Woodland scenics has burned to the ground!

OH BUMMER!!! Glad everyone was safe, but what a blow! Hope they decide to rebuild....someplace with more water ;)

Was good to read all got out safely. No doubt this will have an impact on the hobby for quite some time. It may not directly affect their hard items like Scenic Accent figures and vehicles as those are made in China unlike the foam and other soft scenery materials that were made in their own factory. Time will tell I guess. No matter what it still is a big loss for everyone, especially those who worked there.

Woodland Scenics fire was bad news but

I don't expect a huge price spike on prices because of lack of material. There is probably plenty in the pipe line and there are competitors that will fill most of the holes. I would bet that Woodland Scenics will come back stronger than ever. If they don't there were probably some issues with the business anyhow. I visited there booth at a couple of big shows and they seemed very professional. Looks like they have a good marketing plan so I see potential of good things happening after things are cleaned up.
Wayne

That's a bummer, and me getting started on a layout rebuild. Man I'll probably be finished before they are operational again. OH! well sawdust and home ground foam is good. Isn't it?

Cheers
Willis

That's a bummer, and me getting started on a layout rebuild. Man I'll probably be finished before they are operational again. OH! well sawdust and home ground foam is good. Isn't it?

Cheers
Willis
It's not hard to make your own ground foam though getting it as fine as the WS stuff takes a bit of doing. There's a link somewhere in the HO board on my forum site that tells how to do it.

I too am glad to hear that every one is okay. I hope they rebuild and are up and running again very soon.
I too have visited their booth at a show and found their staff to be very knowlegable, friendly and professional. They were eager to listen to customer requests and suggestions. When my friends and I made requests for certain types of HO scale figures at their booth a few years ago, and watched as they took notes, we hoped our requests would not be forgotten.
As it turned out, some form of every one of our requests was released a year or two later. My friend had requested a set of carpenters with power tools to use on a house construction site, I requested an Auto Scenics set of a convertible and a car hop, and an Auto Scenics scene with a woody wagon with a family on a picnic. Later, Woodland Scenics released a set of carpenters with power tools, an Auto Scene with people on a picnic (though it wasn't with a woody wagon), and a drive in restauraunt with a convertible and car hop.
Best wishes for a speedy recovery to everyone at Woodland Scenics.

As for the people who are saying that the prices will suck for a while... consider this. Some of WS's products such as ground foam, ballast, etc can all be DIYed for less than what it costs to buy the WS product.

For example, their ballast is made from crushed walnut shells that have been tumbled in very thin paint.

The stuff such as the houses, trees, etc will go up in price not because WS would be increasing them, but the supply would be cut off for a while.

Glad everyone got out without any injuries and am hoping for a quick rebuild but for now there goes the railroad budget

That is not good news when I was planning on starting my new layout this fall after over 20 years without one. Glad that no one was hurt. I've probably driven by there a half dozen times on the way to Texas to see my boy and his wife and didn't even know it. Somewhat rough (hills and roads) country there and a very small town, population 280, according to Wikipedia. That's going to impact the area, especially the employees, worse than it will the modeling public. At least for a while. Hope they have insurance and can quickly rebuild.

Wow, what a shame. I've watched WS grow since I became aware of them in the early 80s from scenery and small metal kits to more detailed and higher quality items including DPM kits and built ups. I've also notice there expansion in craft and educational areas. I always like their products and they appeared to be forward thinking company. I hope this loss doesn't hurt them too badly.

There are several other sources for ground foam and ground cover and trees. Scenic Express has a large variety of their own offerings as well as products from other manufacturers including Woodland Scenics. I use both WS and SE and find them equal.
Other than the fact that WS products will eventually become out of stock until they get up and running again to fill orders I don't see any reason to go back to 1940's methods of grinding a 2x12 into sawdust and dying it. There is also no reason to support those who might decide to price gouge on ebay and other places. If we modelers don't create a panic there won't be one.

Seen on another forum
"Dear all,

As you may have heard we have experienced a fire here at Woodland Scenics and there is good news and bad news. The good news is that no one was hurt during the fire or evacuation process. The bad news is that it took out a couple of our manufacturing buildings. However, and fortunately, there is more good news than bad.

We encompass multiple buildings that are spread out all over the town of Linn Creek. We only lost two of those buildings and those two contained just a small portion of our manufacturing facilities. Our shipping department, warehouse and corporate offices were spared any damage, as were most of our manufacturing buildings, so it is business as usual.

Thanks for all your concerns.

Respectfully,

Gale Cousins
Director of Sales & Customer Service
Woodland Scenics"

This has to be as good a news as can be expected under the circumstances.

Glad everyone's ok. Thats most important.

Their web site was down last night when I started to read this thread. That was little troubling to me.

I bought enough of their foam roadbed today for my new layout Im planning later this winter. Just in case.

Thanks for bringing that into the forum Jeffrey. I'm happy for the entire crew over at WS and happy to hear things won't be anywhere near as bad as we might expected.

Back