Weekly Photo Fun 911-9/9-17

Wheel masking jig made from idea fount in weathering forum on this site.
DSC00479.png

DSC00480.png

Nice jig hamilton. Maybe a block of wood the same width as between the flanges glued to one of the sticks instead of dealing with the dry erase marker?

Matt, the only thing we have in common is we both have the same H&C Coffee sign. :) It's all fantastic work, as usual. I sure wish someone would deliver a city scene like that to me.

Crandell, at least that family has a better chance of not getting blown down the hill. Nice picture of a short local.

Jeffrey, I never have understood that square, two sealed beam headlight. I'm not aware of the UP or NYC ever using one like it. The only steam engines I've seen with lights like that are Australian.

Alan, that train shed was a heck of a project. Very few clubs could have carried off succesfully. I was pretty sure the light bulb count must be in the hundreds. That must have been a real ball to wire. :)

Ray, are those clouds actually on your backdrop? If so, they look amazingly good. Nice tour of the layout. If you can't win your certificate from that, I'd sure hate to see one of the judges show up at my place. :eek:

MLW, that's the first time I've seen a wider view of the layout. That is going to be a real beauty judging what you've already done.

MLW... very nice shots there.. I have to ask. what color will the layout side boards be? Reason I ask is I have seen lots of shelf layouts use black sides and in my opinion it takes away from the scenery. are you going to use a color that matches the scenery?

Again..Great job!

Trent

great backdrop work, having a big chunk of sky in a overall picture does make it believeable ,looks like airbrush and stencil method? the shot of the roundhouse and turntable has this cloud that looks like it goes right in behind the hill . side bord or facia colour in my humble opinion can work in black if you leave on only the layout lighting and darken the room for a shodowbox type thing. If your room stays well lit then blending foreground colour and facia colour looks better to me. I seen rock and brickwork extend down in this case to great effect

Last edited by a moderator:
not much action on the layout this weekend. I have been busy painting and putting together the 32 freight cars I won off of ebay last week. All the cars are painted assembled minus the trucks on.. they are all ready for kadee couplers to be installed.

5 BB 40'athearn tankers (undec)
17 BB 40' athern pulpwood (undec)
6 BB 40' athearn hoppers (undec)
1 BB 50'athearn Flat car
3 P2K 30' tankers

that should add about another 10' of train when I run on the club layout:D time for a 2nd "powered car"

last weekend I was asked how my 4-8-2 could pull a 60 car train by itself. I hade to give up the secret that I had a powerd car hidden in the mix of things:cool:

Something different from my shops for a change. Still needs a few decals added to it.

100_4567.jpg

100_4568.jpg

pictures_48412_DSC04620e.jpg

pictures_48412_DSC04626e.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
CSX_road_slug Paul that's a great looking RS11, I'm sure some of the Alco lovers here are drooling

MLW - my hat's off to you for those scenes, they look totally real!

Thanks for the kind comment CSX_road_slug

UP2CSX
MLW, that's the first time I've seen a wider view of the layout. That is going to be a real beauty judging what you've already done.

Thank you. My progress with "scenicking" the layout is starting to covers a larger portion of it. This in turn allows me to take "wider" pictures of it. Roughly 50% of the layout is scenic one way or the other.

lmackattack MLW... very nice shots there.. I have to ask. what color will the layout side boards be? Reason I ask is I have seen lots of shelf layouts use black sides and in my opinion it takes away from the scenery. are you going to use a color that matches the scenery?

Again..Great job!

Trent

Thanks Trent. Appreciate your kind comment.

What color? I do not know for sure. My previous layout fascia was black with black skirt (Muslin). I think want to try for something lighter, maybe a green of someking. Maybe not. Not sure yet. Open to ideas for sure.

Ray, are those clouds actually on your backdrop? If so, they look amazingly good. Nice tour of the layout.

Thanks Jim! Yep, no Photoshop tricks there.

great backdrop work, having a big chunk of sky in a overall picture does make it believeable ,looks like airbrush and stencil method? the shot of the roundhouse and turntable has this cloud that looks like it goes right in behind the hill . side bord or facia colour in my humble opinion can work in black if you leave on only the layout lighting and darken the room for a shodowbox type thing. If your room stays well lit then blending foreground colour and facia colour looks better to me. I seen rock and brickwork extend down in this case to great effect

Phillip, I am assuming you are referring to my post... Thank you. The backdrop was done using stencils and plain old spray cans.... I used 3 different colors on the clouds. After painting in the tree line each was hit with some white mist from a foot and a half back done very quickly. There is usually 3 tree lines with each getting a larger brush and done slightly lower then finished with the white mist. That gives an impression of distance. The cloud in the first photo looks like it goes right in behind the hill because.... well it does. ;) There is about a foot and half of space behind the mountain with the sky being painted down the wall as there is an open space to be able to get to the tunnels behind it. During operations and viewing the only lighting is above the layout so the fascia and skirting just makes everything "disappear" (or at least that's what it is supposed to do...). Yes the "shadowbox" effect is what I was working for.

Nice work Jerome, you were quick with that one! Only problem is you have a GP38-2, and the prototypes are GP38's, that were upgraded to 38-2 specs, so the water sight glass should not be there on the model...

I certainly would like to add one of those units to my roster, though I think I'll do 2047 because of the distinct cab extension. Doing so will give me two GP38's with the cab extension.

By the way, are those decals from Microscale 87-1288?

Nice work Jerome, you were quick with that one! Only problem is you have a GP38-2, and the prototypes are GP38's, that were upgraded to 38-2 specs, so the water sight glass should not be there on the model...

I certainly would like to add one of those units to my roster, though I think I'll do 2047 because of the distinct cab extension. Doing so will give me two GP38's with the cab extension.

By the way, are those decals from Microscale 87-1288?

Josh, not a problem for me. I use what I have laying around in the drawers. Mirco-Scale 87-1288 correct. They are a bit small for the hood, but more modeler's license.

Josh, not a problem for me. I use what I have laying around in the drawers. Mirco-Scale 87-1288 correct. They are a bit small for the hood, but more modeler's license.
Thanks. I was thinking of using the same sheet. Maybe I should just wait until I can print my own white decals?

Thanks. I was thinking of using the same sheet. Maybe I should just wait until I can print my own white decals?

Josh, printing white decals, that's the trick. Unless your willing to shell out the big $$ for the Alps printer.

Thanks Trent. Appreciate your kind comment.

What color? I do not know for sure. My previous layout fascia was black with black skirt (Muslin). I think want to try for something lighter, maybe a green of someking. Maybe not. Not sure yet. Open to ideas for sure.

Well at the club they painted everthing black and has a black skirt and altho it looks nice and clean when you take a picture its the first thing that sticks out. Even when I stand near the layout it just makes it look like a defined border. On my home layout I painted the side boards green and added a black skirt below it. Personally I think the green better matches the scenery turf I used, thus it makes a little softer transition. I think any color is fine to use so long as it somehow matches the scenery. just my .02

Trent

Josh, printing white decals, that's the trick. Unless your willing to shell out the big $$ for the Alps printer.
ALPS is a dead technology as far as I'm concerned, they stopped making the ink for the most part. I'm looking at the Pulsar Decal Pro FX system, which can do white. The problem I have, is justifying a 3rd printer with the wife.

ALPS is a dead technology as far as I'm concerned, they stopped making the ink for the most part. I'm looking at the Pulsar Decal Pro FX system, which can do white. The problem I have, is justifying a 3rd printer with the wife.

Not true. Mark showed me a link last week in Europe that sells the printer and white cartridges. He'll have to chime in with the link.

Back