Weekend photofun 13/14/15 June

I haven't had the time to do any modeling is awhile.:( However, I did swing by Saginaw, TX, the other day doing some research on my upcoming grain build.

Here is a picture of the trucks lined up waiting to unload. It was tough staying out of the way of all those trucks. The second is the south elevator with a long line of BNSF covered hoppers.

The only ONLY car with graffiti on it is the "STORK" its a Cylindrical hopper with a very realistic looking bird on its sides. This thread has to be the best WPF we've had in a while!
Does it look like this? This is one I put on a cylindrical hopper in my collection of grafittoed cars.

P9160001.jpg

Well My Big Boy showed up I fixed the wheels all thought I didnt aline the one side yet. Kinda dissapointed as it dosnt run. The tender nearly caught fire when I tried it so there is a major wiring issue with it. I will get it fixed at a later date. I also removed the Elephant ears and am going to install them on the 3985 as I got to see it run with them on it once.

UP4019.jpg

Challenger 3985 with Elephant ears.

UP3985withears.jpg

3985elephantears.jpg

Extra, Extra! Rock slide destroys the yard lead and mainline!

The work shown this week definitely deserves a "2 thumbs Up"!

A rock slide a few weeks ago destroyed a portion of the yard lead and mainline near Hopewell Junction....

Rockslide02w.png

This opened up a large cave by one of the major tunnels as well...... A new streambed washed out under the tracks also!

Rockslide03w.png

Rebuilding has begun as shown:

Rockslide04w.png

Rockslide06w.png

Rockslide07w.png

Rockslide07w.png

The new scene is about half done at present.

I got a few pics of some prototype equipment this evening. It was a little too dark for my camera. I'll have to try to get some daylight pics soon.

A Kershaw Ballast Regulator:

MVC-602F.jpg

MVC-608F.jpg

They had it chained to the track to prevent theft! :rolleyes:

MVC-605F.jpg

A Fairmont Ballast Tamper:

MVC-593F.jpg

MVC-590F.jpg

When did they start using steel ties? I'd never heard of these.

MVC-594F.jpg

MVC-597F.jpg

I assume this is for hauling ties? It's awful beat up and bent.

MVC-580F.jpg

Rotor

Last edited by a moderator:
Ya know Rotor, I was gonna go out last night and pinch me a Ballast Regulator, but then I saw they had it chained up!!!! What do they think, someone will throw it in their pick-up truck?? LOL

Steel ties are used though not very common, yet. Also used, Plastics, Wood/plastic mix, Concrete, Wood, and some other crafty items.

Great photos, everyone.

Rotor, that is kind of funny that they would put a wimpy chain and lock on something as big as a ballast tamper. Makes you wonder what the railroad thought anyone was going to do with it. Steel ties are starting to compete with concrete and wood tie replacements. See http://narstco.com/products.html for information on steel ties.

John, nice looking trackside grass and weeds and that steam engine is a real beauty, especially with those steam effects,

Grampy, you've really done a good job with detailing your layout. Every time I look at the pictures again, I see something new.

Mac, that is one honking big grain elevator! Does it have its own switcher?

Jeffrey, nice job on that graffiti.

Don, that's a nice looking engine but not much good if you can't get smoke to stop coming out of the tender. :( Hope you're able to make it work. Nice graffiti on that covered hopper though.

Ray, nice results from that unfortunate landslide. The rockwork really looks great.

Eric, love those night shots, especially the first one. Looks like you even included a fusee on the tracks.

I've probably missed a few of you and I apologize but I didn't see one bad picture. I'm hoping to get down to the layout and take some more pictures soon.

Great work every one. we are moving to a new warehouse, which is located along a set of Norfolk Southern main line. we were there for an hour last week and a saw two trains, so its a busy spot....Can't wait....Ryan

Damn! This is a really good weekend for photos. Maybe it's the Fathers Day vibe.
Speaking of... I got an early Dad's Day present from my kids. They couldn't wait to give it to me. Well, after agonizing on the phone with my wife on how to get to the LHS, They came home with 2 new sets of weathering chalks; grey scale set and rust and earth tones set. And also the kids saw a "Harold the Helicopter" from Thomas the Tank Engine. They said it's for me but they are playing with it more then I ever will.;)

While the were roaming the streets finding the LHS, I had time to finish the overpass bridge I've been working on.

Here's the tull fencing installed.
100_3173.jpg

100_3174.jpg

And a little extra patriotism for the engineers passing under it.
100_3179.jpg

This is both installed on each side.
100_3181.jpg

I printed them off the computer. I found a nice flag on the net, saved it and kept 50% it down to a good size and then first time I print it out it just happened to be a scale 3'x5'. Can you say lucky.
100_3177.jpg

More to come from me... and hopefully from you guys.

Nice work on the SW 1000, Jerome. The silver painted Flexi's really set it off.

Ron, the bridge and the fencing came out very nice. What did you use to secure the fabric to the uprights? Nice touch with the American flag too. :)

Great photos, everyone.

Mac, that is one honking big grain elevator! Does it have its own switcher?

I'm not sure. That is one of three huge grain complexes in Saginaw. I don't think the smallest and most southern is still used. There is a fourth that is just down the line in Ft. Worth.

Nice work on the SW 1000, Jerome. The silver painted Flexi's really set it off.

Ron, the bridge and the fencing came out very nice. What did you use to secure the fabric to the uprights? Nice touch with the American flag too. :)

Jerome, Ditto on the SW1000.

For the fence and flag I used small drops of gel CA glue.

Friday night I had a chance to temporarily install the bridge at the club.
100_3183.jpg

100_3184.jpg

100_3185.jpg

Nothing is glued in yet. I decided to make the scenery around it first. The tan stuff is sculptamold with a universal tint added.
100_3189.jpg

100_3190.jpg

100_3191.jpg

Here's a couple quick videos I did.

VIDEO 1

VIDEO 2

Back