Weekend photo Fun 18 19 20 January 2008

After trying several plans for signals it became obvious i couldnt get the true prototype look partly because of my lack of knowldege partly because the track layout is non prototypical. So a few weeks ago I added some ground signals. now I have a gantry with colour lights.

gantry.jpg

gantry1.jpg

gantry2.jpg

The lights along with a single colour signal at the other end of the tunnel are controlled by a 3 pole 4way rotary switch.

John
RJR

I have this old image in my Photobucket account, was posted on another forum so I might as well share it here too.

Caption: "Hey you little people, get back to work! I brought you into the world and I can take you out too!"

REBfisheyeenginehouse.png

John, Thats a good lookin signal bridge. Gotta love them Bi Color LED's

Bob, Wow! Between the caption and the photo.. I'm wearin a huge smile, Thanks!

John, very nice rig up on those signals. Track and level crossing signals are next on my list and I keep putting it off because I know it will be a lot of work. I've got optical detectors for the level crossing but I haven't decided on what I want to use for signal controls. Some manual switches are starting to sound good now but I'll see how big a pain the optical detectors for the level crossings are first.

Bob, don't scare me like that. :eek: I had a boss who used to stare in my office window like that. He even had that same fish-eye shaped head.

Steve, is that a satellite dish I spy in that left hand corner of the first picture? If so, did you buy it as a kit or scratch built it? I need one of these things.

Josh, what has you disappointed in the Kato unit? The paint sure looks good. Is it details, running quality, or what?

Here's what I call a "Blast from the Past". This is what downtown looked like on 8/27/2007:
AVDowntownLookingNorthMedium.jpg

And here is what it looks like today:

downtown1_18_08Medium.jpg

In addition to the fact that my photography skills have (slightly) improved, it's interesting to look back and see the progress I've made in the last five months, especially when those times come when I think I got nothing done.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jim it's a Kibri kit, now unavailable i believe, it is positionable so i motorised it, just on the horizontal rotation not the verticle plane, it's a nice kit though
Josh the Kato looks damaged as well up front, is this postal damage ??

John
Nice job on the signals!

Bob
Neat shot!

Steve
Cool looking yard with locos!

Josh
Nice set of locos!

Jim
That is great progress!

We went down to Castle Rock and caught the Royal Unicorn, the B&O’s through passenger train on the RK&M. Today it had a lot of express business and a C&O through car for Washington.

BandOPassenger002a.jpg

P2K E7A; B&O

BandOPassenger004a.jpg

P2K E8B; B&O

BandOPassenger006a.jpg

P2K E8A; B&O

BandOPassenger008a.jpg

Walthers 50’ REA Express Reefer; Santa Fe

BandOPassenger010a.jpg

Walthers GACX Wood Reefer; Railway Express Agency

BandOPassenger012a.jpg

Walthers GACX Wood Reefer; Railway Express Agency

BandOPassenger013a.jpg

Walthers C&O Style Troop Sleeper Conversion Express Car; B&O

BandOPassenger016a.jpg

Walthers C&O Style Troop Sleeper Conversion Express Car; B&O

BandOPassenger018a.jpg

Athearn Blue Box RPO Baggage Car; B&O

BandOPassenger020a.jpg

Walthers ACF 70’Heavyweight Baggage Car; B&O

BandOPassenger022a.jpg

Walthers Pullman Heavyweight 12-1 Sleeper Car; Pullman

BandOPassenger024a.jpg

Walthers Pullman Heavyweight 12-1 Sleeper Car; B&O

BandOPassenger026a.jpg

Walthers Heavyweight Diner; B&O

BandOPassenger028a.jpg

Walthers Heavyweight Paired Window Coach; B&O

BandOPassenger030a.jpg

Walthers Heavyweight Paired Window Coach; B&O

BandOPassenger032a.jpg

Walthers Heavyweight Paired Window Coach; C&O

Hi all John signals look good . Josh that BNSF front does look funky, Steve I do like your fueling platform. Jim looks like the city is moving along. But where is the watertower ? Tom nice looking B&O train there.

Dang, Steve, I thought it was the Kibri kit. I should have picked up one when they were available.

Tom, that's a really nice looking train. I like the name - Royal Unicorn. :) Those Walthers cars sure do look good. I love my P2K E7. She's one sweet running engine. She's next on the bench for a decoder.

Paul, the water tower is at the other end of the layout now. As usual, things don't fit once you start adding scenery and the water tower was displaced by the backdrop. It actually looks better there. Even though it's the correct HO scale for a city water tower, it was a little overpowering to be so close to downtown.

Hey all...I haven't posted in here in forever, so I thought I'd update you all on the modern DT&I with these photos! Enjoy!

First up is DT&I SD40-2...a Kato model I customized.
lightermrrpics001.jpg

GP40-2 407 sits on a siding by the water fall. It's a super detailed Athearn model.
trafficlightetc033.jpg

The resident cat at the depot.
trafficlightetc043.jpg

GP35 353 on the C&O/B&O connector headed for home rails. (Athearn Model)
trafficlightetc046.jpg

6253 crosses US 50 as it heads up the C&O to pick up an interchange.
trafficlightetc020.jpg

All- Concerning the Kato Dash 9. I don't believe any of the hype about them being better then Athearn.
1- All 3 of the Kato Dash 9's I recently bought are louder then my Athearn's.
2- The unit has molded on sand filler covers, which look like crap, the rear filler does not dip in as far as it should, I prefer the separate casting of the Athearns, when it comes to sand fillers.
3- The AC unit looks like an after thought, like the designer thought "Oh crap, we forgot the AC unit", it completely lacks ALL detail.
4- The H1 unit has the wrong grills, even Athearn didn't screw that up.
5- The H1 unit has the wrong side frames, again, even Athearn didn't screw that up.

Now, as for the BNSF unit, I got it cheap, due to a damaged front handrail and missing rear handrail, which does not bother me.

tompm, how do you like those athearn heavyweights? i might pick up some or the walthers heavyweights. some might become hacked up cars for certain parts.

Tom Nice shots, always looks warm and sunny down your way
shaun love the DT&I shots, the cats happy

Back