Weekend photo Fun 18 19 20 January 2008

Tourtime today, this is the first passenger train to travel onto the Ribblesteam railway in over a year hauled by 37401 + 67029
10-08-07002-8.jpg

10-08-07003-6.jpg

10-08-07006-5.jpg

10-08-07007-2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Shaun your detail on your DT&I locos and layout are awesome.

Josh I appreciate your report man! Interesting about Kato...Athearn I believe is doing very well these days.... Another note I am still looking around for a cab of the original GP60 (demo style) but I think I may have to try my hand at scratch building it. Any thougts where to look before I start hacking GP60 cabs?

tompm, how do you like those athearn heavyweights? i might pick up some or the walthers heavyweights. some might become hacked up cars for certain parts.

I like the Athearn ones because they generally give me no trouble running around the layout. The Walthers cars are more expensive and it always seems I am tweeking them. I have change couplers, fiddle with the trucks, etc. Also not all the grab irons are installed. Sometimes it seems like a lot of work for a $45.00 car. Granted some of the problems I have are because of some of my tight radius but half the cars go around the layout with no problems the other hald derail sometimes. They do look great in the photos, however.

Shaun, nice modeing and photography. In your last picture, what is the cantilevered crossing signal attached to? It doesn't look like it's coming from the crossbuck on the right. The traffic light looks good - is that the Walthers model?

Steve, nice pictures as well. Is that a runaway track or what in that first picture? Somehow, I think most of the drivers backed up at that level crossing weren't as excited to see that train as you were. :)

Tom, I've held off on getting Walthers passenger cars because of all the reports of them being so fiddly, especially on less than 26" radius curves. The Bachmann Spectrum line of passenger cars has at least as good a detail level as Walthers, cost less, and run on my 22" radius curves with no problems. Most of my AHM and Athearn heavyweights run well too although the detail level certainly doesn't match what you get from Walthers.

Jim

I only got the Walthers cars because some of the roads offered and styles are only available from Walthers. I am not sure if I will get more. I would like to get a set of the Spectrum B&O cars. I have the PRR set but I need to replace a couple that have been damaged over the years. The Spectrum cars run fine on 18 inch radius that I have used in the past.

Lots of activity and great images already, everyone. Thanks for all of your efforts and contributions. :D

I have gotten bitten by an antiquy bug and am enjoying the sepia tones. I hope they work for you.

Here, an S1b Niagara, #6001, flashes by on the highland route above Seneca Falls with a short stack of heavies.

1657sepr.jpg

Yes Jim it's a runaway trap, just round the bend is a combined rail / road swing bridge, don't want to go swimming in a train, it's the old enterance to Preston docks and is around 40 - 45ft deep at high tide, it's Very rare to see a train here, the daily loaded oil train goes through at 6am and the empties go back over at 8.30am, last pasenger train was well over a year ago

Ive continued work on the signals. I have had some feedback suggesting I need them to be more prototypical, but I think Im on the limits of my abilties :D Its taken me several days of thinking to get the wiring for these so they interlock !!

Ive used black to paint out some of the LED so the lamp appears smaller.

Entering the tunnel
S7003197.jpg

On the otherside of the tunnel
S7003204.jpg

A bit of maintainance
S7003198.jpg

Weathered the track around the station more
S7003209.jpg

The signal at the end of the left platform had to be higher to be seen over the platform edge
S7003203.jpg

John
RJR

This week it warmed up a little and I decided to take a walk with my dog. I had it in mind to find my way to the tracks because I could hear the horns of the coal drag at 1 am in the distance and I knew they were in the area. In the winter, with the follage down, I figure I had a shot. Well, I hiked about 1/2 mile on some decent trails and all of a sudden I was on top of them.

My goal is to catch an SD-45 coming out of the tunnel. The tunnel was built in 1903 for the Buffalo, Rochester, & Pittsburgh and I bet there may be as little as 6" of clearance in places.

Notice how tight the curves are. I did not zoom to make them seem tighter. They seem pretty tight for out in the sticks. No doubt, more remnants of the BR&P.

In picture 4, there is a number and a steel plate bolted to the ties. Any ideas what the plate is for?

bprr01.jpg

bprr02.jpg

bprr03.jpg

bprr04.jpg

bprr05.jpg

Good pictures Eric,,, sorry Chip ;) Thats a tight looking tunnel, looks a bit battered about as well.

John i got a can of spray matt varnish today for models, did a test on a small card building, OK so did the retaining wall, oh dear, if you apply to much you get white fogging a bit like the blooming you get when you spray celulose paint in cold air, after several light coats and lots of weathering powder the balance has been returned, a close call with disaster. lesson - spray it on in several very light coats

Signals,,, type in ECKON in search on ebay, loads of cheap good quality signals, and they are easy to build

Hope this works first time trying to post a pic this way.

Heres a pic of my diorama I started last week. I decided to build a diorama before I build my full size layout to get some practice.
Its slowly coming along.

011908dioramaprogress2.png

John, those signals look close enough to prototye for me. I can't imagine how getting a kit is going to get you much closer to the real thing.

Steve, I thought that looked like a runaway track. It looks like the amount of sand on those tracks will either stop the train pretty fast or put it over on its side.

Jeffrey, the decals look good. I didn't know the KCS had black locomotives but I also am not much of a KCS fan.

Chip, that's a really off tunnel. I wonder why it was buit with such high vertical clearances and is so tight horizontally? From the looks of the portal, more than a few loads have knocked some chunks out of the concrete. Those curves are really tight. I wonder if there's a valley that the track is following. I also wonder why they have two whistle posts in such close proximity? I can't see anything attached to a tie in that fourth picture but maybe it's my crummy monitor.

Shaun your detail on your DT&I locos and layout are awesome.

Josh I appreciate your report man! Interesting about Kato...Athearn I believe is doing very well these days.... Another note I am still looking around for a cab of the original GP60 (demo style) but I think I may have to try my hand at scratch building it. Any thougts where to look before I start hacking GP60 cabs?
I'd say, go slow..., and use the Athearn cab as a starting point.

A couple of units that have seen better days................

100_1399.jpg

Is that from the Matfield Green, KS wreck a couple years ago? Sad, scary and impressive all at the same time.

I have a friend that modeled some F1 wrecks in progress. They were amazing models with the car up in the fence and coming apart. He got a lot of flack from other modelers, they said it wasn't good taste.

Hi Jerome, fantastic job on modeling that BNSF loco, certainly compares to the photos of the wreck. A very believable likeness nice work.

Cheers Willis

Back