Wpf 9/25-10/1

I guess I'll start this week, as we're taking the grandkids camping.

Quiet time in the yard. DJ.

P1040080.jpg

P1040077.jpg

Ah... The weekend already! This week sure went by fast.

Grampy, is it early morning, or dusk?? Nice, nice, nice!

Here are some more of the shots I have been taking for the certificate requirements:

Back of the buildings at Hopewell Junction.

14BusinessDist_w.png

15BusinessDist_w.png

16Bandstand_w.png

Roundhouse interior:

18RoundhouseDetail_w.png

Hope these are ones I haven't put up before.

Wpf

My layout has its first completed building. It's 1963 and most downtown corners had one. The street department has not paved the street yet, so the curb is 9 inches high! The attorneys upstairs are just waiting for an injury case.

Last edited by a moderator:
Again - beautiful work!
DJ - I keep trying different things to get the depth of field that you achieve. The craftsmanship on both the modeling and photography is superb.
RHoward - nice aging on the buildings. Which certificate are you going for?
Bob - the building is looking good. What did you use for the window signage? I've got a couple storefronts that need help. You going to pave with brick, blacktop or concrete?

Here are some shots of the scene I've been fiddling with. The fish that jumped is not quite as big as he is indicating - but it is big :eek:)

I am probably going to use black top as we in the south call it, 15lb roofing paper with appropriate chalk weathering.
As for the window dressing, I spend most of every day in front of a computer and I have too much time to hunt for Google images of stuff. I have quite a few pictures I have taken of actual windows, room interiors, etc, that I will shrink and use also. When I get the Phlop Haus Hotel finished (next door to the drug store) I will use some actual hotel room pictures.
Jon, tell me what you need (also what scale) and I will email you some.
P.S. I love the reflection in the water-very cool.

DJ, that's a nice, moody scene of the yard. Did you use extra lighting or just expose from room lighting? However you did it, came out really nice.

Ray, I don't think I've ever seen the back of Hopewell before. Nice job on those structures. It's funny, they almost look too clean until you realize that the builgins weren't that old in the era you're modeling. The roundhouse interior is outstanding. I hereby award you the unofficial NMRA Scenery certificate. :)

Bob, great job on the drugstore. The sidewalks look good too. You're right, there used to be a Rexall on every corner. I've got one in my downtown too. Whatever happened to them?

Jon, great camping scene and really interesting how you got the ripples from the jumping fish. What did you use for the water and how did you make the ripples?

Bob - Thanks for the offer, I, too, to a lot a picking of the 'net for signs, etc. I use a CAD program to size them. Just picked up some RR grade crossing street markings. Scaled them, printed and cut out stencils for marking my roads. Came out decent.

Do you make decals out of them, print on clear?? film (don't know if that is even possible). How do you get them to the window?

Jim - I used MagicWater on the pond and ModPodge for the ripples and rings.

Jon, I print them to size on thin but glossy photo paper, then I glue them in place using one layer of thin styrene around the edge as a spacer to give them some depth.

A very commendable start to WPF, everyone...wow! Spectacular. :)

In my submission, a powerful solitary Y6b shakes the surrounding hills as it blasts up the 3% grade out of Seneca Sub.

IMG_5625csharadjres.png

Such a nice layout and engine. I need to get me a nice articulated steamer.

A very commendable start to WPF, everyone...wow! Spectacular. :)

In my submission, a powerful solitary Y6b shakes the surrounding hills as it blasts up the 3% grade out of Seneca Sub.

IMG_5625csharadjres.png

I hope to have some pics up tomorrow night of progress on multiple projects. My AMD103 B units aswell as regular cab units. My NYS&W Observation car 510, NYS&W SD40T-2 that wasn't made by Athearn and hopefully my 4 bombardier coaches and cab car.

Great shot, Crandell. You can really see how an articulated engine works on that curve.

Jon, I'll to try that with some ModPodge I have on hand. Did you use something like a toothpick to apply it?

In keeping with the camping theme, here are some locals getting in a nice weekend at Lake Layla since it's still warm, especially for late September. Looks like the fishing has been good.

100_1722.jpg

The P&N feed mill run has to wait for the local to clear out the empties so there's about a half hour's downtime. Buster, the conductor, always has a fishing pole handy, so he decided to try his luck down in Layla Creek. Spike is keeping a wary eye out for the super.

100_1723.jpg

As dusk falls on Hillside, some of the local politicos are still conducting some sidewalk deals. You can see one of Hillside's more confused citizen who thinks the green light means he's supposed to cross the street. :)

100_1724.jpg

Crandell, awesome shot! That sure is a pretty "little" loco at the head of that consist....

Jim I really like the fishing scenes. I'll have to show them to my son the fisherman.

Not sure if I posted this before. Trash containers outbound from the LA basin (headed East through San Bernardino).
1024_DSC00597a.jpg

I just placed my pre-order for the ECCU trash containers from Atlas, from Josh. I just wish they'd make the shorter containers seen here. Still have to decide if I want one of the Atlas container only flats, the style they modeled are rare with ECXX reporting marks (seen there in my photo are 3 ECXX cars, none of Atlas's style).

Yesterday I spent an hour shooting trucks, trying to get photos of one of the large batch mixers. Only managed to shoot one small batch mixer, and tons of "standard" sized mixers.
miramar_sep25_01.jpg

78 new vehicle photos:
http://s138.photobucket.com/albums/q276/jbaakko/Vehicles/Trucks/

Bob - I really love that Rexall drugstore! I desperately wanted to put one of those orange-and-blue storefronts in my "business district" but, unfortunately, they were no longer around during my era [1991-95], so I had to do a RiteAid instead.

Jim - here's something that may answer your question about Rexall: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rexall

Josh: I never woulda guessed anybody was using - let alone manufacturing - 2-axle cement mixers! Guess that proves the ol' adage, "Theres a prototype for everything":D

Ken, I knew that Rexall just sort of disappeared but never knew what happened except I assumed they were killed off by the big chains. You could always have a Rexall like the one in the picture at Wikipedia, which appears to be some kind of junk shop that still has the Rexall signage.

Ray, the wife is a fisherwoman so I have to have a few people catching some fish to keep her happy. I couldn't catch a fish if you threw it at me. :)

Josh, where does the trash end up? I didn't know LA was exporting trash too. Do they load the trash containers at landfills, or what? That really is a weird looking transit mixer, with only one set of rear axles. It's also one of the cleanest I've ever seen.

Chris, we don't have none of them manicured parks like you do in in Floriduh for all those pansy tourists. You want to get to the lake in Hillside, you hike in over the rocks and brush. Just spending the money to build that dock had the city council in an uproar for months. :)

Josh, where does the trash end up? I didn't know LA was exporting trash too. Do they load the trash containers at landfills, or what? That really is a weird looking transit mixer, with only one set of rear axles. It's also one of the cleanest I've ever seen.
No clue where the trash is going, or even where it's loaded. I'll ask around.

I spent a couple hours this afternoon out at the openhouse of the Finger Lakes Live Steamers. Oh to have a larger bank account.....

Big line waiting in line for a ride (at least 2 hours), but if you don't think kids still like trains take a look at the little guy riding in this photo:

Crowd01w.png

Lots of Diseasals:

FLLS20041w.png

LV4201w.png

An exhibit of small steam engines:

SmallSteam1w.png

And some real Live Steam!

BlowOff2w.png

DH1113_1w.png

TenWheeler112_2w.png

Back