weekend photofun 9/10/11 May 08

I suprised Im first here but never mind...

This week I decided the harbour needed some boats so after trying to find a reasonably priced 1:76 fishing boat and failing I decided to have a go scratchbuilding.

Step 1 carve a pine hull !!!!!!

fishingboat.jpg

Add some plasticard

fishingboat1.jpg

And some some plasticard / plastic rod

fishtopaint1.jpg

and paint

fishpaint.jpg

fishpaint4.jpg

fishpaint1.jpg

fishpaint2.jpg

fishpaint3.jpg

John
RJR

Dang, John, that's a really nice model. I never would have believed that started with a hunk of pinewood unless you showed us the pictures. Maybe you can start carving your own rolling stock and save some real money:)

I haven't done anything worthwhile this week. Here's an old and not very good picture of the Bubba's Home Supply truck picking some LCL freight from the P&N team track.

UnloadingatteamtrackMedium.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
John--

GREAT boat--and thanks so much for showing us the stage from conception to finished model. Just beautiful!

Okay, my Basket Case Yellowstone went through the Paint Shop this week (not the weathering shop, though) so thought I'd post a before and after of it.
Before:
DSC02150-1-1.jpg

After:
DSC02212-1.jpg

And no, that thingy behind the coaling tower is NOT the Cloverfield Creature, it's a bottle of WS Scenic cement that I didn't realize was there:eek:

Tom

That's a nice looking steamer Tom. I'm a little partial to the Yellowstones because I'm from Minnesota. It's one of the few steamers I've seen in person. I remember it leaving a big impression on me as a child when I saw it in the Duluth Museum. Nice paint job.

Very nice paint job, Tom. The graphite boiler and smokebox look particularly good. Don't you hate it when you leave stuff on the layout and don't notice it? :)

Thanks for the kind words, guys.
Jim, I had to mix the Graphite myself--couldn't find anything commercial that matched the particular shade of graphite Rio Grande used. Mixed 1 part Floquil Old Silver with 2 parts regular Floquil Graphite. Brushed it on.

Here's an overall view of the engine yard so far--still working on it (and still have the Cloverfield Critter in the background, LOL!) Put in an ash pit this week.
DSC02213-1.jpg

Tom

I second Carl! Great start on the weekend!

Tom, just a suggestion. First I love what you have done to that Yellowstone. You might, however, want to either reset the date on your camera to the correct one (I am assuming the photo wasn't shot last November) or shut it off. At least you noticed the WS bottle in your photo... I had one that didn't notice some tools laying around in the photo until I looked at it a year later (I was then very embarrased.....). Great work!

Ray--

Talk about EMBARRASSED! I just thought those numbers that appeared in the corner were some kind of weird little code for the camera. By golly, they ARE a date, aren't they? Well, back to the Instruction Manual:eek:

Thanks.
Tom :D

"This week I decided the harbour needed some boats so after trying to find a reasonably priced 1:76 fishing boat and failing I decided to have a go scratchbuilding. "

I didn't know that was still allowed. I thought all we were qualified to do as model railroaders was to open boxes. It looks really good though.

You folks continue to impress me. I looove the quality this thread generates every weekend. John, you can take a full bow over the boat...nicely done! :)

Jim, I liked your image as well. Nice overhead view, and I liked the weeds in the ballast...nice touch. :D

I enjoyed also the proto modeling images just above...very impressive.

Without further ado, here is a shot of Front Street with a Pennsy Pacific K4s about to enter the western portal at Seneca Falls. Behind her is a heavyweight coach bracketed by the house and the store.

IMG_2051cadj2r.JPG

Very nice work everyone . John thanks for the insight into how you built the fishing boat. Is it tru that they lost 34 boats in the fishing fleet last year over in England ?

Some great work on display at that show, Paul, including yours, of course. Did a 7 year old kid really do that one model by himself?

Tom, don't feel bad, it took me about 10 pictures of nothing but black when I got my new camera before I realized I had to take off the lense cap. :)

Crandell, nice scene there. Too often, we try to make the train the centerpiece when, in real life, it's a lot more like you've shown - just a part of the landscape, albeit a moving part.

Jeffrey, I like your new weathering jobs. Two things though. First, see if you can stop the black pooling at the bottom. Maybe wick it away with a paper towel before it dries. Second, weather the trucks along with the car. Some rust on the springs and around the journals along with a little dirt over the whole truck surface blends things together.

WOW! I am awed by many of the photos this week. Keep up the great work folks!

I have been working on the Farm Scene again this week. It is getting close to completion. Most of the work has been on the pasture across the road from the barn. It is hard to see but I have added a water trough and a hand pump over the well to provide water when the stock are across the road. Trees and pasture have sprung up. (Sorry for the low quality photos, but I took them with the flash as I didn't have time to set up the lighting and tripod to do a "good" job.

CowBarnPasture5w.png

CowBarnPasture6w.png

An overview of the farm area:

CowBarnPasture7w.png

I also started on a Walthers Wood Coaling Tower today:

CoalTower1.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Ray--

That farm scene just gets better and better. Again, I'm really impressed with your use of space. Just beautiful!

Post a pic of the coaling tower when you get it finished, okay? I went with their concrete one because I couldn't find a wood, and a week after I finished mine, they came OUT with it. Oh, well---:eek:

Tom:D

Thanks for the kind words, guys.
Jim, I had to mix the Graphite myself--couldn't find anything commercial that matched the particular shade of graphite Rio Grande used. Mixed 1 part Floquil Old Silver with 2 parts regular Floquil Graphite. Brushed it on.

Here's an overall view of the engine yard so far--still working on it (and still have the Cloverfield Critter in the background, LOL!) Put in an ash pit this week.
DSC02213-1.jpg

Tom

Beautiful locomotive and scene, Tom!!! :cool:

Back