Weekend Photofun 16-17-18

Phil, I was posting at the same time as you. I was wondering where you were railfanning with that first photo until I realized it was your models. Very impressive bridge even without PS. I really like the double deck design with the roadway running under the railroad. Common in real life but I haven't seen it modeled very often.

Ah shucks Tom and Jim Thanks!

Ray, always enjoy your photos and your close ups of various scenes. How about a photo someday of that 3 story building on the right hand side of your last photo. The fire escape looks pretty nice.
Tom

Well............. OK. This is the largest of the buildings at Hopewell Junction and has some businesses (Fox Plumbing and Henry Hardware) on the first floor and use this side (Basement) for deliveries and storage. The top floor is apartments for families. This was built from the Walthers Modulars and was the first one I attempted. Tell ya what.... If you can find how I screwed up the fire escape, I'll buy you breakfast in the Coffee Shop next time your in there.

HopewellBusiness01w.png

And a closer shot:

HopewellBusiness02w.png

The buildings here are heavily weathered with soot and ash being near the RR Yard.

Phil, I was posting at the same time as you. I was wondering where you were railfanning with that first photo until I realized it was your models. Very impressive bridge even without PS. I really like the double deck design with the roadway running under the railroad. Common in real life but I haven't seen it modeled very often.

I thought that first photo was real life too until I saw the second one.

Great job!

Ray, Thanks, that's another nice bit of modeling. I'll take a stab and suggest that when the ground section of the fire escape is lowered, it is short. Another look has me second guessing myself and doing an edit of this post. Do the windows open? They don't look like double hung windows, but could tilt out I suppose.
Tom

Last edited by a moderator:
Holy smokes! Now THAT IS A BRIDGE!!!

If you want to make photoshopping easier, get a day-glo colored posterboard from your local art store, wal-mart or supermarket, brace it behine the subject you're taking the photo of, then go into photoshop and remove the unnatural day-glo color with magic wand tool.

Think green/blue screens in movies.

That's a good idea...I wasn't planning on doing that do the photos, but they looked too plain as they were.

I also have a lift bridge of equal length that was modeled after the Robert Street Lift Bridge in St. Paul (as well as the road bridge next to it as well...)

Phil

Phil, I'm using Sky Blue boards. Its 20"x30"x1/4" and one side is painted a sky blue, much easier then editing backdrops colors!

I'll have to pick some of them up...

In the case of the first photo, it was easier than the second, and looks a WHOLE lot better than the second.

Will be here next week showing the results of the project.

Any ideas where to find them? I am assuming Wal-Mart...

Phil

Well, here's some more pictures for you guys...this time of another layout section that has not been moved.

Prototype for the station is St. Paul Union Depot. It's scaled down a bit on the concourse, the building above the tracks, and the actual head-house itself is short lengthwise by 2 pillars.

DSC08179.png

DSC08180.png

A WCRTA train is loading passengers tired after a long day of work, to head over to Hudson, WI, the eastern terminus of the WCRTA and the homes of some of the passengers. The rest will get off at one of the 3 stations before reaching Hudson, which includes Stillwater.

DSC08185.png
Phil

Hi, late start to the weekend for me as I took my 12 year old boy ona an overnight camp Friday with some of the guys from church and their sons. But anyway back now here are some pictures from my weeks activities

Done a bit more.
Terminus Side

The elevated level is now glued in,

The station platform is there in idea form !!

station.jpg

station.jpg

Backscene undercoated white and the first structure started, Its a modified Scalescenes warehouse that Im going to build around a plywood shell.

terminuswarehouse.jpg

terminuswarehouse1.jpg

terminuswarehouse2.jpg

Harbour Side

Backscene fitted and undercoated white.

First structure started , again the Scalescenes warhouse in VERY Low Relief, the plan is to build it forward over the last couple of inches of the siding to create a covered loading bay

wharf1.jpg

wharf.jpg

John
RJR

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll have to pick some of them up...

In the case of the first photo, it was easier than the second, and looks a WHOLE lot better than the second.

Will be here next week showing the results of the project.

Any ideas where to find them? I am assuming Wal-Mart...

Phil
I get mine at Michaels. Wal*mart sometimes has them, but usually only white & black.

Thanks for sharing wonderfull pics

Great stuff for this long weekend! Way to go guys:)

Awlays looking forward to this thread. Excellent modelling and pics.

Selector: WOW! That's a great shot!! Very nicely done
Smoke: Nice loco you got there.
oilerbuster: nice weathering
kylewoody: very nice indeed
rhoward: wow! Nice pic of your layout and rolling stock/loco.
martin_lumber: Great bridge!! Hollyc cow! Would it be possible to tell us how you did it? WOW! That station you did. You are a pro
rhoward: Nicely done. That's on my project list: Buildings.
GrampysTrains: great shot! Is this a BLI loco? Looking good.
johntealon30: Great stuff. I enjoy seeing your work and how it devellops.
jeffrey-wimberly: great shots!
jbaakko: Very nice. Like the bridge.

Hope I did not forget anyone

Back