weekend photofun 9/10/11 May 08

G scale with an HO model next to it. I don't know if the CP model was done by a 7 yr old or not. I didn't notice it said that until I was looking at the photos.

P1010003-42.jpg

The New England RPM meet will be held May 30-31st at the Canton Community Center, 40 Dyer Ave., Collinsville, Connecticut (Collinsville is 14 miles northwest of Hartford.) There's also a tour of Branchline Trains scheduled for Thursday the 29th and tours of local layouts on the 1st of June. A lot of people come from Jersey among other places.

Here's a link to the website: http://www.neprototypemeet.com/Welcome.html
The exact schedule of speakers and events will be released shortly.

Chris

Nice stuff in those photo's. I wish something like that was held here in NJ. Unless i just dont know about them.

What scale was that large silver burlington E8A?

Against better advice, I went with two bridges. You can see where the "old main" will be, in the upper left of the first pic (the line the Geep 7 is on) I'll just ballast and weather the line, maybe lay some ties and old rail on the sides, and I'll "pave over" the grade crossing.

5-11-1.png

5-11-2.png

GN.2023 Running light across Irene Bridge

GN--

That just makes me DROOL! :D Both the loco and the bridge. Whatta COMBINATION!!

Sigfan--those are great bridges. Is that truss an Atlas? Looks really cool!

Jeff--Nice job on the tanker. You've got some pretty talented 'taggers' down there, LOL!

Tom

Last edited by a moderator:
I finished up my U30C project. This is an Altas Gold Series, former L&N motor.

img2635ep3.jpg

img2636hs5.jpg

Here it is with the other U30C, which is still in the blue/white scheme.
img2637lb8.jpg

Nice engine and bridge, GN

James, nice videos and music. I'm surprised at how much those passenger cars look just like late 19th century US wood passenger cars, even down to the truss rods. I'm assuming that giant white tank car behind the engine is a fuel tender?

Zephyr, very nice paint job on that U30C. Makes the blue Rock scheme look dull by comparison. I never did like "The Rock" slogan anyway. :)

Jeffrey, nice tank car and graffiti. You're getting better at weathering all the time.

James, nice videos and music. I'm surprised at how much those passenger cars look just like late 19th century US wood passenger cars, even down to the truss rods. I'm assuming that giant white tank car behind the engine is a fuel tender?

The rollingstock is from the early 1900's, with some of the carriages from around 1930. The tank car is actually a WO water wagon, holds roughly 20,000L, because We haven't had steam service sinces the 60's, no water towers exist anymore. It is easier for QR just to attach a water wagon each month for the steam train sunday excursion. :)

Been working on switchers for the salvage yard. I made one to work the yard, the others are re-builts that will be leased back out to other railroads. They still need weathering and a good coat of dull-coat. But that'll happen soon enough.

100_1970.jpg

100_1969.jpg

100_1972.jpg

100_1971.jpg

100_1975.jpg

100_1974.jpg

Dave, nice work on both sets of bridges. However (and I don't want to seem to be busting your chops here), the old mainline bridge makes no sense from an engineering point of view. Your new mainline bridge is carried high above the water, which is what you'd expect. The old bridge would be in big trouble in a flood and would never have been allowed to be built over a navigable waterway because of inadequate above the water clearance. A deck truss bridge would normally be used when there was some obstuction to using a through truss, like wide loads. A plate girder bridge would be much more common in this situation since the span between piers is short and it's way cheaper to build than any kind of truss bridge. It's your layout so do what you want, just trying to give you some background on how a real railroad would do it.

I finished up my U30C project. This is an Altas Gold Series, former L&N motor.
img2635ep3.jpg

Looking good as usual. Hoping to pick up a few more U34CH's for E.L livery. I

Been working on switchers for the salvage yard. I made one to work the yard, the others are re-builts that will be leased back out to other railroads. They still need weathering and a good coat of dull-coat. But that'll happen soon enough.

100_1970.jpg

100_1969.jpg

100_1972.jpg

100_1971.jpg

100_1975.jpg

100_1974.jpg

Those are all killer switchers and nice painting to them too. Love the patch job on the one.

I do agree with you on all points......that's going to ba a salt water inlet, so it will not be a navigable channel, clearance isn't an issue. The water will be modelled at high tide, with maybe a scale 10 feet from the bridge.

However, I may go with a plate girder bridge..........

Dave, nice work on both sets of bridges. However (and I don't want to seem to be busting your chops here), the old mainline bridge makes no sense from an engineering point of view. Your new mainline bridge is carried high above the water, which is what you'd expect. The old bridge would be in big trouble in a flood and would never have been allowed to be built over a navigable waterway because of inadequate above the water clearance. A deck truss bridge would normally be used when there was some obstuction to using a through truss, like wide loads. A plate girder bridge would be much more common in this situation since the span between piers is short and it's way cheaper to build than any kind of truss bridge. It's your layout so do what you want, just trying to give you some background on how a real railroad would do it.

Dave,
Salt water equals salt spray, even if there's no flood issues. As I'm sure you know, salt and steel don't get along too well. If it won't break your heart (or your budget), plate girder spans would look better and be more prototypical.

Dave,
Salt water equals salt spray, even if there's no flood issues. As I'm sure you know, salt and steel don't get along too well. If it won't break your heart (or your budget), plate girder spans would look better and be more prototypical.

I just bought a trio (Atlas plate girder bridges) on Ebay. I might have to find some new piers though, as these Atlas ones only look "good" with the deck truss bridge. Thanks for the input:)

James, water does make a lot more sense, now that you mention it.

Jerome, nice work on all three models. That's an interesting patch job on the ex-UP calf and cow. I had to look twice to see the stripes were part of the patch job. What did you use for the side sill markings? They came out nice.

Back