Weekend photo Fun 18 19 20 January 2008

I couldn't resist another picture today. We got our once a year 1" snowfall yesterday, now the sun is out and bright.

100_1409.jpg

Ditto Jerome very nice , Chip that tunnel looks like it's seen better days. Reminds me of some of the tunnels in NY. Is that your son in the Picture ? How fast does a train go thru there ? Like the snow in that last one. I can ship you a bit more snow if you want some

Last edited by a moderator:
Here's what I've been working on this weekend. The lead unit is a Proto 2000 E7-A and the trailing unit is an E6-B, also Proto 2000. Both were donations and needed some work. On the E6 the pickups in the front truck are whacked. The E7 had a bad lightboard and a broken gear. I repaired the E7 and wired the two units together. Being that both are powered they can pull a really long train, longer than I have space for.

P1010007-11.jpg

P1010009-7.jpg

erected an old tool store and mess room for the men up next to the retaining wall
10-08-07045-1.jpg

and deciding where to put the security fencing with pieces of paper
10-08-07047-1.jpg

Jerome, Is that the result of a decoder burn out !!! :)
Steve when you need that much palasade fence you need to get the quantities right !!!

Some months ago I won some weathering powders but was never brave enough to try them out. So tonight I had a go on my intermodals. Then had a play with the camera. I have added a bit of Exhaust smoke on Photoshop just to try it out.

Waiting for a green

waitingforagreen.jpg

Pulling out

fromthestation.jpg

Trainspotters view
trainspotting.jpg

Into the tunnel
smoke.jpg

Closeup of container
closeup.jpg

John
RJR

Nice pictures everyone, I'm trying to work hard on my layout so maybe I can start to post some pictures too.

I'm still way far from that target, since first I have to make sure all the track is ok and safe to run locos on without derailing and also have tyo make sure the electrical distribution is ok, and still have to make the throttle board, I'm trying to find someone who can design the board for me, and maybe I can also print it.

I'm also a bit busy in my studying and at work, many computers to repair & service :).

BTW, nice ballast John, what is that, ready made ballast bought in bags or somethign you made yourself?

Nice job everyone.

The traffic light and the cantilevered crossing are both walthers models to answer an earlier question. I still need to wire the crossings up to work with DCC...it's a shame the Walthers crossing controller doesn't do that. It might get a little more complicated because some crossings mix Tomar signals with the Walthers ones. Thoughts anyone?

Shaun, if you're using DCC, those Walthers crossing signal contollers will fry your DCC control station and any decoders that are on the track at the time. I have no idea why they made such a dumb move. Check out the LogicRail GCP Grade Crossing Pro Signal Controller at http://cgi.ebay.com/LogicRail-GCP-G...hZ002QQcategoryZ11644QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItem. Jim knows his stuff when it comes to track and crossing signals and can give you some good advice on how to set up a grade crossing detector system.

John, the weathering looks great to me. The tunnels signals look good too.

Jerome, that wreck looks like...well...a real wreck. :) I should have thought about laying down a few sections of track in the snow yesterday and taking some pictures. We had enough that the pilot mounted plows would have had some work to do.

Steve, my crew has to eat outside on a picnic table behind the broken down engine house. :) That's a lot of chain link fence you need. Any idea what you're going to use.

Joe, nice lighing on that picture. What railroad is it?

Jeffrey, first time I've seen an Operation Lifesaver decal on an E-6. :D Nice job on the paint though.

Last edited by a moderator:
SpaceMouse,

As far as I can see in that picture you are asking about, the sign with the number 32 on it, isn't that a mile marker or a longitude/latitude marker? As far as the plate, well, maybe the one tie was warped and they used that plated to hold it in position?

Just a guess on both parts.

John: Nice work on those signals. I can't belive how fast for layout is progressing.

Bob: That's how I feel at work some days, the boss watching my every move! Cool photo

Steve B: Nice work on the engine terminal. That ground level shot is really nice. Those prototype shots are cool. I like seeing those Euro Diesels in action, as they look totally different then what I'm used to seeing.

Jim: nice work over the last quarter. The backdrop helps a lot. Glad to see the wind died down for the second shot :)

Tom: Beautiful train, as always. I like the refers on the head end.

Shaun: Nice layout and units.

Josh: I agree with you on the lack of detail on Kato locos compared to the other high end brands. I hope that start to improve. I'm surprised about the noisy motors though.

Alcomotive: Good luck with that GP60 Demo build. I'd recommend using Athearn cabs to kit bash from as they have thicker plastic so you can round the corners easier. Try using a GP50 dynamic brake blister as a starting point for that part. I may do one of those units in CSX one day, as that is where they ended up.

Selector: Cool shot, I've always liked sepia toned shots myself. A little photoshop smoke and that picture would be real!

Jeffrey: Its always nice to fix up an old unit and get it back into service. Good work.

Chip: Nice shots. That tunnel is very cool. That would make a great item to model. As for the metal plate on the ties, I've seen those to mark things going under the tracks, like cables, but the surroundings don't look right for that.

Jake C: Nice start. Tell us more. Is that a road coming out of the tunnel and over the track, or tracks going over tracks?

Jerome: Excellent work on that wrecked GE. Thats my favourite kind :D

Joe: Nice shot, I love SD60F's

And here's my little contribution to this weeks thread. The newest additions to my fleet, a pair of Athearn Genesis MP15AC's in CP red switching the UGG elevator in Springfield on the WMRC.

I've also been working on some VIA Rail LRC cars from Rapido Trains. It is a very nice resin kit. These three are almost ready to paint. Rapido recently announced releasing RTR models of these cars in future.

cheers gents, the engine terminal is going to take delivery of a shed for the concrete hardstanding, when i make it that is. For the fence at the rear i have some very fine mozzie netting / window screening material, and for the front plastic palisade fencing, when i find some for sale. I'll also do some brick walls from card, the same as the wall, that should soften the blow to the pocket

Great pics from everyone I REALLY look forward to weekendphotofun. Its nice to be a part of a regular thread where everyone sees the best in everyone elses work !!! If there are any rivet counters amongst our midst they hide themselves well to the added enjoyment of all participants.

Steve I have seen someone use car P38 Car body work bandage as very realistic chain link fencing ? Failing that my fencing was from Arcadia

John
RJR

Back