Weekend photofun 13/14/15 June

ITS WEEKEND !!!:D

061308steam4.jpg

061308steam.jpg

061308steam3.jpg

John
RJR

Fantastic photos everyone! Grampy, your stuff is top drawer!!!

I've been playing around with two Canon external flash units. The following images used a camera mounted "master" flash set to shoot up into a white ceiling reflector for "fill" (reduced power) and the main light coming from a second, wireless slave flash hand held at different angles. Both used blue gel (colored plastic film) over the flash heads. Since I just bought the second flash this week, I'm hoping to refine the technique with practice.

Rocky Mountain nights on the Rio Grande...

Night shift at Split Rock Mine #4.
2575534686_7417c07972_o.jpg

F3s at Sedalia, Colo under a bright moon. (that station is slated for replacement soon with something more "western" and without see thru walls;) )
2575836511_7bc796e936_o.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Grande Man: Your photos are just breath taking. Being fairly new to digital photography, I didn't realize you could even do that. It's amazing! Great job!

Grande man- great night pics! awesome idea of flashing the light upwards instead of directly onto the scene. Might be a little too blue though, maybe try using a lighter shade of blue gel?

GrampysTrains- I really like that scene. Do you have any more pics of it to show?

Grande man- great night pics! awesome idea of flashing the light upwards instead of directly onto the scene. Might be a little too blue though, maybe try using a lighter shade of blue gel?

You know, I tend to agree. I went back and adjusted the color temp of the RAW file. It's "warmed" up a bit now. Thanks for the honest feedback!

Grande Man,
Maybe the second photo is a little too blue, but I personally wouldn't change the first one. Everything, composition, angle, lighting and mood, all comes together in an exceptional manner for me. Not much else to add but "well done indeed".
Tom

Grande Man,
Maybe the second photo is a little too blue, but I personally wouldn't change the first one. Everything, composition, angle, lighting and mood, all comes together in an exceptional manner for me. Not much else to add but "well done indeed".
Tom

I warmed both of them up a bit.

I was in a hurry when I originally edited them, but they look pretty good on my calibrated monitor now. I think you must have been viewing them before I completed the second re edit. Thanks for checking them out and for the feedback!

Here's the original third image from the original post. It's a re edit too. This loco is a P1K. It needs lit number boards! I don't care for the tight track curvature, but somehow this shot does something for me (the shadows, I think). :confused:

2575836937_be2507f5b7_o.jpg

Grande Photos as always Eric. Here's my latest project: Okay, I know these aren't Railroad photos, but as a sidebar thing, I sometimes build Military Models,just to keep my skills from going stale. Enjoy. William.

Grande man, very nice shots! :eek: WOW!

Nothing new at the moment, just some oldies...

RS3.jpg

RS33.jpg

RS333.jpg

GrampysTrains- I really like that scene. Do you have any more pics of it to show?

Hi Derek: Thanks for your reply. Here's a couple more of this scene.
P1010413.png
P1010418.jpg

Wow, you guys are playing for keeps this weekend. I'll try to keep pace, but I don't know that it's possible. Anyway, here is what I have this weekend.

I used some left over sprue and some styrened kit bits, and acrylic paints, to fashion a standpipe from scratch. It will be difficult to see, but I also added coal on the spill ramp on the coaling tower in the distance.

IMG_2187cadj.png

-Crandell

The only ONLY car with graffiti on it is the "STORK" its a Cylindrical hopper with a very realistic looking bird on its sides. This thread has to be the best WPF we've had in a while!

Back