What magazines do you buy?

fiend540

Train related of course:p The reason I ask is my subscription to Model Railroader is up for renewal and I think it's time to move on. I just don't find the magazine that interesting or useful enough to justify spending the money again. I figure I can always buy a single issue if it contains something I want. I like RMC better but I don't know, they too feature a lot of stuff that I have no interest in.

Right now I think the leader is Railpace Magazine. I enjoy reading about whats happening with the real railroads and it's a North East based magazine which is what I model and am mainly interested in. Just looking for some more options before I part with the money!

I use to subscribe to RMC for many many years. But, for awhile they were running the same articles as MRR mag. so I dropped them because I was still getting MRR. I knew I could go to my newstand & look at the mag to see if it had different stuff. Now that RMC is no longer on newstands I can't do that. Then I was always looking at TRP & Railfan & Trains mag at my newstand & now haven't even been able to find them anymore. So, guess I'll just stick to MRR & Model RR News.

I pick up Model Railroader, RMC, and Narrow Gauge & Short Line Gazette each month at my LHS. ( NG&SLG is published bi monthly ). Sometimes I grab a MRN if the content looks interesting and same goes for Trains. Of the bunch I find NG&SLG the most interesting even though it is largely narrow gauge and steam era focused because of the quality of the featured layouts and scratch building and kitbashing articles.

I'm also into traction but have yet to find a magazine strictly devoted to that area of the hobby. Anybody know of one?

i only get MR..i get second hand trains when my dad finishes them and mails them to me..I love reading the old pacific rail news..too bad they arnt around anymore.

I used to get Model Railroader buit stopped it since I don't have a layout yet. I now get Trains. I propably will not resubscribe to. Some of the articles are good but to me it seems mostly to techinical and over my head. I to am looking into getting Railpace.

if i pay money for a magazine i don't expect to see annoying commercial ads, at least no more then page or two. since that not going to happen, i simply don't buy paper mags. i boycott not only the MRR ones. photo, PC, car - i don't care (and i'm sure they care about it exactly as much, LOL) . useless waste of paper.

so i only read MRH - full of annoying ads but at least it is online and free

I subscribe to MR and RMC and enjoy both. Now to be fair, some issues of each are "duds" -- you can't please everybody all the time, I can personally vouch for that! :rolleyes: However, I have found that my modeling focus (or emphasis) changes from time to time. And an issue I got three years ago might not have been any big deal then, but now I'm interested in another facet of the hobby, and than old "no big deal then" issue is now exactly what I'm looking for!

I also read almost all of the ads, to keep up with what's new in the hobby. This habit is done almost exclusively with the newer issues -- when I go back to an older magazine, the ads get no more than a glance, if that. But I find the older copies an excellent resource for "how to do's" or "why didn't I think of that's", which is why I keep them around.

My two cents worth... and we all know what two cents is worth these days!

Regards,
Tom Stockton

I usually only by MR and RMC. On occaision i'll buy Trains or Railfan and railroad. Others are pretty much photography mags and diesel power mag for trucks.

I'll grab a MRR once in a while to browse through all of the pretty pictures and read about who did this and how he did it. And I love looking through all of the adds with $30.00 RTR super detailed freight cars and BLI or Athearn locomotives that I can't afford. Its not really worth the $5.95 an issue for a guy my age. I'll just stick to this place :D

I get MR and still enjoy it. Although I can understand the issue others have with MR these days. I have been wanting to subscribe to MRC but it gets pretty expensive to keep up with 2 modeling magazines.

I subscribe to the following:

Diesel Era (complete and up to date)

UPHS "the Streamliner"(complete and up to date)

TRP (The Railroad Press) and am working on completing the set from the beginning of start of publishing...

Extra 2200 South and am working on completing the set from the beginning of start of publishing...

I buy off the news stands usually at BAM (Books-a-million) the following:

RMC if there is interesting article I want on scratch builds for UP
Trains, MR Locomotive & Steam Classics if I think it has something I am interested in reading.

I have a gift subscription to MR that I enjoy each month, and usually buy RMC. Model RR Hobbyist is pretty great - I wish all my magazines were in that format; much better than all the paper I've been lugging around for years.

My favorite magazines to buy are back issues of Model Railroading and Mainline Modeler.

I like TRP, wish it were out more often than even three months. My dad gets Model railroader so I just borrow his when he is done reading his magazines.

I used to subscribe to or buy MR, RMC, N Scale, Trains, and PRN. Now I only buy an occasional issue of RMC if there's something really interesting in it. I read MR and Trains at the library for free. I too really miss PRN.

reviews

Well 2 b honset the only 2 so far I seen on here that every1 talked bout is MRR AND MRN. I personally like both when it comes the hobby aspects. I personally like MRN for the reviews of new products honsetly they have the best so far MRR is the best for how-to and scenery tips they both have strong DCC corners so iwith that said love both magnzines

i pick up 2-3 issues of Trains and MR a year maybe one TRP and I have a subscription to Railroad Explorer. I wish CTC Board was still around.

Back