModel01a.png

PROTO:
http://rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=1586294

Last edited by a moderator:
Looking good this week. Looks like we are in for another solid week!

A string of reefers runs over Cedar Creek.

DSCF2874.jpg

Ken, I knew that Rexall just sort of disappeared but never knew what happened except I assumed they were killed off by the big chains. You could always have a Rexall like the one in the picture at Wikipedia, which appears to be some kind of junk shop that still has the Rexall signage.

There's still a Rexall storefront in my town (Berkeley, CA) though it's no longer a drugstore, it's a grocery store/mini-mart. Like most everything else on the block it's a historic "landmark" so that regardless of who opens up shop inside the big Rexall sign above needs to stay. The orange and blue rectangle sure looks better than the boring cursive script of the Walgreens and other drugstores we've got around here now.

Link to a present day picture:
http://localecology.org/localecologist/uploaded_images/Rexall_022307-706030.jpg

There's still a Rexall storefront in my town (Berkeley, CA) though it's no longer a drugstore, it's a grocery store/mini-mart. Like most everything else on the block it's a historic "landmark" so that regardless of who opens up shop inside the big Rexall sign above needs to stay. The orange and blue rectangle sure looks better than the boring cursive script of the Walgreens and other drugstores we've got around here now.

Link to a present day picture:
http://localecology.org/localecologist/uploaded_images/Rexall_022307-706030.jpg

We still have Rexall/I.D.A. stores up this way though---

I spent a couple hours this afternoon out at the openhouse of the Finger Lakes Live Steamers. Oh to have a larger bank account.....

Big line waiting in line for a ride (at least 2 hours), but if you don't think kids still like trains take a look at the little guy riding in this photo:

Crowd01w.png

Lots of Diseasals:

FLLS20041w.png

LV4201w.png

An exhibit of small steam engines:

SmallSteam1w.png

And some real Live Steam!

BlowOff2w.png

DH1113_1w.png

TenWheeler112_2w.png

You have any other info on this place? I'de love to know more about the live diesels!

Ray and Chris, those are both outstanding large scale railroads. Not only is the variety of engines unusual but both have soem of the best graded and ballasted track I've ever seen on a non-commercial large scale railroad. That yard ladder in Florida is really impressive.

Barry, the Rexall name was bought out by a Canadian corporation and it still survives up there. No real Rexall stores left here excep stores that still have Rexall signage.

Smiley, I remember seeing Owl Drugs in Berkeley on my way to Ace Hardware to get train stuff. Are they still in business selling trains? That was a great hobby shop.

Adam, nice trestlework.

Ken, nice job on the conversion. I don't quite get the reason for it. It certainly looks less safe than the old platform and handrail. Is the idea to keep people off the sides of the car?

UP2CSX - yup, I was down at Berkeley Ace Hardware a couple weeks ago and they are still selling trains down in the basement, they've also got a bunch of other types of models such as airplanes and cars. The place looks about the same it did seven years ago when I first moved to Berkeley. Come to think about it, aside from a new copy shop, that whole side of the block is more or less the same all the way from the taiwanese restaurant to the paint store.

UP2CSX - yup, I was down at Berkeley Ace Hardware a couple weeks ago and they are still selling trains down in the basement, they've also got a bunch of other types of models such as airplanes and cars. The place looks about the same it did seven years ago when I first moved to Berkeley. Come to think about it, aside from a new copy shop, that whole side of the block is more or less the same all the way from the taiwanese restaurant to the paint store.

That sounds like a business block that someone could model----any pix of it around?:)

Smiley, glad to hear Ace still has the basement going strong. It was always a great place to poke around and find new old stock items. I can't remember the owner's name but he was a real character.

Barry, it would be a great business block to model. Check at http://local.yahoo.com/info-21509721-berkeley-ace-hardware-berkeley?tab=photos#photos for some photos of Ace Hardware. I'm sure that Smiley could get some more pictures on his next trip over there. Lots of older masonry buildings, which you don't see much in California because of the seismic hazard.

Ray and Chris, those are both outstanding large scale railroads. Not only is the variety of engines unusual but both have soem of the best graded and ballasted track I've ever seen on a non-commercial large scale railroad. That yard ladder in Florida is really impressive.

Jim that park is in the county I work..... uh, Worked for! You wouldn't believe how many times i tried to transfer there! Yes, the track work is unbelieveable! One day I'll drive over (it's 8 miles away) and snap some shots of it!

... Ken, nice job on the conversion. I don't quite get the reason for it. It certainly looks less safe than the old platform and handrail. Is the idea to keep people off the sides of the car?

Jim, funny you should ask - there was 3 pages of spirited debate in a thread across the street, about what those bars are used for and what they're "officially" called. There were as many answers as there were people arguing! One of the guys said they're known as "anti-personnel bars", they keep workers from getting up too close to the tank and being in the path of the wheels where they might get sliced in half. (IMHO, anybody who goes up that close to a moving train deserves to be weeded out of the gene pool!:rolleyes: )

Jim, funny you should ask - there was 3 pages of spirited debate in a thread across the street, about what those bars are used for and what they're "officially" called. There were as many answers as there were people arguing! One of the guys said they're known as "anti-personnel bars", they keep workers from getting up too close to the tank and being in the path of the wheels where they might get sliced in half. (IMHO, anybody who goes up that close to a moving train deserves to be weeded out of the gene pool!:rolleyes: )

Interesting I always though they were airlines for the brakes.

Back