Weekly Photo Fun 4-2/4-8

If you want to be truly arty, you have to pan the shot so that the background is blurred but the train isn't (or isn't so much). With many attempts to my discredit, this is the only time I've ever made it work with a model. It's On3 model of an imaginary rail system in the marshes around Narragansett Bay; picture taken at the Springfield Massachusetts show a few years ago.

pan.jpg

Jeff,

What I am about to say is like a blind man telling someone how to paint a picture. I have not done any weathering on rolling stock, just limited sucess and lots of failure on buildings. For me the key was to do everything very suttle and add in layers, many layers if necessary. But the number one thing to remember is as long as you like it, it is perfect.

Is this more along your line of thinking?
P1010711.jpg

nothing to really show this weekend. I took a few quick shots at the club this weekend.

First is a modern BNSF coal drag

the other pic is of our westbound set up yard. this yard was filled to %100 twice with the cars needed to set the club record. you can read more info about the club record that I talked about in my other thread from today.

Trent

Is this more along your line of thinking?
P1010711.jpg

A definite improvement. Also try a wash on the car using the darker color by dipping a brush of the color in some rubbing alcohol and swirling it around just a little, then applying to the car. Start at the top and stroke down the side of the car. I think you'll like the effect.

Those look like good examples to use, but I also have to remember that I'm doing what makes me happy, not what makes others happy. After all, it's not going to be on their layout.

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: ooooh boy! that makes you happy huh? OK well to each their own! I've never seen anything that ressembles that weathering, anywhere, ever.

hey bud.... it's his railroad, his standards... I like it, so to each his own...

(you find me a prototype for a 44 tonner sporting a purloined -9 AC unit...)

DSC06287.jpg

Hey Jeff, what brand is that hopper? The chutes are way off the ground and the flanges are quite large. Must be pretty old?

You do have a varied mix of items for sure. You could probably partially fill an HO history time-line without much problem.

You do have a varied mix of items for sure. You could probably partially fill an HO history time-line without much problem.
Including a 1970's vintage Bachmann GP40 that came with a German made drive mechanism. Bought in Germany no less for less than 30 Deutsche Marks in 1977. At the time that worked out to about $12 US. The loco has been completely rebuilt over the years so much of it's uniqueness is gone, but it's still going.

Back