Weekly Photo Fun 5-08/5-14

jeffrey-wimberly

Dr Frankendiesel
This week my attention has been on getting my two latest motive power acquisitions ready for service. I picked them up for a fraction of their retail cost. Both units had some light cosmetic damage.

First is an Atlas U30C. The mounting holes for the endrails had to be drilled out so the endrails (the ones supplied are for a U33C) could be added. I couldn't find any visors lying around so I fashioned a pair from card stock. They're likely not to scale but I like them and that's what matters here. I got the unit for about 1/3 it's retail cost.

DSCN1210.jpg

DSCN1201.jpg

Second is an Atlas SD24. I didn't have to go scrounging for detail parts for this one. The mounting of the endrails was a bit problematic as they didn't want to stay in place. A little super glue took care of that problem. I drilled a small hole in the top of the cab so I could mount the horns there. The mounting holes for the ladders had to be drilled out. The ladders were mounted in place with super glue as were the visors. This unit was obtained for about 1/4 of it's retail cost.

DSCN1221.jpg

DSCN1193.jpg

DSCN1190.jpg

Nice work of those locos Jeffrey.

I have made a fair amount of progress on my river valley this past week. I still need to mount the trestle, connect the track, weather the piers and bridge, plant trees, make a road, pour a river, and a few other things! Basically, I'm half done!:D I am, however, done looking at blue foam in this section! Here are a few progress pics.

newlayout023-1.jpg

newlayout024.png

newlayout031.png

Nice work on the Engines Jeffery, and sounds like you got a steal of a deal on them too which is always great :D

Corey, that scene is looking SWEET!! I especially like how you split the trestle and put it on both sides of the girder bridge, that really makes it stand out :D I like the road bridge and the windy road too, it should look awesome when your done, cant wait to see more :D

EXCELLENT shot Gramps, that double crossover and the cliff side on the left really make this scene look sweet in this pic!! :D

Man i would love to see your beautiful layout in person!! I have hopes of one day building a large layout and super detailing it like you have done :D

Been working on some backdrops, from our own photography, and practicing with the cameras.

P1010326.jpg

P1010870.jpg

P1010338.jpg

Really nice modelling everyone! Those diesels are fine, the four of you that have shown them in either still or moving fashion. :D

The trestle display is awesome! :D

I think I have shown this image before, but I haven't got anything new, so here it be:

Cs-loco-color-web.png

-Crandell

Just finished the last of these 3 Z scale cars (the boxcar) for a client yesterday.

csx3baya.jpg

mrl3baya.jpg

mrlboxa.jpg

and this one for me

csx2baya.jpg

I have 3 more of these to finish up.

Corey, don't forget some guard rails for the road going under the trestle. You wouldn't want a truck hitting that and taking the trains out of commission!

Here's a tunnel motor waiting at the loadout for another load of black diamonds.

5412a.jpg

Another, a side view just as the sun is about to dip behind the ridge. Resting trains are much easier to catch!

5412.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Jeffrey, I'm getting ready shed a tear for the #403 as it gets a patch job. :)

Corey, excellent progress so far. Once you get the big things done, then it's time to do the real fun stuff of adding all the small details, like guard rails and road signs. Those are things that really make the scene come to life.

Gramps, another fine scene, as usual. Your camera work is really outstanding.

Gary, are those backdrops added in Photoshop or printed and on the walls? Wither way, they look very realistic.

MLW, like I said on the other thread, if you find a way to edit out the area above the backdrop, that scene would look really good.

Johnathan, those Z scale cars look better all the time. There are many times I look at the space I have available and imagine what an empire I could build in Z scale. Unfortunately, I need a complete new set of eyes and hands to make that happen. :D

Quote UP2CSX

Gary, are those backdrops added in Photoshop or printed and on the walls? Wither way, they look very realistic.

Jim, we printed the same photo on 4 sheets of 8.5 x 14 paper (2 of them mirror images)...then spliced them together at various points. The photo was taken while driving home to Calgary from the mountains.....low horizon shot. Worked quite well in the layout....just affixed the copies to the wall. The rock face was a single sheet of paper and affixed to the wall as well. Thanks, Jim.

Back