weekend photofun 24-26 October 08

That is one beautiful switcher.

And that prototype shot, absolutely. I been meaning to go rail fan down at the river, but first I need to learn how to use this camera first.

It's been a while since I hve shown anything off. Just yesterday I added a new Athearn Genesis UP MP15DC to the fleet. My yard fleet is almost complete.
I just have to wait untill those UP GP40-2s are in.
2979935052_21bc90f601.jpg

2979070783_d25033db04.jpg

DROOOOOL.....slurp......DROOOOOOOOOOOOOOL :D:p Yowsa! I love it man very nice!

That is one beautiful switcher.

And that prototype shot, absolutely. I been meaning to go rail fan down at the river, but first I need to learn how to use this camera first.

best way to learn how to shoot is to get out and shoot!!!!

I guess the windows look somewhat weathered but there not. Might look like that from the light or something. I'm very pleased with it. It runs very quiet and very smooth. And it crawls like a slug.

No, he's talking about the "Green House" Style window additions on the side of the cab. So the engineer or conductor and see out without getting cold by sticking his head outside.

Jeffrey, that old tower is really taking on some character. Maybe that can be your haunted place for Halloween. :)

Mike, Anthony is correct. I was wondering if the greenhouse style side windows came with the model or you added them.

sorry about that, Yes the Green house style window did come with the model.
only on the engineer side.
2983225650_7961edd9a9.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
85' Pullman Palace cars

Getting ready for the begining of restorations of 6 or 7 of my MDC Pullman Palace cars, found enough information on Great Northern varnish to get started.....paint & decals have been ordered, have been in touch with Bob Fingerle at American Limited requesting information on their line of diaphragms. Also planning on full interiors eventually
These cars will be a layout showpiece when finished.....I hope!

Mike, thanks, that's a real nice detail they added. Athearn seems to get better with every run.

GN, those Roundhouse Palace Cars always were beauts. I'm never seen vents that run the length of the clerestory though. I can't remember from my days of building those if that was a Roundhouse thing or if that's how the GN set them up and you added them. Very few clerestory roof cars had vents like that so I was wondering about it.

Mike, thanks, that's a real nice detail they added. Athearn seems to get better with every run.

GN, those Roundhouse Palace Cars always were beauts. I'm never seen vents that run the length of the clerestory though. I can't remember from my days of building those if that was a Roundhouse thing or if that's how the GN set them up and you added them. Very few clerestory roof cars had vents like that so I was wondering about it.

Looking thru several books i have' Woods Great Northern Railway and Some Classic Trains found several pictures of GN. palace cars that did have a similar type of roof vent,whether they were for fresh air or lighting can't be positive but I'm leaning towards the idea that they were for lighting as interior views show light fixtures along the centerline of the cars and had they been for fresh air might they not have sucked in some exhaust from the locomotive?
Also seeing as these pictures are from the very early 1900s (1905-1912) maybe they had as yet started using electric lighting? not sure!
Also found pictures where they have been removed and capped off in later years.
At any rate will leave them in place for now.

GN, I think they were lighting vents used for gas lighting that replaced kerosene for the short interval before electricity became common. I'm not sure what the correct date range is for these types of vents but since neither of us is sure, I don't think too many otgher rivet counters will be either. :)

Back