Weekly Photo Fun 911-9/9-17

DSCN1958.jpg

That station is quite spectacular, I love how the columns even have the cross-braces and the yellow paint at the base. Is it based off any station in particular?

Alan,

I echo what the others have said - that train shed is a masterpiece! I can't imagine how many man-hours of labor went into building that thing. What is the square-footage of area occupied by the shed and the tracks leading into it?

Indeed! The train shed/station is simply fabulous. Well done!
Thanks for sharing!

Long freight

Long freight going thru the yard..

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

:)

Last edited by a moderator:
Paul that's a great looking RS11, I'm sure some of the Alco lovers here are drooling :D

MLW - my hat's off to you for those scenes, they look totally real!:cool:

Last edited by a moderator:
Alan OMG!!!!!:eek::eek::eek::D:D A truely amazing piece of art that!!

Crandell I had to look for those spectators--they seem to have the hair blowing in the breeze---although I can see some RR cop being a little ticked!!:eek::eek::D--another great shot:D

I finished putting up the skirt on the part of the layout that judged for the Scenery Merit Award today and started to take the required photos of that part. The first photos they want are some general overview type photos. In order for me to get photos of everything as an overview, it took me 6 shots. Starting on the right hand part as you face Hopewell junction..

Engine servicing facility/roundhouse and above Cooleys Blue Ice and the pond:

Overview01w.png

Moving counter clockwise, The Town of Hopewell Junction and the Yard:

Overview02w.png

More of the Yard, Hopewell Station, and the farmland above:

Overview03w.png

Freight House, Yard Lead, and farmland:

Overview04w.png

Yard Lead, farmland, and above is Thompson Tile:

Overview05w.png

Yard Limit, Waterfalls, abandoned trackage, and hillside:

Overview06w.png

Finished up the brick store front for the convention this afternoon. Mostly adding signs and such, did use the fading technique on one of the signs on the right side which looks good with smaller newer signs covering part of it.

Matt Dillow
MD Custom Models

Some shots of the transition era city that I am building for a client in O scale. Total length of the city is 25' along an "L" shaped piece of real estate. Piece that was delivered this trip is the concrete and brick Tiein Bottling Company. All of the structures with large windows will have interiors in the long run, some already do.

Matt Dillow
MD Custom Models

Some additional shots including one of the coal mine company houses with the mine in the back ground.

Matt Dillow
MD Custom Models

Ray, I agree, you really have a showpiece there. :) It has a real railroad feel to it.

I have another image for this weekend. Instead my usual practice of taking my images at night without the effects of a bright blue sky filtering in through a window just left of the image and on the far wall, I took this one during a bright sunny morning. I kind of like the blue sky reflected off the boiler and tender side.

This time we have Dad supervising the kids and it is a freight train from the NYC.

IMG_5476csharadjres.png

-Crandell

DJ and Crandell, thank you for the kind words. I sure hope the team that does the judging agrees with you. I keep thinking of things that should still be done.......

I finished putting up the skirt on the part of the layout that judged for the Scenery Merit Award today and started to take the required photos of that part. The first photos they want are some general overview type photos. In order for me to get photos of everything as an overview, it took me 6 shots. Starting on the right hand part as you face Hopewell junction..

Engine servicing facility/roundhouse and above Cooleys Blue Ice and the pond:

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h259/slow_rr/SLOW_RR_II/Overview01w.jpg

Moving counter clockwise, The Town of Hopewell Junction and the Yard:

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h259/slow_rr/SLOW_RR_II/Overview02w.jpg

More of the Yard, Hopewell Station, and the farmland above:

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h259/slow_rr/SLOW_RR_II/Overview03w.jpg

Freight House, Yard Lead, and farmland:

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h259/slow_rr/SLOW_RR_II/Overview04w.jpg

Yard Lead, farmland, and above is Thompson Tile:

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h259/slow_rr/SLOW_RR_II/Overview05w.jpg

Yard Limit, Waterfalls, abandoned trackage, and hillside:

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h259/slow_rr/SLOW_RR_II/Overview06w.jpg
Ray - your scenery looks great as always! I'm sure you've got that merit award wrapped up. I recently found a folder with some of my old AP stuff in it: a merit award for one of my srtuctures, and a Model Railroad Author certificate. I started on that quest back in 2002, but abandoned it ~6 months later when I realized I wasn't making any progress on my layout. Figured I should do that first, then come back and try the AP thing.

That station is quite spectacular, I love how the columns even have the cross-braces and the yellow paint at the base. Is it based off any station in particular?

Glad you all like it! We're kind of proud of it. The station itself is based on Union Station in Omaha, which you can see in the current issue of Classic Trains. The trainshed is totally freelanced. It took about 2 years to build and another 6 months to light. There are hundreds of bulbs, not sure of the total count, all wired in series, in blocks, and running off their own independent power supply. That scene occupies an area roughly 6 feet wide by 20 feet long. The longest track will accept a train of 14 85 ft cars and three E or PA units. The turnouts are all automated so that a member can run a macro on our NCE system to select his track. If you are on lead 3 and want to go to track 14, you select "macro 143" on the handset, and all the turnouts align automatically. Pretty slick. If there is interest I'll take photos of the station and the electronics and post on a future WPF. If any of you will be in Milwaukee for next year's NMRA National, come see us. We're on the tour.

Jeffery,

Interesting Northern. UP two tone gray, a New york Central front end, and the low profile boiler to get through those low tunnels they had. Gotta Love Bachman! Looks better in black! White wheel treads are a real PITA to paint. I'd suggest a Testors, or even better, a Scalecoat paint pen. Keeps the paint where you want it to go! The first time I did those it drove me loco! Got in a white & black war trying to fix goofs. Five bucks...I love it!

Dan,

Love the mood shot! Have I seen handlaid track in previous photos?

Crandell, Great shots, but NYC and Pennsy? Careful you don't end up having arguements with yourself!

Let us know how the Merit Award judging goes Ray. When you know the documentation is perfect, check it again! Those guys are really fussy!

Back