Weekly Photo Fun 5-08/5-14

Jeffery, progress photos are always good to get an idea of what it took to get the end result. Will the engine go back in UP colors or do you have your own private road colors going on it?

Just a quick progress report on the SD27J. Yesterday I stripped the shell, repainted it gray primer and made a few modifications to the top of the long hood. At this point the loco ceased being an SD24 and became my view of a modified SD26, what I call the SD27J. Today I spent much of the morning woking on the blower housing I had cut from an old GP50 shell. After I had carefully trimmed it I test fitted it and found I had to trim it even more. After several hours work I was finally able to mount it.

DSCN1255.jpg

DSCN1267.jpg

Little bit of custom painting done for myself. This is UP 7391, a GE C6044AC, which in case you have no clue what that is, it is an AC6000CW body (6000hp unit) delivered as a convertible unit, with the 4400hp prime mover common to the AC4400CW.

I picked this unit for a few reasons, one, I try to stick to an always modern era, and this unit happened to have the new yellow sill stripe, which is a new modification to the UP paint scheme due to FRA regulations. The odd part was the fact that this unit was patched to 7391 (unsure of its original number), and still carried a "We Will Deliver" slogan.

The model is a BLI AC6000, undec, no sound or DCC. I modified the exhaust area from the 6000's twin stacks to a single Dash 9/AC4400 style, using a High Tech Details part. That's the major work needed to make the C6044AC! There's a few door differences under the radiator, however there is no aftermarket door to use to replace them.

In any case, the side frames are weathered, as is the fuel tank, and plow. There's much more to go in the way of weathering, I need to do the sill/walkway and cab, then add the yellow sill stripe afterwords.

The cab number boards look odd, I was trying to replicated the faded look of the ones on the unit. I think the plastic cover over the numbers fogged out to make the board look gray. I simply painted it gray and then decaled the numbers in, looks good to me. The patches on the cab sides are sprayed on with very thin House of Kolor military brown, then the road number placed over them. I think I over did the patch a little though.

*Note, the bridge in the photos w/o the blue back drop, that's on my current layout, and is due to be replaced with two Scale Segmental Bridge Co T girder bridges and a Central Valley ballasted steel through girder, with Scale Segmental Bridge Co. pilings. The other bridge, in the photos with the blue backdrop is a Scale Segmental Bridge Co. box girder. These bridges are sweet! If you need one, I highly recommend them!

Well, destruction of part of the layout has begun. I'm adding hidden staging on the lower level, and connecting that with the upper level. This will triple the length of my main line, and allow the addition of many businesses above. I didn't use my layout lighting to take the photos, so the color is off, and the pictures are dark...

DSCF1259.jpg

DSCF1260.jpg

DSCF1261.jpg

In the mean time, the trains are sitting still.
DSCF1266.jpg

DSCF1256.jpg

Except for some minor detail work the SD27J is finished. The decoder has been installed and programmed on the program track and tested on the main.

DSCN1281.jpg

Jeffrey, nice work on your own "model" of a model engine.

Adam, that's really some demolishing work you're doing. :eek:

Keith, that's a fine picture. The engines look good and the telegraph pole looks really good.

Josh, your patch job looks fine to me. I know whatg you mean about the number boards. They almost look like the fogged over plastic headlights you see on cars now. Is the FRA requiring reflective striping on the side sill? I've often wondered why they have that regulation. It seems like, if you can see the side sill in your headlights, it's probably a little too late to stop. :)

My custom decals arrived yesterday so all the projects in the paint shop can now be finished. The block L over V is same style and colors as the N over H of the New Haven. I had them made in all the color variations the NH had as well as in 3 different sizes.

Here is the first job to roll out fresh from the paint shop with the new graphics. NJ International brass model of a N&W transfer car, unaltered except to be painted.
picture.php

picture.php

Due next out of the paint shop is an RSD5, GP38-2, and a 44 tonner as soon as I pick up some diesel loco data decals to finish them.

Josh, your patch job looks fine to me. I know whatg you mean about the number boards. They almost look like the fogged over plastic headlights you see on cars now. Is the FRA requiring reflective striping on the side sill? I've often wondered why they have that regulation. It seems like, if you can see the side sill in your headlights, it's probably a little too late to stop. :)
General consensus seems to be you'll see the train from farther away on un-signaled crossings. Those stripes reflect!

Mike, nice paint and decal work. I like the herald.

Josh, I guess you could see the train better at night at an unsignaled, unlighted crossing. I guess that's why all the freight cars are getting reflective striping also. I'll be interested to see if they produce any data which shows all this expense actually reduces grade crossing accidents.

Back